17 SSL Four Questions on Water on Deck

A conversation among Whalers
svsonora

17 SSL Four Questions on Water on Deck

Postby svsonora » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:21 am

I took out my 17 SSL to Ocean City. I had four adults onboard, all grown men, so [the crew weight] was the most weight I have had onboard. Wave height was substantial, perhaps 3-feet, typical inshore wave periods. Basically choppy but no problem. As you know, lots of 3-knot currents in this area.

As you can imagine, the boat sits stern heavy, especially with my 370-lbs Honda BF75 motor. At a certain point, I enough water accumulated to get my feet wet. The water was quickly drained when I turned on the sump pump.

We did drift quite a bit as we were actively fishing for some part of the day.

Q1: Why does water accumulate on the deck?

We took some spray and minor splashes here and there, but it wasn't that much.

Q2: Could following seas or currents cause [water to accumulate on the deck is a 17 SSL with four adults aboard and a heavy outboard on the transom]?

Q3: [Could the cause of water accumulating on the deck be] something as simple as using the stern deck platform to stand and fish from?

Q4: Does the anchor locker drain out only by the starboard scupper?

ASIDE: I still enjoying this boat, especially after I re-wired the boat and installed two gauges. I actually enjoyed this boat a lot more on my home waters than at Ocean City. Boat traffic and currents don't quite make this place relaxing.

biggiefl

Re: Water on deck - cause?

Postby biggiefl » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:11 pm

Water could have come over the stern or out of the locker. depending on what was going on.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Re: 17 SSL Four Questions on Water on Deck

Postby jimh » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:09 pm

A1: On a Boston Whaler 17-foot hull there is a sump area in the starboard stern quarter. The normal trim on the boat is down by the stern. The normal lateral trim is a slight list to starboard created by the boat battery being on starboard and the helm console and rigging being on starboard. These arrangements cause water on the deck to flow to the sump.

If water accumulated on deck there are several possible situations that could cause this:

—the trim is normal; the starboard stern quarter sump is full; water builds up on deck; or

—the trim is abnormal, either down by the bow or listing to port; water does not reach the sump; water builds up on deck.

If the trim on the boat is so far down by the stern that the engine splash well drains are immersed in the sea, seawater flows into the splash well via the stains. If the trim is severely down by the stern, the splash well falls below the waterline and overflows onto the deck.

A3: On a small, lightweight, open boat, the weight of four large adult men may easily exceed the hull weight. It is not necessary to study naval architecture to realize that the location of four large adult men on a 17-foot boat will have a very significant effect on the trim of the hull.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:45 am

svsonora wrote:I took out my 17 SSL to Ocean City. I had four adults onboard...Wave height was substantial, perhaps 3-feet...boat sits stern heavy, especially with my 370-lbs Honda...

I cannot imagine going out when waves are 3-feet-high in a 17-foot open boat with four adults. Three-feet-high waves are far beyond the capabilities of a 17-foot Boston Whaler. Either you have badly over-estimated the actual wave height, or you enjoy dangerous boating.

The wind speed must have been 25-knots to create wind-waves of that height.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:59 am

SV may be describing the sea state using terms that others would not use.

The word "wave" can sometimes be used to describe a "swell".
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

svsonora

Postby svsonora » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:43 pm

[The conditions described as three-foot waves were] not that bad. Well behind the inlet. Just uncomfortable. Saw a few other [Boston Whaler boats], too. My [earlier post] does sound like I'm mis-stating [the sea state] a bit. [The actual seas were] mostly 1 to 2-foot chop with a few 3-footers. Not very steep.

Have you been to [someplace referred to by an acronym "OC"]? Lots of currents going fast and in different directions create some disproportionate waves. And of course, typical wave period and steepness in your area might make it look way worse in your mind than it did in person. Winds were 10 to 15 knots onshore. No biggie.

I'm new to [Boston Whaler boats], but I'm not new to boating. Still got lots to learn but I've done a few thousand miles under sail power in all sorts of conditions, spending weeks at sea. I wouldn't go out on a 17-foot [Boston Whaler boat] if [the sea conditions were] actually dangerous.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:45 pm

You must be using some different standard of measurement for wave height.

I would never attempt to make way upwind into three-foot waves in a 17-foot boat unless my life depended on it. I am a recreational boater. I certainly would not stand up on a casting platform in three-foot-high waves.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:34 am

A wave-height calculator at the website

https://swellbeat.com/wave-calculator/

offers to calculate the significant wave height based on three factors:

• wind speed
  • duration of wind
  • fetch

In order to generate a 3-feet-high wind wave, the following conditions are necessary:

• wind speed = 20-knots
  • duration of wind = 8-hours
  • fetch = 20-kilometers (12.5-miles)

Those conditions produce a significant wave height of 0.90-meters (2.95-feet) with a wave period of 3.8-seconds.

The term "significant wave height" is generally understood to be the average of the largest third of the recorded wave heights.

This calculation is for offshore conditions. It is widely known that winds and wave can vary considerably due to shoreline effects. Wind direction in opposition to water current can also affect wave height.

It is also well known that a wave of twice the significant wave heigh can occur, with the frequency of such a wave being statistically probable in about 1,000-waves.

In any event, there is a good possibility that in a 17-foot boat being operated in waves of three-foot height that any water that appears on the deck could be from a wave that came aboard over the gunwales.