1996 21' Justice Refurbishment

A conversation among Whalers
conch

1996 21' Justice Refurbishment

Postby conch » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:04 pm

The rigging of the new Yamaha [F300] engine has begun [on the 1995 JUSTICE 21 re-power].

As part of pre-rigging cleaning I had the fuel tank examined, pressure tested, drained, and cleaned, The fuel line hoses and tank level float gauge were replaced. The O-ring on the filler cap was . This service was performed by a fuel tank cleaning company that comes to your boat. This work, like bottom painting ,is best handled with your checkbook: $550 later and I was ready to install the 10-micron RACOR filter.

I used Stern Saver products for mounting the fuel filter and Airmar P66 transducer.

The hull incorporates three rigging tubes from the console which make things easy.

Out with the Mercury and in with Yamaha.

I am installing an engine [with electrically control shift and throttle called by the acronym DEC] so shift and throttle mechanical cables are not required.

I added a battery isolator with 100-Ampere fuse.

I added a water pressure sender kit.

Twin batteries are in the console.

I had a new dash panel cut and installed a five-inch Yamaha color gauge for Command Link Plus. I cut the console and mounted the control box. I also installed the key switch. I had a new panel cut for the lower electronics area and installed two sevein-inch touch screen Garmin MFD.

I towed the rig to my Yamaha dealer and had the motor mounted two-holes-up and mated to my [electric throttle and shift or] DEC control box.

I purchased the 3-year additional warranty.

I was good to go.

I noticed the lower unit had a unique serial number on the port exterior and that is a great idea, a long time coming. [To have serial numbers on gear cases] may deter some thefts.

I added a McGard lower unit locking bolt.

The hull has six Viking Marine access plates in the cockpit area. I replaced the O-rings on all with 0.250-inch Buna N, I and refastened the rectangular one in the engine splashwell.

The splashwell plates have aluminum rivets; the others plates have screws. I removed the rivets and installed stainless machine screws.

Rigging is a good excuse for more tools like my new hydraulic wire crimper.

Mississippi floodwaters at Natchez had me sidetracked for a while with problems there. Then I was waiting for permits for a boat elevator here. Luckily the storm skipped us in the Keys.

Prop testing is next, I only added some fuel for engine testing.

I have my handheld VHF HX870 for now until I pick something out.

Kids want a big stereo installed.

T-Top with a cloth material is new to me, and I am hesitant to cut it for antennas. My previous hardtop was fiberglass. T-top stayed put for about 25 hours of travel at 65-MPH on the highway.

I am not really a snake or large spider guy, and had second thoughts about having my entire arm up to the shoulder in the fuel hose & vent access of this hull that had been sitting in Oklahoma for years. No problem though. Stay tuned.

conch

Re: 1996 21' Justice Re-Power

Postby conch » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:08 pm

Yamaha Lower Serial #.JPG
Fig. 1. Yamaha puts a serial number on lower unit of F300 NCA model
Yamaha Lower Serial #.JPG (42.05 KiB) Viewed 9785 times

21 on Lift.jpg
Fig. 2. Boat on lift.
21 on Lift.jpg (56.28 KiB) Viewed 9785 times

I am trying a vented engine cover that stays on all the time .

21 Bston Whaler 3.jpg
Fig. 3. Dive Door removed for Hurricane Prep
21 Bston Whaler 3.jpg (69.73 KiB) Viewed 9634 times
Last edited by conch on Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimh

Re: 1996 21' Justice Refurbishment

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:39 pm

What is “a battery isolator”?

From what does the “isolator” isolate the battery?

What does the 100-Ampere fuse protect?

conch

Postby conch » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:20 pm

Hi, battery isolator is what Yamaha calls their aux battery lead. I believe the the fuse included in the kit protects the wiring and the service manual states the aux lead output at a max of 70 amps @ 12v.

The reset able fuse is located near to the aux battery, and the other lead from the engine is about 12 ft long. See this @ ANDY @ SIM Yamaha part # MAR-6CEIS-1L-ED
https://www.simyamaha.com/Yamaha_Isolat ... -1l-ed.htm

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:06 pm

Wow! You work quick!
Good job!

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:02 am

“Battery isolator” = auxiliary charging output from outboard engine alternator—gotcha.

Being able to charge two batteries with independent charging outputs is a good option. I have that configuration on my engine.

Also, I like the serial numbering of the gear case, too. Does the gear case number match the engine serial number?

And the boat looks great. I have always liked that 21-foot hull design.

conch

Postby conch » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:31 pm

Thanks Jim, the lower unit serial number is unique unto itself, however in the Yamaha computer system entering the engine (powerhead number) or this new lower unit number ,reveals the other one and shows my name and address as owner and my Extended Warranty info.
Chuck

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:53 pm

Looks so nice.

Did you check the thru hull fittings, especially in the transom?

If they are plastic they are known to crack over time and cause water intrusion.

conch

Postby conch » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:38 am

Thru-hull fittings look good so far, though they will be replaced with stainless probably next time on the trailer. The cockpit floor boxes both have 1-1/4-inch bronze thru-hull fittings which are capped. Not sure what I will do with them, maybe a washdown or livewell pump.

Stern splash well drains sit high above the waterline.

I replaced the sump pump, added a Fortress anchor, and a new SeaStar cylinder. Tilt helm and hoses seem fine.

The hull can be rigged for twins, so the single Yamaha F300 at 562-lbs seems to sit high and fine.

No compass present which is strange, but maybe people who circle around in a lake do not need them. I ordered a Ritchie HF 743 to flush mount.

I put in a dual battery charger and will add a shore power inlet by NOCO. I am going to try the Blue Sea dual circuit plus 6011 battery switch. Battery cables are 2-AWG. Batteries are Group 24.

I will add NMEA-2000 to connect the Garmin display to the 19x GNSS receiver, even though they have a built-in GNSS receiver, and a CommandLink (not plus) connection to the engine for backup gauges on the MFD using the Lowrance 120-37 cable. Will see how well I can get thru the T-top legs.

I need NMEA 0183 connections for the VHF SH GX2200 and to the Yamaha 6Y9 gauge for boat speed and system time from the Garmin displays.

[The performance data has been moved to PERFORMANCE Forum; see

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4866]

Chuck