Advice on Purchase

A conversation among Whalers
whaler101

Advice on Purchase

Postby whaler101 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:47 pm

Hi. I'm currently shopping around for a 15-footer. On September 15, 2019 I will look at 1988 15-footer with a 1990 Evinrude that was rebuilt about 10 years ago. The trailer is a little rough. The owner is asking $5,250.

Can anyone tell me what to look for when I view the boat.

After I see the boat I will post pictures of it. Based on the pictures, can anyone assess the value?

I don't particularly like the painted wood (actually I hate it :) so I plan to address it. I think it is actually plywood, but I could be wrong. A friend told me all new mahogany might run about $250.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Please visit the link below for photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j52DyrErCgoAG1ANA
Last edited by whaler101 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimh

Re: Advice on Purchase

Postby jimh » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:38 am

Read

Buying Classic Boston Whaler Boats
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/buying.html

The mahogany lumber used in the seating and console in the original interior will likely be quite expensive to replace at today's prices. The estimate of $250 provided by your friend may be lower than your actual cost to buy the mahogany lumber today needed to duplicate the original interior.

If the boat has the original wood and it was just painted, you will still have a laborious task to remove the paint. As you appear to know, painting the original mahogany was a mistake,

The boat appears to have an OMC 50-HP, but the markings are hard to see. What is the actual engine?

In one illustration the rub rail appears to be damaged at the starboard stern quarter. You will need a new rub rail vinyl insert to remedy that problem.

The asking price ($5,250) is in the lower end of the price range for a 15-footer with a running engine on a roadworthy trailer, but the general condition of this boat is below par.

My advice: the best assessment is made by actual visual inspection and a test ride. The visual inspection will establish the real condition of the boat. The test ride will establish if the trailer can be towed, the boat can be launched, the engine can be started, and how well the engine runs.

The SUPER SPORT 15 is a popular model. Generally classic-era Boston Whaler boats that are popular models, are in good condition, and are fairly priced will sell quickly, often to the first real buyer that comes to look at such a boat.

whaler101

Postby whaler101 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:53 am

Thanks Jim. This is a big help.

The engine size is a 60 HP. At some point, according to the owner, it was rebuilt. I didn't make the test ride yesterday but if I do I'll check the stern rub rail.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:29 am

I can't see the pics but if it is a 2cyl then it is not a 60hp or it is older than 1990. I believe the last year for the 2cyl 60hp was 1985.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

goldstem

Postby goldstem » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:00 am

That engine cover too tall for a two cylinder looper, that's a 3, so either 60 or 70hp

svsonora

Postby svsonora » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:35 am

I would lowball that boat or walk away. Too much work for me - I'd sand off all the paint then revarnish the wood, which will just take FOREVER. A good part of a season with a noraml guy work schedule. I bought an all fiberglass interior boat and I still spent about 40 hours redoing just the electrical and installing my dash.

Crusty the Clam

Postby Crusty the Clam » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:30 pm

Just my two centavos but it depends on what you want. A boat that you can enjoy now or a project. MOST I’d pay is $3,000 and only if I didn’t observe any significant problems. If no problems other than cosmetic, then you can enjoy it for a while and buy mahogany in the off season.

Even with the ugly duckling paint job, that looks like a fun boat.

whaler101

Postby whaler101 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:38 pm

Thanks guys. I appreciate your advice and for sharing your knowledge. I actually had $3,000 in mind so its funny CTC came up with that number. I'll give this boat some more thought but it does seem like it would take a lot of work to bring it up to par. Not sure if I want to deal with that. Did plenty of boat renovation before.

Crusty the Clam

Postby Crusty the Clam » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:10 pm

Mr Whaler101
Take a look in the classifieds. Someone just posted a Supersport 15 and it looks really nice and sounds like it has been well maintained and not a ton of use, at least at first glance from the photos and description. Not sure where you are, but if NE, it’s not that terribly far. And a freshwater boat, to boot.

Crusty

macfam

Postby macfam » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:45 am

Here is a source of Boston Whaler interiors located on Craigslist in Haverhill, MA
https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/d/boston-whaler-mahogany-wood-consoles/6982397839.html
Worth a phone call.