150 MONTAUK v. 150 SUPER SPORT

A conversation among Whalers
Conam

150 MONTAUK v. 150 SUPER SPORT

Postby Conam » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:43 am

In looking for a boat for my wife—something small to go back and forth from Glendale docks to Welch—I have mostly decided on a Boston Whaler, but I am torn between the 150 SUPER SPORT and the 150 MONTAUK.

I'm thinking the side console of the 150 SUPER SPORT might make it easier for her to dock than the center console of the 150 MONTAUK.

To anyone that has experience with either boat, please offer some advice.

Does the 150 MONTAUK have a self-bailing hull?

The 150 SUPER SPORT is self-bailing, and this is a must for us.

macfam

Re: self-bailing hull

Postby macfam » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:13 am

Re a self-bailing hull:

A 150 MONTAUK does not have the classic self-bailing hull, that is, a hull interior above the water-line with scuppers that drain out. However, our 150 MONTAK has a Sahara-brand pump with internal float switch. This works great—providing the float remains free, doesn’t stick, and the boat battery is good. Check the pump regularly to make sure the float is free.

As a last resort, forget the pump, and pull the aft plug. Some water will intrude, but any additional rain water with drain out. Is that self- bailing? Sorta.

Check how the 150 SUPER SPORT drains. The way the 150 SUPER SPORT drains may be different than the way the 150 MONTAUK drains.

For docking purposes, the Montauk would be the easiest. You are [literally] standing in the middle of the boat and have access in any direction. Our 150 MONTAUK is so easy to maneuver that docking becomes a piece of cake. I’m not into jumping over seats.

jimh

Re: Comfort in rough water

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:02 am

With no experience on either boat, I can still advise that being able to stand while steering at the helm will allow more comfort in rough water than if seated.

Clay

Re: 150 MONTAUK v. 150 SUPER SPORT

Postby Clay » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:13 pm

Being able to stand supported at the helm has enough advantages that I would recommend the Montauk.

Rascal

Postby Rascal » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:01 pm

I assume you are looking at used boats based on the previous generation hull since the new model of the Sport is a 160 Super Sport not a 150.

I've owned both the 150 Montauk and the 150 Sport.

My 2004 150 Sport was great when my kids were little as the bench seats let them sit close to us (versus being separated by a console on the Montauk). The benches are low, so stepping over is not a problem. We bought an extra backrest cushion and I used KING StarBoard to fill in the opening in the backrest. That made that section of the seat more comfortable. Sitting lower also felt safer with little kids. At times we had two parents, two grandparents, and two small kids out for a cruise. The Sport is easy to dock, but you need to rely on the person on the port side to help since you can't easily walk around them. There is plenty of room for coolers and other stuff since you don't have a console or livewell in the way of the floor.

My 2008 150 Montauk was great when my kids got bigger. I changed the forward cooler seat to a 7- quart, which made for more comfortable seating for two kids or one kid and one adult. The 150 Montauk feels like a bigger boat even though it's the same hull as the 150 Sport. Standing allows your legs to absorb impacts. If you get tired of standing, then driving while sitting is not as great since you can't see as well. Standing also lets you see into the water better to avoid shallow water or submerged objects ahead. The open deck allows you to easily walk around for docking or other needs, including when you have seated passengers. Seating is limited to one or two smaller people on the cooler and two people at the helm seat. The console and cooler provide some storage, although it's easy to add a cooler to either.

The 150 Montauk was the best boat I've owned when considering value for the price. That said, the 150 Sport was definitely the right boat for us when the kids were smaller.
Rascal (Scott)
2015 170 Montauk

Buoy

Postby Buoy » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:45 pm

[Two-years nine-months later]
Both the 150 Montauk and 150 Super Sport are self bailing.

[If] the drain plugs are left in [accumulating water can be removed by pumps]. If the drain plugs are removed [and pumps are switched off, some seawater may accumulate on deck.]