Having Hard Time Determining Value

A conversation among Whalers
lonerock

Having Hard Time Determining Value

Postby lonerock » Tue May 28, 2019 12:14 am

I just picked up a very nice 1971 Outrage 21 Ribside. I'm having a hard time determining its value. If it's not worth a bunch of money I will keep it and use it.

The value is hard to determine. It looks like a very well kept original boat.

The Bearcat twins were replaced in 1976 with new 85hp Mercury engine. Both engines start and run.

No bottom paint. It doesn't have the gelcoat cracks like every other whaler I have owned.

I found a 1972 date on the Mills top.

The boat was last in the water about 5 years ago and has been kept inside most of its life.
Last edited by lonerock on Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Phil T

Re: Having Hard Time Determing Value

Postby Phil T » Tue May 28, 2019 4:57 pm

Oh my she is fantastic.

As for value, most buyers are looking toward new power so your target would be the collector. Guestimate is 10-12k for the right buyer.

Banana Outrage's are becoming more rare each year. Yours is very authentic with lots of original details (canvas, red compass, gauges, saddle tanks etc) and does not look molested.

I would keep it and give it some TLC.

Change the wobble rollers for bunks to support the hull.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: Having Hard Time Determining Value

Postby jimh » Wed May 29, 2019 9:08 am

If you just bought the boat, you must have already determined its value to you based on the price you paid--unless you inherited it or it was a gift.

I think you are now asking for others to offer you their opinion of the value of the boat to themselves, perhaps to assess if you can immediately sell the boat ("flip it") and make a profit. Is that correct?

I will offer a brief assessment:

• these old 21-foot round bottom hulls ride like surfboards, and I would not want to be in any significant head seas on them; not a boat for rougher water use, and this negatively affects my overall assessment of the boat.
  • old c.1976 or 43-year-old Mercury two-stroke-power-cycle engines that have not been run in five years are not my preference; the boat would need an immediate re-power; the cost of modern twins or a modern 150-HP single would be expensive and most likely greater than the value of the hull. The old engines may be restored to running condition, but their fuel systems would probably not tolerate blended ethanol-gasoline fuels, and they'd be likely to need some repairs. Even if you got them running, I would not go very far offshore with them as prime propulsion engines.
  • the full canvas is a nice feature, but it is 47-years-old; it might actually be canvas and not a modern fabric
  • the trailer is not appropriate and would need re-work or replacement; at a minimum it probably needs new tires and perhaps bearings to be road-worthy
  • the console appears modified from original, to the detriment of its aesthetic
  • the steering wheel may not or may not be OEM, but it would have to go
  • the prior owner appears to have been a big fan of gauges, so there are a lot of holes to be filled.

I see the boat as a decent starting point for someone who has a particular interest in this model inasmuch as all the major components are there and appear to be in good shape. The rib-side hull is not as common as the smooth-side, so perhaps it adds value.

I see a lot of work ahead and perhaps an expensive re-power.

I see the boat as a day-use boat for protected water, albeit a large one that will be somewhat awkward to trailer, somewhat expensive to get into running condition, and then a perhaps a bit cranky to run with smoky old two-stroke engines.

I would not be a prospective buyer, so I cannot really put a figure on the value; the value to me is probably below the fair market price. You need a buyer who has been searching for a hull like this, who loves very old Mercury engines, and who adores the Ribside model. Unfortunately, the only guy I know like that already has two of these boats and they are in museum grade condition. He is in his late-70's and may not be up to buying, restoring, and owning a third one.