Dauntless 160: Round 2

A conversation among Whalers
B.E.Coyote

Dauntless 160: Round 2

Postby B.E.Coyote » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:33 pm

Last November 2018 I bought my first Boston Whaler boat, a 2000 Dauntless 160. Not just my first Boston Whaler boat but really my first real boat.

The 2000 DAUNTLESS 160 boat needed a lot of work, but the price was right and I like projects. The engine would not start because of badly corroded power cables, the steering was bound up, and there lots of little problems. I spent a lot of time with that boat. I added hydraulic steering, new cables, set it up for a trolling motor, and added electric trim tabs. I completely went through the 2008 Yamaha F90 engine: anodes, water pump, VST filter, plugs, thermostat, and so on..

The 2000 DAUNTLESS 160 boat has come along way. With the trim tabs, the boat is great. I really wanted to upgrade to a 115-HP engine. It was just nagging at me but there was just no way that I could make the financials work in my head to replace a perfectly good Yamaha F90 with only 400 hours on it.

That was true, until this weekend. I lucked out and was able to buy a 2001 Dauntless 160 with a 2015 Yamaha F115. The F115 has 65 hours and it never left the freshwater lake where it was kept. Since this is the newer generation Yamaha it should only weigh about 10-lbs more than my 90.

Got a great deal. I will still be spending money but the much smaller amount will be worth it with the much newer and more powerful engine. I'll be sad to sell off the original Dauntless 160 since I brought her back to life, but I'm looking forward to getting to know the new girl.

The first thing I will do is convert the trailer to bunks, then add trim tabs to the boat.

Fig. 1.
2001 Dauntless 160
Virginia Beach

Jefecinco

Re: Dauntless 160: Round 2

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:54 am

Congratulations. The Dauntless 16 or 160 Dauntless are fine boats. We enjoyed our 1999 version with an OMC 115 HP two stroke FICHT engine. After a fair bit of experimentation with that engine raised and with a four blade Stiletto propeller installed we found that it performed so well that a hydrofoil and or trim tabs were not needed. Ten years after selling our Dauntless and buying a 190 Montauk I question the wisdom of buying our larger boat.

I realize you've been very pleased with the trim tabs on your Dauntless powered with the 90 HP Yamaha. By having 28% more HP and only ten pounds more weight on your newer Dauntless transom I doubt you would find trim tabs to be a worthwhile investment, particularly if you install the right four blade stainless steel propeller. Consider dialing in the mounting and propping of the 115 HP engine before adding trim tabs. You also may find tabs unnecessary.

Best of luck with the new boat.
Butch

B.E.Coyote

Postby B.E.Coyote » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:58 pm

Your right, I should get everything dialed in before I go spending money and drilling holes in a new to me hull.

I was just so impressed with the dramatic positive change in the previous Dauntless 160 after the tabs. Not for just getting on plane quicker but for pushing the nose down in heavy chop to smooth out the ride at speed.

I have a new stainless 4 blade prop on the 90. Hoping it works on the new boat. The 115 has the same size and pitch prop that my 90 started with so there is a chance.

Definitely going to modernize the electronics. Sonar/GPS with an NMEA 2000 network to see engine data and to control an amp. New VHF with its own GPS.
2001 Dauntless 160
Virginia Beach

Todd

Postby Todd » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi there,

I have the 2003 version of your boat (160 Dauntless with a 115 Mercury four stroke) and have a suggestion. You might consider a stabilizer commonly called a whale tail in place of trim tabs. With my 160 fully loaded with gas and four adults it planes very efficiently and I've never felt the need for trim tabs. I had trim tabs on larger boats and my wife would tell you I was constantly tinkering with them to get just the right position.

It's much easier with the whale tail, just adjust the engine trim and you're done. With the trims I was always adjusting the tabs and the outdrive trims, in my opinion in a smaller boats like our its not worth the trouble. Not to mention they got in the way a lot. You might buy a whale tail (cheaply) and try it to see if it does what you want it to, if not, you can always go to the tabs later if needed. I actually gave away a whale tail on this site some time ago because my boat came with two, not sure why. Just Google whale tail and you'll see numerous options including some no drill types you can attach and return if it doesn't do the job.

I love the Dauntless, its a little 16 foot battle wagon.

Todd

B.E.Coyote

Postby B.E.Coyote » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:05 pm

Thanks Todd,

I went through that progression on the other boat and still have a doel-fin in the shed.

I'd have to do some hard thinking before I drilled holes in this nice shiny outboard.

We will see!

Going to turn most of my attention towards cleaning up the old one and getting it ready for a new owner.
2001 Dauntless 160
Virginia Beach

B.E.Coyote

Postby B.E.Coyote » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:09 pm

Jefecinco wrote:

I realize you've been very pleased with the trim tabs on your Dauntless powered with the 90 HP Yamaha. By having 28% more HP and only ten pounds more weight on your newer Dauntless transom I doubt you would find trim tabs to be a worthwhile investment, particularly if you install the right four blade stainless steel propeller. Consider dialing in the mounting and propping of the 115 HP engine before adding trim tabs. You also may find tabs unnecessary.

If I end up not putting trim tabs on the boat, I may end up with 28% more power and less weight. Those tabs aren't light.
2001 Dauntless 160
Virginia Beach

GoldenDaze

Postby GoldenDaze » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:12 pm

I'm sticking with recommending the trim tabs. The lower unit hydrofoil just can't compare. This weekend I was boating on Smith Mountain Lake as hurricane Dorian blew past along the coast. We were far enough inland to only get clouds and some gusty wind, raising about 1-foot whitecaps. Not a big deal, but with the trim tabs down most of the way we just plowed through them like they weren't even there. Also, I've come to love the lateral control that the trim tabs bring. People off to one side? No problem, trim it back even. Crosswind has you heeling into it and smacking the hull flat on the waves? No problem trim the windward side of the boat back up again. Sweeeet.

If you really like the first boat and the work you've done to it, you might consider just swapping the engines and then selling the second boat. Just a thought.

-Bob
2003 160 Dauntless Golden Daze

B.E.Coyote

Postby B.E.Coyote » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:13 am

Swapping outboards was the original plan.

After bringing home number 2 and really considering how much work it would be to swap the two engines and seeing that number 2 had a little nicer hull and a console that was not cut out for a stereo I decided to keep number 2.

I can install trim tabs in an afternoon by myself.

On number 1 the tabs transformed the boat from a boat that I wanted to love to a boat that I actually did love. I'll give number 2 and the 115 a chance with out tabs but I'll be surprised if I don't order another set.

I really, really like the Dauntless 160. I plan to keep it for the long haul so hanging on to the nicer hull and not having to swap outboards is worth the possibility of adding the trim tabs and hydraulic steering down the road.

Dauntless 160 number 1 went up on online for sale earlier this evening. Need its to be sold before I can start buying toys for the new boat.
2001 Dauntless 160
Virginia Beach

B.E.Coyote

Postby B.E.Coyote » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:23 pm

Boat number 1 found a new home tonight. New owner did not like the modified bow rail. It was cut for the trolling motor. Swapped my intact rail from 2 for the cut rail on 1. I save money in hardware, new owner is happy and I don't have to go through the bad feeling of cutting up an original BW piece of hardware.

Fig. 2. Capt. Bob approves of the open rail because that is where he gets on and off the boat before it is in the water.
2001 Dauntless 160
Virginia Beach

B.E.Coyote

Postby B.E.Coyote » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:16 pm

Fig. 3. I ended up putting on Bennett Bolt 12 x 4 trim tabs. I knew I would end up eventually with trim tabs. I was pulling cables for a drop cable to connect the engine to NMEA-2000 and a SONAR transducer, anyway, so I figured I would install trim tabs, too.

Fig. 4. For this installation I went with the upgraded switch with the LED indicators.

Fig. 5. Added a VHF Marine Band radio, a Fusion BBS100 entertainment loudspeaker amplifier, and a Simrad Go7XSR SONAR-chartplotter-multi-function-display that will also show engine info and control the entertainment amplifier.

Fig. 6. Minn-Kota iPilot 80-lbs thrust trolling motor

Fig. 7. Port side cleaned up with new decals.

I need to detail the starboard side. I plan to raise the outboard one-hole, and I may try different propellers.

So far I am really happy with the boat.
2001 Dauntless 160
Virginia Beach

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:28 pm

In Figure 3, do the trim tabs interfere with the trailer hold-down straps to the transom towing eyes?

B.E.Coyote wrote:I was pulling cables for a drop cable to connect the engine to NMEA-2000 ...so I figured I would install trim tabs, too.

I've put in few NMEA-2000 drop cables on my boat, but while doing that I never felt a sudden urge to get trim tabs, too. :-)

B.E.Coyote

Postby B.E.Coyote » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:50 pm

Yes, I am going to have to change where the straps attach to the trailer. Using some tie down loops around the frame works for now.

Wasn't so much the sudden urge to install trim tabs. It was more that with the way I use my boat I knew I'd eventually install them. There isn't tons of room in that rigging tube so sending the fish tape down once and pulling all 4 staggered cables back all at once made sense.
2001 Dauntless 160
Virginia Beach