Large Center Console Boats

A conversation among Whalers
Jefecinco

Large Center Console Boats

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:28 am

While walking off a few of the calories consumed on Christmas Day we were wandering around the slipped boats at San Roc Cay Marina in Orange Beach. The marina has boats as small as 26 feet LOA and as large as 75 feet LOA. We found one of the most interesting boats to be an approximately 50 foot Sea Hunter center console powered by four 350 HP Yamaha outboard engines. The center console was approximately 6X6 feet square. I'm sure there was a head and possibly twin berths under the console. It was equipped with a Garmin open array radar and three Garmin 16 inch MFDs. I believe the boat name was "Hooked Up". There are several charter boats at the marina but I saw nothing to indicate Hooked Up was available for charter.
Butch

ConB

Re: Large Center Console Boats

Postby ConB » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:22 pm

Orange Beach does have a lot of large center console boats and sport fisherman.
I walk the docks looking for the latest and greatest.
The Yamaha 425 hp is going to be common soon.
Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:28 pm

Regarding boats in Orange Beach, Alabama: we visited there several years ago, and the number of large sport-fishing yachts I saw there was surprising.

I believe that the Gulf of Mexico is rather shallow, and to reach deep water offshore where you might encounter big fish probably means running out 40 or 50 miles before you actually get lines in the water. I think these very high-powered big center console boats can probably run out there at 50-MPH or perhaps faster, so it will only take them an hour to get out to the fishing grounds.

With 1,050-HP on a relatively light and narrow 50-foot center console, that boat's top speed should be 50-MPH or more, and that is going to be better than some big battlewagon 50-foot sport-fisherman yacht that probably has 1,300-HP with twin diesels and can maybe run at 35-MPH. Also better fuel economy--perhaps.

I think for the serious fisherman—who still has to give some thought to how much things cost—will see the big outboard 50-foot center console as a more economical and practical fishing machine. Also, who really ever overnights on a sport-fishing yacht, except perhaps the hired captain and crew. With the outboard, you don't need a captain, and for crew you just get a mate to work for the day trip.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:30 am

Jim,

All good points. There are some very serious very wealthy anglers who own and actively campaign some large sports fisherman cabin boats with comfortable accommodations for tournament fishing. The majority of these boats are in the 50-foot or larger LOA range. Boats over 70 feet are also seen in this class of boats.

There is some very serious money passing hands in the tournaments. Prize money is significant as are entry fees. But the real money is in the side bets between owners and captains.

Typically the tournaments are multi-day events of three or four days. In order to bring the largest fish possible to the daily weigh-in the boats may remain out and continue fishing overnight if they don't have a potential money maker in the hold. The boats usually have multiple anglers aboard so they can have lines out continuously. The boats always troll so fuel tanks must be sufficient for that plus the long trips in and out.

The best thing about the events besides the money generated in the local economy is that there is always a charity involved that gets a good share of the fees. There is also sponsor money which increases the purse and the amount going to the charity.

A happy coincidence for us is the semiannual bill fish tournaments hosted in Orange Beach create a day's-long parade of the big boats streaming eastward in the GICWW past our place. One tournament has an established local parade up and down the GICWW with the anglers and sponsors boats participating.

In the most recent tournament a young lady, a boat owners' daughter, won the top prize. I believe it was a Louisiana based boat.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:56 pm

Re boats in Orange Beach: there certainly must be some wealthy folks around there, as I don't think I have ever seen so many 70-foot Sportfishing Yachts in one place before. Maybe they are owned by college football coaches in the Southeast Conference.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:53 pm

Plenty of those big center consoles never see fish and get very little use. Every time we take a trip to Nantucket and get a slip in the Boat Basin, there's plenty of very large yachts med-moored on the outside (120 - 180') and they usually have at least 1 large center console with multiple outboards as a "dingy". The boats also have large stainless tow brackets on the bow and they are towed from harbor to harbor. I just sit there and think that I would use these large center consoles so much more than they'll ever see.

The most memorable trip out there was when we slipped beside the Lady Gayle Marie, a 140' Berger. My son was younger at the time and met the owner on the pier and started asking him what he had for power, fuel capacity and many other questions. I saw him talking to the gentleman and he invited my son aboard for a tour, but my son declined since we were traveling with 6 other boats and my son felt it wouldn't be fair to the other kids, so the owner told my son to gather everyone and he'd give a tour. We all scrambled up the gangway and spent over an hour aboard going through every inch of the yacht. We quickly learned the gentleman giving the tour was Tom Benson once we saw the New Orleans Saints Super Bowl trophy in the bar area beside the glass elevator. I did manage to snap a couple pics without being noticed to capture the moment and would be happy to share.

He was a super nice guy and very genuine and had fun sharing the experience of his yacht with us. I was grateful for his generosity and thanked him.

D-

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:32 am

There is a lot of oil and timber money on the Gulf Coast. Add in the petrochemical industry and cattle and the result is quite a few impressive yachts. If Nick Saban is any indication SEC football coaches do very well.

Several years ago I visited a local Chevrolet dealership to kick some tires and was immediately joined by a sales representative. We introduced our selves and he quickly asked if I would excuse him for just a moment. He quickly returned with the dealership manager and we exchanged names. He asked a few questions and quickly excused himself. I later learned that the dealership owner provided a new Corvette to Head Coaches in the SEC every year. At the time there was a rather famous coach in the NFL who had previously been with a major university. He and I shared names. It was nice to be famous, at least for a few moments.
Butch

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:41 pm

I grew up on the Alabama gulf coast. It is so much different than it was when I was a kid. The biggest change was after hurricane Fredric when water front land was cheap and the developers bought and built large, high rise condos. The majority of the buyers came from Louisiana and Texas. They still buy and invest in condos, yachts and high end boats