Sell Dauntless Without Engine

A conversation among Whalers
DauntlessNY

Sell Dauntless Without Engine

Postby DauntlessNY » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:03 pm

We bought a 1996 Dauntless 15 last year with a Johnson 70-HP. The engine has been a nightmare, we fired all the electrical earlier this season. Since then we have discovered we really need a bigger boat, otherwise I'd pay the $10,000 to re-power with a new engine.

Can we sell just the hull.

The hull is in great shape and has added new Mills bimini and all new cushions.

How can I figure out the value?

Jefecinco

Re: How to sell Dauntless without engine

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:19 am

Advertise or list the boat as usual. "1996 Dauntless 15 Needs Engine Work" would be a place to start, assuming the engine is on the boat.
Butch

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:26 am

Where are you located? You can sell it as an engine in need of repair which will probably create a bigger audience as some may want to try & repair or recoup part of the price when sold as parts. What is the value of the boat with a running 70? How much is that 70 worth? Maybe $2k running. How much to fix electrical? A powerpack and/or stator is not that big of a deal. If it caught fire and everything is toast, scrap that idea.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

roundle1979

Postby roundle1979 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:47 am

When I started hunting for used Whalers I was actually looking for something that needed to be re-powered as I did not want to inherit someone else's old Outboard. That proved difficult (and I ended up buying a 2004 190 Nantucket w/ a Merc 135 Optimax w/ 170 hrs).

If the boat's in good shape, I'd advertise it as 'Clean Dauntless Prep'd for re-power'. There are people out there willing to buy a used hull but not a used outboard.

Just my two cents.
2004 Nantucket 190 w/ Mercury Optimax 135

jimh

Re: Sell Dauntless Without Engine

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:26 am

A three-cylinder Johnson 70-HP is a highly sought after engine. If the only problem is electrical there should be many interested buyers for just the engine. Those engine are wonderful classic carburetor two-stroke-power-cycle engines, and they can run forever. If the pistons and cylinders are all scuffed up, then not so much value is left.

Selling a boat without an engine is an interesting situation. The total package value will be reduced compared to a boat with an engine in good condition, but some buyers might prefer to buy no engine and re-power immediately. So no-engine may be more a more attractive target than boat with bad engine.