170 DAUNTLESS Stern Cleats for Trailer Tie-down

A conversation among Whalers
floris van den berg

170 DAUNTLESS Stern Cleats for Trailer Tie-down

Postby floris van den berg » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:05 am

Will [the stern cleats of a 170 DAUNTLESS] be strong enough to tie the boat onto the trailer?

I would like to use a boat buckle on each side. Normally I would have used the two tie-down loops in the transom, but the boat is sticking out too far to reach them.

What I do now is a large strap that I tie onto the trailer, over the gunwale and on the other side onto the trailer with a ratchet and tighten, it works but the buckles will work more easy and faster for me.

I know the stern cleats may not really ment to be used this way.

Has anyone experience with tying a boat to the trailer [using the stern cleats]?

jimh

Re: 170 DAUNTLESS Stern Cleats for Trailer Tie-down

Postby jimh » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:19 am

I have no information about the strength of the stern cleats on a 170 DAUNTLESS.

I have seen other Boston Whaler boats on trailers with the stern cleats used as tie-down anchor points.

I think the stern cleats are not as strong or not as as well-anchored to the boat or the boat hull at that point not as strong as the towing or lifting eyes through-bolted on the transom.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:58 am

Remember that you are not trying to hold down a 2000-lbs boat, you are trying to hold up a 600-lbs trailer.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:49 am

From Section 2, page 21 of the owners manual from 2016 for the 170 Dauntless.

Tie-Down Straps - Can be used to secure the boat from the stern. The tie-down straps hook into the tie- down loops on the trailer frame and to the stern eyes on the transom. Padding (or similar) chafe protection should be used wherever the tie-down straps come in contact with the hull.

I trailer 100%. Over 10+ years.

I would add that the strap should have 1 twist in it to prevent fluttering.

Straps over the gunwale are not the best since there is too much slack. Getting them tight can damage the gunwale.

I use ratchet straps but prefer the buckle style. Easier to tighten/loosen.
https://www.etrailer.com/Tie-Down-Straps/Erickson/EM06100.html

cf: http://bostonwhaler.com.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/170-Dauntless-Owners-Manual-2016.pdf
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

floris van den berg

Postby floris van den berg » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:56 am

I decided to give the tie-down loops in the transom a try after all, and I think I am happy the way it comes out.
Learned that you have to drill very low RPM in stainless steel, burned some drill-bits :) (it is a stainless steel trailer)

I also trailer my boats 100% of the times I go out with them.

Thanks for your replies and thoughts about this, attached some pictures:

http://i67.tinypic.com/20jqmpv.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/2i7skqu.jpg

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:06 pm

biggiefl wrote:Remember that you are not trying to hold down a 2000-lbs boat, you are trying to hold up a 600-lbs trailer.

I like that approach to the problem.

Rascal

Postby Rascal » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:31 pm

I agree using two transom tie downs is better than an over the gunwale strap. The transom tied down shorter strap length should allow less movement, and it doesn't risk damaging the topsides. It looks like you've setup the straps the best you can with that trailer.

I have concerns about the trailer you are using. One concern is it has rollers not bunks. Rollers can damage a Whaler Unibond hull since it focuses the weight in small spots rather than spreading it out. That said, I'm not familiar with those types of rollers and maybe they better distribute the weight.

The next concern is the transom hanging unsupported far away from the trailer. The heaviest point of your boat is at the transom due to the engine. Without support, you may see stress cracks at the transom or damage the underside of the hull in front of the transom.

Is it possible to move the winch post forward to move the boat forward enough to fully support the transom?

You'll need to check tongue weight if you do that.
Rascal (Scott)
2015 170 Montauk

floris van den berg

Postby floris van den berg » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:25 am

Hi Scott.

The rollers are soft, larger, and like an air tire, without having the inconvenience of them getting too soft over time.

The trailer has a sufficient amount—28 rollers—I don't worry about that. The trailer supports the boat really well.

I think you are right when talking about small hard plastic or black solid rubber or yellow urethane rollers.

I will look into your mention about the transom sticking out. I think I will be able to move the winch post more forward.

Thank you for pointing out all this.