Outrage 22 WD Super Console T-Top Cover

A conversation among Whalers
Ironcladjamin

Outrage 22 WD Super Console T-Top Cover

Postby Ironcladjamin » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:44 am

Hello. I have a 1989 Outrage 22 Whaler Drive with the Super Console and a T-Top. I recently fitted [twin] E-TEC G2 three-cylinder 150-HP engines.

I want to buy a boat cover that would work in a dry stack, probably using sand bags instead of straps--or however best it fits.

What is a good source for such a cover?

[Moderator's note: thread moved to THE GAM for discussion from MARKETPLACE. Do not use MARKETPLACE to elicit discussions.--jimh]

jimh

Re: Outrage 22 WD Super Console T-Top Cover

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:37 am

Commission a local canvas artisan to make a cover to your specifications. I would anticipate the cost will be in the range of $1,000 to $1,700. A good material is Glen Raven Mills SUNBRELLA in their color PACIFIC BLUE. Boat canvas made with this material will have an excellent service life.

Choose the local artisan by looking at his prior work. Often you can find a particularly good local canvas artisan by visiting local marinas and looking at boat canvas. Usually a good artisan will put his name on his work in the form of a sewn-on label. Interview other local boaters in your area and seek their recommendation for a local artisan. Local canvas artisans who do excellent work at reasonable prices will often have a long waiting list of clients, so expect to find the best local artisan might be booked up for several months (or even a year) in advance.

To hold down the outer edges of the hull cover to the boat, use the Wm. J. Mills & Co. curled hook fittings to hold the canvas down under the rub rails by a draw string in the hem of the cover. Or use snaps on the slanted portion of the gunwale.

boatCover.jpg
Fig. 1. Boat cover made by local canvas artisan to custom specifications. This cover had to fit to snaps already installed for the weather canvas. The existing snaps on the windshield frame were able to slide to fit the canvas, but the artisan converted all the sliding snaps to fixed locations. The existing weather canvas pieces (the windshield and two side curtains) and the new cover all fit perfectly onto the new fixed snaps. The workmanship and design of the new cover was excellent.
boatCover.jpg (61.6 KiB) Viewed 2597 times

Shown above is a boat cover I had made about two years ago at a cost of $1,100. The cover was made by a local canvas shop. I found this vendor by visiting several local marinas and looking at the canvas on boats in those marinas. I noted that many boats had very nice canvas made by one particular shop. I contacted the shop and inquired about making a custom cover. The shop had a backlog of work for about four months. I agreed to leave my boat there on its trailer for as long as a month, so the shop could work on my cover whenever they had some down time on other, larger projects. They completed the cover in about three weeks. I am very pleased with their work. The material is SUNBRELLA from Glen Raven Mills in their classic PACIFIC BLUE color.

In the above photograph you can see the under-gunwale curved hooks (that were invented by Wm. J. Mills & Co. for Boston Whaler canvas) located under the rub rail and above the black hull stripe. Those hooks are used on a different boat cover, a heavy, canvas, winter-storage cover the covers the entire boat topsides. That cover has elastic cord (bungy cord) straps sewn in at the appropriate locations to be looped under the curled hooks to hold down the outer edges of the cover. Since that cover is only installed when the boat is on land and on the trailer, there is no problem to put the straps under the hooks by working outside of the boat. The mooring cover that is shown above is designed to be easier to install from working inside the cockpit, and uses the conventional snap fasteners.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:15 am

Dry stack storage facilities have boat height restrictions. Height in this case meaning the measurement form the keel to the uppermost part of the boat. The dry stack where we store our 190 Montauk has a very limited number of spaces where boats with a hardtop can be accommodated. Before buying a cover for you Outrage you may want to look into that. If you find outside storage will be needed you may prefer to have your boat wrapped.
Butch

floater

Postby floater » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:51 pm

Does your cover leak when it's raining? I too have a sunbrella cover that is snapped in place. Everytime it rains the boat gets water in it. I tried treating the cover but it didn't work.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:31 pm

I treat my Sunbrella canvas with Aerospace 303 Fabric Guard, as recommended. My Sunbrella repels water. My Sunbrella does not leak.

If a boat cover allows water to form pools, water will eventually penetrate the fabric if left submerged long enough. A well designed cover does not allow water to form pools.

floater

Postby floater » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:45 am

Thanks for the info on the Aerospace 303. I will go buy some this spring and re-treat my cover.