MONTAUK: Get-home engine

A conversation among Whalers
kuskokwim

MONTAUK: Get-home engine

Postby kuskokwim » Thu May 23, 2019 11:23 am

I need a get-home engine for my new (old) Montauk. Haven't put it in the water yet. but [I] have a 90 Honda on the transom--which I hear from prior owners is more than enough weight in the stern. So I will carry the kicker anndput it on when needed.

I'm female, older, and not as strong as I used to be, and I live in Alaska with unpredictable water. I'm careful but will get caught in bad weather by definition. And the main engine will conk out just when I need it most. I have to be able to horse the kicker onto the transom when I'm getting bounced around.

[What is the] lightest, smallest, reliable, easy-start engine I can carry that will either get me into a sheltered cove or home?

Phil T

Re: Get-home engine for older Montauk

Postby Phil T » Fri May 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Given you are in Alaska where it can be very remote, weather changes can be/are quick and sometimes severe, I would mount the kicker on the transom and connect it to the fuel system and add a tie bar to the main motor.

When you run into trouble, you will not want/have time to install a kicker. It's a pita for those who are young-ish and in good shape.

Move the battery and any other items in the stern forward to the console. Consider the front bow cooler for dry storage.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

kuskokwim

Re: Get-home engine for older Montauk

Postby kuskokwim » Fri May 24, 2019 2:13 pm

Thanks for response. Because of what you said I am seriously rethinking carrying the kicker, and instead thinking of mounting it. Also thinking that if I put the boat fuel tank in front of the console it will help bring the stern up a bit.

I am likely to go for a 4-HP two stroke and lighter engine.

And I will not be ocean bound much. Lots of harbors and islands around to duck into.