150 MONTAUK Trailering and Launching with TRANSIT Van

A conversation among Whalers
mrzattx

150 MONTAUK Trailering and Launching with TRANSIT Van

Postby mrzattx » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:02 pm

Hello Everyone. I am close to buying a 2019 Montauk 150. I have always owned inflatable dive boats that I didn't trailer and hand launched.

I have 2017 Transit Connect 175-HP front-wheel-drive van that is rated to 2,000-lbs, so even loaded with fuel and gear [the trailered weight of the 150 MONTAUK ] should be under [the 2,000-lbs limit] by at least 400-lbs—or so I think.

My main concern is the boat ramp and launching.

Q: Is a 2017 TRANSIT CONNECT VAN with 175-HP enough vehicle to launch the 150 MONTAUK safely?

I have watched too many fail boat launch videos onYoutube,and I am getting nervous. I can't afford a new vehicle and don't want to go down to the 130 SuperSport to save weight.

Again, I have zero experience trailering and launching.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.

Phil T

Re: 150 MONTAUK Trailering and Launching with TRANSIT Van

Postby Phil T » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:21 am

Welcome to CW.

Firstly, stay away from Youtube. It only shows the stupid drivers, rarely the experienced ones.

As for trailering, it is important to note the often overlooked characteristic of a proper tow vehicle is not only its acceleration, but its ability to brake.

The Connect is the smaller van, rather than the large cargo versions, correct? While the ratings show it will suffice, the lack of four-wheel drive may present an obstacle depending on the ramps you will be using. I recommend you visit local ramps and observe their degree of slope, texture of the surface (above and below the high water line).

Skill with trailering, launching, and retrieving comes from education, practice, and skill development.

PS. If money is tight, I would recommend a late model Montauk 150. You can save $3,000 to $7,000 for a two-year-old model that is practically new. Given you are new to boating, I would go this way.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:16 am

A boat on a trailer always weights more than you think. A rule of thumb is just about double the bare hull weight.

The 150 MONTAUK bare hull weight is 1,050-lbs. The engine weighs 305-lbs. A trailer probably weighs about 500-lbs. We are already at a towed trailer weight of 1,755-lbs, and we don't have any fuel in the fuel tank, any gear aboard, or any ice in the cooler. I suspect that the actual towed weight of a 150 MONTAUK will be quite close to 2,000-lbs.

The problem with front-wheel-drive vehicles and towing or launching is the reduction in weight on the front axle from the trailer tongue weight on the hitch. It is typical that the front axle weight will decrease when the trailer is hitched to the vehicle. The effect increases on a ramp.

For short hauls to a boat ramp, I expect the TRANSIT VAN will be adequate. Just be sure the van is in good shape, that is, the tires are properly inflated, the engine cooling system is working properly, the trailer wiring is working, and the brakes on all four wheels are working. Also check the parking brake. You need a parking brake for the ramp. I wouldn't plan on making any 70-MPH 500-mile-highway-trips with a front-wheel-drive van towing at its maximum rating on a 105-degree day, but for shorter, slower trips in cooler weather, it will probably be okay.

The weak link is usually the transmission or transaxle. Typically any vehicle used for towing has an auxiliary transmission cooler. If your van has a transmission temperature gauge, keep an eye on it.

The first skill to acquire in towing a boat on a trailer on the highway is to always be aware of the trailer, make wider than normal turns, allow much more distance for braking, don't drive over 55-MPH, and be extra careful pulling into a gas station--there are many hazards at gas stations.

The second skill is to learn how to back up the trailer. A short trailer like you'll have on a 150 MONTAUK is actually much harder to back up than a longer trailer. Drive to some deserted parking lot--a church lot on a weekday, for example--and practice backing up.

When you go to a ramp for the first time, don't go there on a Saturday morning on the first nice day in Spring. Go to the ramp when it is not crowded. If there are ten vehicles behind you waiting to use the ramp, you will not have a good learning experience.

Launching is usually not much of a problem for a 15-foot boat. You can man-handle the boat without much trouble.

Loading the boat on a trailer is GREATLY enhanced if you have tall PVC white guide posts at the rear of the trailer.

Try to use a ramp that has a courtesy dock right at the ramp, so you can ease the boat off the trailer and tie it to the dock, while you leave to park the truck and trailer.

Read more in my six-part series on trailers at

TRAILERING
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/trailering/

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:42 am

Depending on how far you are towing the 150 MONTAUK, I would not be concerned with the [TRANSIT VAN rating of a maximum of 2,000-lbs towing] or the weight of the boat. Like mentioned above, braking is your biggest concern. The [TRANSIT VAN rating of a maximum of 2,000-lbs towing] should not be a problem. Unless ramp is very steep, [the tow rating and front-wheel drive] should not present a traction problem.

The main reason you don't want to go over the 2,000-lbs rated maximum is for insurance purposes. If you get into an accident and are overloaded, will your insurance company pay?

I used to tow a 15-foot Boston Whaler with a Samurai. I towed a 24-foot Baja with a four-cylinder Tacoma. [What can be towed by what vehicle] really depends on distance and liability. If you wanted, you could tow a 21-foot Outrage with the TRANSIT VAN.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:16 am

As Phil mentions, before you buy a new 150 MONTAUK, look around for a nice two- or three-year-old one. A 15-footer is a starter boat, and owners who discover how much fun there is in boating will often move to a bigger boat after a year or two.

Go buy the boat, and we can give you more advice on how to launch and load once you have it.

When you get your next truck, buy a bigger one. That way, when you decide to move up to a bigger boat, you will already have the right truck.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:06 pm

MRZ'--since you are new to boating you may also be new to towing a trailer and new to the way a vehicle has a maximum tow rating. Let me remark briefly on this topic.

The manufacturer's specification for maximum towing weight is not an absolute value, that is, the vehicle is not always able to tow the stated weight. You should consult the towing guide from the manufacturer for details. The usual situation is that a specification for maximum towing weight is when the vehicle has only the driver aboard, no passengers, no added gear or luggage, and perhaps even a limit on fuel.

If you plan to tow the boat while you have another passenger, or perhaps two or three passengers, you must subtract their weight from the towing weight limit to get a reduced towing weight. Similarly, if you load up the van with 150-lbs of luggage or other gear, you have to subtract that from the towing weight allowed.

If you can find a specification from the manufacturer for CGVWR (Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating), that value will be the maximum total weight of the truck, the trailer, and everything in the truck and trailer. I would allot about 250 to 500-lbs of added weight in the vehicle to be typical. This rating is usually important because it represents the stability of the vehicle and its suspension and brakes.

As Nick notes, if you are towing on level ground and going slow, you could probably launch a 15-footer with lawn tractor.

Also, brakes on the trailer are very helpful. The maximum trailer weight that can be towed without brakes varies from state to state. The difference between a trailer with brakes and a trailer with no brakes will be significant and immediately apparent to the driver when trying to stop the rig.

Sifd324

Postby Sifd324 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:47 am

I will echo the sentiment to practice backing your trailer prior to the initial launch: a short trailer is a lot harder for me to back in than a longer one. My first launch [involving a 13-foot boat on a short trailer] would have made a fail video had someone filmed it. Even with PVC guides I would lose visual on the trailer going down the ramp until [the trailer] was too far over. I have been trailering boats for 40 years and the visual cues were just not there.

Adding a tongue extension helped a lot, but practice makes perfect.

Tacky79

Postby Tacky79 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:36 pm

I tow a 190 Montauk with a Sprinter van with a 4 cylinder 161 HP engine. Launched on some steep ramps. Even launched and retrieved an Everglades 230DC with the van, and that's a 6000 lb boat-trailer combo. I think you are totally fine with the Transit Connect.
2017 Boston Whaler Montauk 190 w/ 150 Merc/Fish Pkg/Bowrail delete/aft seating
1979 Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2 sailboat with sails and a tiller :D