VERADO Flushing Port Left Open

A conversation among Whalers
WayneR

VERADO Flushing Port Left Open

Postby WayneR » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:21 am

I recently purchased a new Vantage with Mercury 250-HP VERSDO FOURSTROKE outboards. They have A flushing system that connects to a garden hose to flush the saltwater out of the engine.

After the last flushing, we forgot to cap that flushing port and just pushed it back inside the cowling. I noticed it after a cruise, and I am now concerned that we basically hosed down the VERADO with saltwater.

What should be done at this point?

Has serious damage been done to the engines?

Thank you

Jefecinco

Re: VERADO Flushing Port Left Open

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:30 am

Remove the engine cowling and rinse the engine well with fresh water. You may need to remove the chaps but that is unlikely. Give it a good dousing with "Salt Away" following the instructions provided. Do not use a power washer and generally avoid high pressure. If the "overheat" alarm failed to sound I doubt the engine was damaged as it was manufactured for use in salt water and the water pump provides a high flow rate.

I've experienced leaking of the flushing system hose connector when tightly capped and inside the cowling. Although the cap has a hose fitting o-ring gasket it continued to leak when tightened. I discovered that a five cent coin, aka nickel, placed in the cap prevents leaking.

I read about the problem and a long term solution in the Verado Club's library, http://www.veradoclub.com which is provided for those who choose not to subscribe. You can also ask a limited number of questions on the site forum without subscribing. The library is an excellent resource for Verado owners.
Butch