170 MONTAUK on Mooring: Bilge Pump Power

A conversation among Whalers
jaymoussy

170 MONTAUK on Mooring: Bilge Pump Power

Postby jaymoussy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:57 am

I have secured a mooring at a boatyard close-by on a quiet saltwater pond for my Boston Whaler 170 MONTAUK boat. I am worried about what to do with the bilge sump, and I am leaning towards keeping the bilge drain plugged. The boat will close-by (and I can keep an eye on it), but I may be away for three weeks at a time, occasionally.

Would it be a good idea to come up with a second, smaller battery just for the sump pump, saving the main battery from fully discharging in case of heavy rain or such?

Other option: Would a small, homemade, battery-pump-drain kit sitting on the deck make sense?

jimh

Re: 170 MONTAUK on Mooring: Bilge Pump Power

Postby jimh » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:51 am

I believe you are referring to the cockpit sump drain in the boat. Usually the owner's manual for a Boston Whaler boat gives advice on how to operate the sump drain. I believe the owner's manual is available on-line at

http://www.bostonwhaler.com/boat_graphi ... ochure.pdf

I searched the (above linked) document for advice on leaving the cockpit sump drain unplugged when on a mooring, but I could not find any information on that topic. Generally all references to the drain were to check that the drain was plugged. Perhaps the design of the 170 MONTAUK does not permit the drain to be left open when the boat is unattended on a mooring.

Reticence to leave the drain open is natural. Have you opened the drain and observed how much seawater enters the sump?

If the level of seawater in the sump rises only to a level that will be contained in the sump, you could leave the drain unplugged. If the level rises above the sump, and begins to fill the cockpit, leaving the drain unplugged would not be a good idea. Inasmuch as I am not familiar with your boat, please comment if you have tried leaving the cockpit sump drain open and to what level the seawater will rise.

As for adding a second battery dedicated to running the sump pump, my initial reaction is to ask how such a battery would be kept charged? It is reasonable to anticipate there might be substantial rain during a period of several days while you were away. If the battery were deeply discharged, how would you re-charge it?

Another consideration for the second battery dedicated to running the sump pump: how many hours of pump operation would be necessary before the charge was depleted? This would really be the criterion that dictates the size of the battery. You can approximate the battery capacity needed by figuring the operating Amperes of the pump and multiplying by the anticipated period of operation. For example, if the pump consumed 5-Amperes when running and was estimated to run for 8-hours, a 40-Ampere-hour (Ah) drain would occur on the battery. To keep the pump operating for 8-hours, however, will most likely require a battery with more than a 40-Ah rating, as the pump likely could not run well when the battery was more than half discharged. That suggests an 80-Ah battery, which typically will weight about 80-lbs in a lead-acid battery. That is not a small battery.

The amount of rain water that can be gather by the open cockpit of a boat and collected in a sump area can be impressive. Does the boat have a mooring cover? If not, a considerable volume of water could be accumulated in the sump and cockpit during three-weeks of rain. If the sump drain cannot be left open, then a battery-operated sump pump would be a must.

If you do decide to install a second battery, I would use a battery that was sufficiently large that it could also serve to start the outboard engine in the event the dedicated cranking battery cannot. I would re-wire the boat electrical system so that all electronics and other house loads were connected to the second battery, and the first battery was for engine-starting service only. I would add some circuitry to permit the engine to charge both batteries. If you decide this is the preferred solution to the mooring unattended problem, I will be glad to offer more advice. But first, I think a solution without adding a second battery should be explored.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:45 am

On my 15 footer if I leave the drain open a lot of water comes in. I blame the weight of the motor, gas tanks, and bench seat for this. As a result I decided to keep it closed and use a small sump mounted bilge pump and it works very well. For 10 years I have been using a solar charging panel left on deck to keep the battery charged. It has never run totally down but if I go to start the motor after a prolonged rain event, it is weak. Waiting a day or so for the sun to recharge it totally can be inconvenient so I kept a pull start on the motor. Once started the alternator takes over. On a mooring you would have no choice but to use solar power so I would get a fairly large one. In the event of a big blow I can still shut off the pump and leave the drain open and rest easy the boat will self bail.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:10 pm

I have a Montauk 150 and I can pull the drain and yes some water get slightly over the sole but never passes past a foot or so forward, therefore being an unsinkable boat no matter how much it rains she'll still stays at that level. That said you must get a hell of tropical 5 day rain storm to drain the single battery with the small sump pump.
Like Jim said pull the plug get out and see how she floats, you might not have to worry.

Put a mooring cover on and you won't have a rain problem, also I never leave the dock without a portable battery pack ($50 and comes with a spotlight).
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:45 pm

Leave the plug out.

Over the years I have seen a dozen classic and post classic Boston Whaler boats less than 19' that were almost swamped at the dock due to dead battery, electrical short, pump failure or clogged pump or hose. I baffles me why they don't just pull the plug.

At worse, there will be an inch or two of water on the rear deck and it may get slimy if let sit for a few weeks.

The boat will never fill more than it's resting level when it rains. No battery or pump or hose failure to worry about.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jaymoussy

Postby jaymoussy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:39 pm

Thanks, this is all very useful.

I only got the boat late last June, so I do not have a lot of experience with the bilge area with plug out. I did have the plug out once, while underway at low speed, an ha-ha moment.

One option is to use a mixed solution: plug in when I am around and boat is used often, safe plug out for when away.

I am curious about a solar panel setup, and how it could fit on the boat. Would there be pictures in the old forum, perhaps? [Use the search function to find topics in the old forum at http://continuouswave.com/whaler/oldForum/--jimh]

I am also interested I getting a jumpstart unit this year. Recommendations, and/or what to avoid?
[Please start a new thread for your new topic. To get recommendations about electrical or electronic gear, use SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL--jimh]