Mobile, Alabama Boat Show

A conversation among Whalers
Jefecinco

Mobile, Alabama Boat Show

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:59 pm

Myself and three fishing/boating friends went to the show this afternoon. MarineMax, as usual, provided the Boston Whaler display however it showed only a few Boston Whalers. Most of their space was devoted to SeaRay, Grady White and some pontoon boats which were, I believe, Harris Boats.

There was not a lot of interest at the show but I continue to attend year after year. I did see some interesting aft quarter seating on the 170 Montauk which looks like it could easily be used on my 190 Montauk which is sorely lacking in seating. I liked the 130 and 150 Sports shown. The 130 Sport even has a semi-attractive price.

The Hobie kayak dealer had some nice craft on display. It's amazing how much utility they can squeeze into such small hulls. They even have a small TORQEEDO electric outboard motor which can be dropped into the pedal through-the-hull cavity and used in place of the pedal power. I was told that Motor Guide is now making a trolling motor which can also be substituted for the pedal power. Kayak touring and fishing is becoming more popular every year. Perhaps the cost of boats of every size is driving the trend but the desire for better fitness may also play a part.
Butch

JRP

Re: Mobile, Alabama Boat Show

Postby JRP » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:15 am

Thanks for the report from Mobile.

Did you happen to get any photos of the interesting Montauk 170 stern seats? Or is it just the optional seating shown at the BW website? When I have studied the stern seat options in these two models (Montauk 170 and 190), it seemed as though BW offered a number of good options between the stern quarter seats, the full-width bench seat, and the partial-width bench seat atop the live well that can be had along with the stern quarter seats.

Yes, kayaks are one of the fastest growing segments in boating. The simplicity, low cost, and fitness aspects are all appealing to a wide array of people.

I am actually surprised that leading boatbuilders such as BW have not really caught on to this yet. I'm not suggesting that they build kayaks, but that they incorporate optional "roof rack" systems into their boat designs, that could accomodate kayaks and stand-up paddle boards for those who would like to bring them along. I have several friends that have modified t-tops to exactly this purpose, but a more robust and purpose-built solution would be a nice option. Somebody clever might find a cottage industry here, particularly if they could combine the rack system with sun-shading canvas allowing us to leave our biminis behind.

porthole

Re: 170 MONTAUK

Postby porthole » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:28 am

I was speaking with NJ's biggest Whaler dealer this weekend and they told me Boston Whaler is in the design stage of re-doing the 17 Montauk again. The dealer principal supposedly is involved with Whaler.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:37 am

No photos as I'm one of the few people on earth without a smart phone and my El Cheapo Tracphone takes terrible pictures. I've not yet looked at the optional aft quarter seats on the BW website but am guessing those are what I saw.

So far it looks like Brunswick has decided to concentrate their efforts to cater to the stand-up paddle board (or SUP) and wake board crowd with offerings from SeaRay. I would think, since the Vantage is so similar in concept to SeaRay boats, that at least the Vantage model could offer a wake board, stand-up paddle board, kayak carrying tower without harming the Boston Whaler image. Your comment on an aftermarket offering incorporating a shade providing rack/tower is interesting. I believe it could do very well in the marketplace.
Butch

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:43 am

We were most likely there at the same time. Had a nice talk with the Whaler rep, Jay. Wd hovered over the Montauk but he did not bring up any new news. The rear seats are the standard option but I went to open the little hatch in the rear and the seat got in the way. Asked the Marine Max guy about any discounts on Whalers and he said not really. Kinda jerky. I miss Killingers. Had a nice talk with the Suzuki rep also.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:35 pm

In my experience MarineMax is not in the negotiating business. When I bought my 190 Montauk I did my best to deal with my local dealer, MarineMax, but they were very adamant that a discount was out of the question. Being me, I began searching all US Boston Whaler dealers within a 1000 mile radius for the boat I wanted. I found the boat, at a very nice discount, in St Louis, MO.

I then took the offer from the St Louis dealer to MarineMax in Gulf Shores to give them the option to match the other offer or at least come close. I really didn't want to drive to St Louis from Spanish Fort. They maintained their position and said the St Louis dealer COULD NOT sell me a boat because of the protected territory policy of Boston Whaler. The evening before our scheduled departure to St Louis I had a call from a MarineMax Executive at their corporate offices telling me they would match the other offer. By then I had made a formal commitment to the St Louis dealer so I turned down the offer. Apparently the Pensacola/Gulf Shores MarineMax store had complained to their corporate level about the St Louis dealership poaching a customer. They then learned the painful lesson that anyone from anywhere can walk into a Boston Whaler dealership anywhere and buy a boat.

It's too bad this happened. The local dealer had put me in touch with a buyer for my then Boston Whaler and facilitated the sale as I told them owning two Boats was out of the question. But the hard headed attitude lost them a sale and caused me some loss of time, effort and expense to shop another source.
Butch

porthole

Postby porthole » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:12 pm

MarineMax - would never deal with them again (Tri-State area)
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:40 pm

Sounds like the same group is in place in Gulf Shores.