Miami Internation Boat Show 2016

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

Miami Internation Boat Show 2016

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:52 pm

The 2016 Miami International Boat Show sounds like it was a success in its debut at an entirely new location. I read some comments in a trade publication from Boston Whaler that they were very happy with the new venue because it gave them greater exhibit space. I think they brought more boats to the show than ever before. They also had in-water docks right at hand.

The boating manufacturer association NMMA recognized Mercury outboard engines and Boston Whaler boats for excellent customer satisfaction survey results.

I did not hear of any new models introduced by Boston Whaler, but apparently Brunswick had other brands with some new hulls, including a large pontoon boat from their Harris brand. Pontoons are very strong sellers these days, so not surprising that Brunswick would go forward in that market.

Brunswick also announced that retiring CEO Dustan McCoy would be succeeded by Brunswick President and COO Mark Schwabero.

If others have newsworthy observations from the show--or even not so newsworthy observations--please chime in.

Fittingly, the weekend of the Miami Boat Show was absolutely the coldest weekend of the winter so far here in Michigan. Temperatures in SE Michigan were down to 0-degrees-F and in the upper peninsula a temperature of -30-degrees-F was observed by HOOSIER at his deep-in-the-woods northern retreat. Oh, to be in Miami that weekend--it would have been a great change in climate.

dgoodhue

Re: Miami Internation Boat Show 2016

Postby dgoodhue » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:24 am

Boston Whaler debut the redesigned Outrage 250 at Miami Boat show. They also recently changed the Outrage 280 and 330 Outrage (previously 320) for 2016. Comparing specs, all three models grew in length and weight. For instance the 250 grew from 24'6" to 25'5". I watched boat test review and they said BW add a pad to the 280/330 models (I have not seen a 250 boat test yet) which the driver said made them feel more agile and lighter.

At the Boston Boat Show, they had the new 280 and 330 Outrage models, which I checked out. I am pretty familiar with the Outrage 250/280/320 as those are the current models that I am most interested in. The off white/gray seating is now shades of beige. They have the front seat lounge like the Outrage 350/370. It does have quite a bit more storage under the front lounge. The front seating is smaller and cut into the bow section. The center console is now gray and has what I assume is marine vinyl black dash pad. Both models can be order with the Verado 350's. In the Outrage 280, this ups the top speed to 61mph (this is Whaler fastest current model). The 330 had a rear facing seat/table built into the lean post that I haven't seen before (removing the sink/live well/cooler options the leaning post has had before). it is probably an optional configuration. I suspect the additional length was added between the leaning post and transom. Most of the boat seemed otherwise similar (hard top construction, rails, trolling seats, under floor storage/access, console head & storage)

I mostly didn't like the changes. Personally I prefer the off white/gray color scheme from before. The black dash pad to me seem like it will one of those items that will look bad in 15 years. I don't know how replaceable it will be. I prefer the prior front seating vs have a sun lounge that takes up a bunch of room, but I don't lounge in the sun. At least the front seating cut into the bow seem to expand the front cockpit a little bit. The Outrage 250 does not have the front seat lounge, the front seat looks like it might integrated into the console vs the cooler it previously had.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:35 pm

Many thanks from me for that comprehensive report.

msirof2001

Postby msirof2001 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:38 pm

After reading this discussion thread, I went to the Boston Whaler website to get more information on the new 250 OUTRAGE. It appears like the distance between the back of the leaning post to the back of the cockpit is about the same distance as the back of the cockpit to the back of the engines. I'm not sure what these euro transoms aim to accomplish. It seems like my 21 OUTRAGE has the same size cockpit. The one thing that really struck me odd out of everything was the performance stats. Their performance report had two Verado 225's. The best they could come up with was slightly under 1.7 statute miles per gallon? That's just wrong for a boat of the size. I'm not sure what the conditions were at the time of the test, whether there was a propeller on both engines, or whether there was the transducer the size of a 5 gallon bucket. Go see for yourself. Competing models at Grady, Everglades and Edgewater did much better. The other thought I had about this boat was that it appears like there is a huge hatch in the cockpit floor between the leaning post in the transom. That was prohibit somebody from putting an aftermarket bait tank back there. While Gulf Coast and Atlantic Ocean bait can survive in a 5 gallon bucket filled with Cheez whiz, in the Pacific is much different. We call all of these East Coast design live wells, dead wells. There is a decent market for aftermarket bait tanks here in the West. The only challenge is when the design of a boat prohibits any opportunity to install one. Large cockpit hatches like what it appears this outrage has, and what I have seen in the conquest line are obstacles for installing aftermarket bait tanks that support West Coast bait. I don't think a West Coast bait tank would have a negative impact on East Coast bait. I wish the manufactures would make a West Coast bait tank the least common denominator in their design.
Current: 2017 Everglades 295cc, Previous1: 1995 Boston Whaler Outrage 21, Previous2: 1974 Sevylor Caravelle 3-man liferaft.

andygere

Postby andygere » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:53 pm

Has anyone taken a close look at the new Outrage 25 at the Miami show or elsewhere?

Too much (big) deck furniture and giant 4-stroke powerheads (that require lots of room to tilt) are the big deck space eaters on these modern boats. Nice looking boat, but for a 25 footer, not a lot of fishing room and no place to put a big bait tank. The 30 gallon tank under the leaning couch is bigger than most factory tanks, but small compared to many of the aftermarket tanks out there.
1989 Outrage 22 Cuddy

myakka

Postby myakka » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:16 pm

test drove the new 330 outrage today. Overall the thing was admirable. Not sold on the digital steering. took some getting used to , especially at slow speeds. ran it up to 34 kts going with the 2.5' seas. When we came about and ran into the waves the salesman had me bring it up into the 40s. the bow came down a bit and the boat ran even more stable. Not a serious test but a great ride.