Holsclaw C-950 trailer

A conversation among Whalers
jc3147

Holsclaw C-950 trailer

Postby jc3147 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and am hopeful someone can give me some Holsclaw trailer info. My father in law gave me his boat and trailer, and now I am having a really fun time titling it here in Wyoming. The trailer is a Holsclaw C-950, but of course the ID decal is too faded to read, so I don't have a VIN or even a year to give the court house. Being from Oklahoma, this trailer was never titled or registered, so no help there.

If I can get a year nailed down, I can get a new state issued VIN and be good to go. All of my Google searching hasn't nailed down what year(s) Holsclaw made the C-950, so I am stuck. Does anyone here know when these were made? Thanks in advance for any help I can get!

On the old forum, I see a post where a user by the name NHHobie posted about his C-950 owner's manual...that would be about as great as possible if that user were to chime in!

frontier

Re: Holsclaw C-950 trailer

Postby frontier » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:54 pm

I have what I think is a 1972 (it has a "K72" on the address page) Holsclaw Boat Trailer brochure. It shows a picture and specs for the C-950. Be glad to mail you a color copy if you think it would help.

conch

Postby conch » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:46 am

Wyoming appears to be one of the easiest states for residents to get this resolved.

"Trailers weighing less than 1,000 pounds, such as small utility trailers and many boat trailers, not previously registered will require a title from a county clerk’s office before they can be registered at the county treasurer’s office.

Exempted from that requirement is mobile machinery, such as an air compressor towed behind a vehicle, which instead requires a mobile machinery sticker available at county treasurer offices or ports of entry.

Homemade utility trailers that don’t have the vehicle identification number required for titling can get a state-assigned VIN through WYDOT’s Motor Vehicle Services Office. Application For Assignment of Special Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Form MV-401

Once a VIN is assigned, an inspection by a law enforcement officer is required to assure it is properly affixed to the vehicle before a title can be issued."

On the Form MV-401 is a box to check if you can no longer read the VIN on a factory built trailer
Chuck

Garage Dog

Postby Garage Dog » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:59 am

Holsclaw trailers were made in Evansville Indiana on Willow Road right next to Crane Brothers Lumber Co. At least they were about 50 years ago.

jc3147

Postby jc3147 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:31 am

Hi Conch, I agree that Wyoming SHOULD be very easy. The concern is that each county clerk, being an elected official, gets to run their office as they see fit. I happen to live in a county where the clerk is almost comically unhelpful. I found this out the hard way last year when trying to get a bonded title for an old motorcycle I bought and fixed up. I followed the process to a T as listed on the state motor vehicle web site and they denied me, as "We don't concern bonded titles in this county." I called the state to complain and they told me they don't get in the business of each county clerk. It was an absolute joke! Luckily here you can go to another county, it doesn't happen to be the one you live in. I had to drive 100 miles to the next court house and waste half a day. I am doing my best to avoid that hassle this time around. I have my paperwork submitted to the state now...waiting on their response.

jc3147

Postby jc3147 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:21 am

frontier wrote:I have what I think is a 1972 (it has a "K72" on the address page) Holsclaw Boat Trailer brochure. It shows a picture and specs for the C-950. Be glad to mail you a color copy if you think it would help.

Hi Frontier, I would appreciate that brochure bigtime! Please don't go out of your way, though. I will PM you my address.