c.2007 210 Outrage Bilge, Power, Defects

A conversation among Whalers
up&atom

c.2007 210 Outrage Bilge, Power, Defects

Postby up&atom » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:38 am

After a brief period with a different boat brand, a Pioneer 197 Sportfish, I plan to get a 2007 Boston Whaler 210 OUTRAGE with a low-hour VERADO 175-HP engine. Previously I had a 1979 Outrage V-20. From people with newer Boston Whaler boats in similar circumstances, I want to get replies.

I have a cottage on Cape Cod where I have always left our old Boston Whaler 1979 OUTRAGE V-20 boat on an open mooring. We get chop with four-foot wave height on a regular basis, sometimes for days at a time. The boat has to ride out on the mooring. The old Boston Whaler 1979 OUTRAGE V-20 had no bilge pump, and in 30 years I never had a problem with it on the mooring.

I loved the design of the Pioneer 197 and it has brand new F150 but I don't feel safe with it on the mooring. The deck self-bails but it takes a long time to clear water out, I worry about the dependence that puts on the bilge pump.

The only boats that have lasted long-term in my vicinity are Boston Whaler boats, My neighbors have older Montauk boats. and one has a c.2005 Dauntless. The 2007 210 Outrage seems to have some decent size scuppers and a high deck.

I only have to trailer the boat a few miles twice a year.

Q1: is there any concern in newer Boston Whaler boats about their bilge?

Q2: will a 2007 210 OUTRAGE be be under-powered by a VERADO 175-HP engine?

Q3: what defects should be looked for on inspection that are particular to a 2007 210 OUTRAGE?

Thanks.

jimh

Re: c.2007 210 Outrage Bilge, Power, Defects

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:51 am

up&atom wrote:Q1: is there any concern in newer Boston Whaler boats about their bilge?

I don't understand your question. Are you asking if a 2007 210 OUTRAGE can be left on a mooring with the cockpit sump drain open to the sea (which is what I presume you did with the OUTRAGE V-20 boat)?

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:05 pm

up&atom wrote:Q2: will a 2007 210 OUTRAGE be be under-powered by a VERADO 175-HP engine?

In 2007 the 210 OUTRAGE boat was rated for a minimum of 135-HP and maximum of 225-HP. With 175-HP you should be right in the middle of the available power range. All boat performance is related to total weight. If you plan to cruise around with ten big people, five dogs, and two 100-lbs coolers aboard all the time, maybe you want a 225-HP.

The VERADO 175-HP engine was an optional upgrade engine in 2007 from an OptiMax.

A magazine performance report of a 2007 210 OUTRAGE can be easily found with a GOOGLE search and will show that with 175-HP the boat's top speed was 43.7-MPH. See

https://www.saltwatersportsman.com/boats/boat-reviews/boston-whaler-210-outrage/

Although not explicitly clear, the text of the article seems to refer to Boston Whaler's performance data when it cites the above mentioned top speed.

The most useful information in the magazine review may be the mention of the base MRSP in 2007: only $38,700. That figure may be helpful when looking at a used boat of that year and model.

up&atom

Postby up&atom » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:14 pm

jimh wrote:I don't understand your question. Are you asking if a 2007 210 OUTRAGE can be left on a mooring with the cockpit sump drain open to the sea?

Sorry will try and clarify. I am interested to know:

Q4: has anyone with a similar rig that they leave on an open (non-protected) mooring had any problems?

Q5 re water entry to the bilge: if the boat is sitting on a mooring with canvas on center console and garboard and hatches closed, is the bilge going to stay relatively dry?

Q6: Do cupholders, storage and fish boxes, and the center console drain into the bilge?

Q7: in a worst-case scenario does the deck continue to self-bail if bilge fills up?

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:40 pm

If you have particular interest in the 2007 210 OUTRAGE, you can access a complete set of drawings detailing the installation of cup holders and other drains from WHALER.COM. Navigate to the top page, then select WHALER OWERSHIP then RESOURCES. Select the year and model, and you will be presented with a list of more than 20 detailed drawings showing the construction of the boat.

For example, in drawing titled CONSOLE ASSEMBLY AND PARTS LIST, you can see item callout 9 shows 3/8-inch hose drains in each cupholder on the console of a 2007 210 OUTRAGE.

But, really, I would not let the existence or lack of cupholder drains affect my purchase decision of the 2007 210 OUTRAGE boat. And if the console has a weather cover, I don't think the cupholders are going to collect a lot of rain water.

I recommend you make your own personal inspection of the 2007 210 OUTRAGE boat you are considering purchasing, and take it for a sea trial. Compose a list of questions to be asked to the owner or his representative, and seek answers to them during the sea trail and inspection.

You can also contact Boston Whaler customer service and inquire with them about any known defects in manufacturing in the 2007 production year for the 210 OUTRAGE that were addressed by factory recalls or other action under the ten year hull warranty.

ASIDE: Re water in the "bilge": Boston Whaler boats really do not have any bilge space. The space between the hull and the cockpit liner is all filled with foam. Boston Whaler boats just have sump areas, usually located aft or sometimes forward in deck lockers or under cabin tops, designed to collect water and to allow water to be drained overboard by gravity to the sea or in some cases by venturi action of a through-hull drain when the boat is underway, or if the sump is below the normal water line, to allow water to be pumped upward and overboard.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:55 pm

up&atom wrote:Q7: in a worst-case scenario does the deck continue to self-bail if bilge fills up?

Any drains that are above the boat waterline will continue to act as drains, if left open to the sea. A sump area might fill up with water, and water would then begin to collect on the deck, but only to a level at which the deck drains to the sea would be covered. Then the water level will stabilize.

A good way to discover what sort of flooding of sumps or deck will occur can be accomplished in a sea trail. Just stop the boat and open all the sump and deck drains, but leave the electric pumps off. You should be able to discover in a few minutes how much water will be aboard.

ANECDOTE: about 15-years-ago I had a 20-foot Boston Whaler boat for sale. I took a prospective buyer and his wife on a sea trail. When about a mile offshore, I stopped the boat and opened the drain of the cockpit sump. The sump promptly started flooding with seawater. Water rose in the sump about one-inch, then stopped. The wife was quite impressed with this demonstration. The couple bought the boat.

fno

Postby fno » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:05 am

I can answer some of your questions accurately as I also own a 210 Outrage from 2005.

A4. No, I do not leave my 210 OUTRAGE on a mooring. Would I do it? Yes, but certain precautions are needed.

A5: There is limited amounts of water that can get into the bilge. It is large enough for the fuel tank, various pumps, and a water tank. [Water] can enter through the two cup holders by the stern seats. Water can enter through any leaky or unsealed areas of the deck.

A6: Only the two cup holders by the rear seats and the rear storage will [collect rain water] if left [uncovered].

A7: If the bilge does fill up with water the level will still be below the deck. The outboard engine will be close to the water but the decks will still drain. Taking the transom plug out or putting it in the wrong hole will demonstrate this.

My bigger concern is the bilge pump, which will eventually wear down the boat batteries if there is significant accumulation of water in the bilge. If I could observe the boat every day from my window, I would be OK with leaving it on a mooring--but I travel a lot.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:15 am

I have spent many hours on Frank's 210. I personally think a 175-HP is not enough power considering Frank's 210 OUTRAGE does about 45-MPH with a 225-HP. Then again, the Cape is very different boating than what we have down here, and [a 210 OUTRAGE with 175-HP] might be fine for your needs.

I would want to have that VERADO engine looked at with a microscope, especially if it is supercharged.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:27 am

I am sure the VERADO 175-HP will have a supercharger. The model designator VERADO was exclusively for supercharged small-displacement outboard engines from Mercury until very recently, when Mercury began to apply the model designator VERADO to very large displacement, non-supercharged V8 engines, on the basis, I presume, of their original notion of the term "VERADO" meaning not an outboard engine but a "propulsion system." Their transfer of VERADO to non-supercharged engines just seems to generate confusion.

Even though the VERADO engine has "low hours", it would still have needed regular annual maintenance, such as lubricating oil changes for the engine crankcase and gear case, and other recommended annual maintenance procedures. Any engine left sitting for a long period without running is probably due for a close inspection.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:36 am

ASIDE: Bilge is generally understood to be the lowest point of a ship's inner hull. The Boston Whaler boat is a double-bottom hull, and the interior space between the hull and the hull liner, which would normally be an open bilge space, is not open, not really accessible, and is filled with foam and sealed.

There are many area that can collect water, such as sumps which are intentionally designed to collect and hold water, or below-deck-level lockers which may be intended to hold seawater as live fish wells. But these wells and sumps are not really the bilge. The fuel tank cavity may collect and hold water, and although this is probably not really intended to happen, it does. But if the term bilge is to be used to describe sumps and wells, it is misleading. In the bilge, the other side of the hull is the sea. That just does not happen in a Boston Whaler boat.

fno

Postby fno » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:06 pm

Here are some pictures of the sump in my 210 Outrage.

210 Outrage Sump.jpg
The large aft sump area of a 210 OUTRAGE.
210 Outrage Sump.jpg (96.07 KiB) Viewed 9037 times

210 Outrage Sump2.jpg
Another view of the large aft sump area of a 210 OUTRAGE. Note the live well pump mounted vertically, the sump pump located toward the stern, and the float switch directly in front of the sump pump.
210 Outrage Sump2.jpg (100.56 KiB) Viewed 9037 times

11 Sport bilge.jpg
The aft cockpit sump of an 11-foot Boston Whaler boat, what I would consider a true sump that most all traditional older Boston Whaler boats have.
11 Sport bilge.jpg (90.44 KiB) Viewed 9037 times

ASIDE: The bilge of a ship or boat is the part of the hull that would rest on the ground if the vessel were unsupported by water. The "turn of the bilge" is the transition from the bottom of a hull to the sides of a hull.

Internally, the bilges (usually used in the plural in this context) is the lowest compartment on a ship or seaplane, on either side of the keel and (in a traditional wooden vessel) between the floors. The first known use of the word is from 1513.

Att: Catsambis, Alexis, ed. (2013). "Illustrated Glossary of Ship and Boat Terms". The Oxford Handbook of Maritime Archaeology (Oxford Handbooks). Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978 0 19 537517 6

fno

Postby fno » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:14 pm

Re engine power: my boat was on the lot with an OptiMax 175-HP engine installed. I asked the dealer to replace it with a 225-HP four-stroke to close the deal. After 15 years of ownership I am not disappointed with that decision. I also have the T-top option which adds weight and windage to this particular boat.

ASIDE: It seems that Boston Whaler is also confused about the nomenclature used on their own boats.

210 Outrage Sump switch.jpg
View of several illuminated switches on the helm of a 210 OUTRAGE.
210 Outrage Sump switch.jpg (64.35 KiB) Viewed 9034 times

From the left:
  • HORN-the noisy thing that my grandson loves to play with
  • BILGE--the switch that turns on the pump in the space right next to the bilge. I don't think the poor millennial that makes these panels knows how to fit "the space right next to the bilge pump" under that switch.
  • NAV/ANC seemingly sounds like an abbreviation from the military but only turns on some lights sometimes
  • CTSYLT refers to courtesy light, but everyone who knows me knows I don't have a courteous bone in my body. As such I rarely use that switch but if I remember correctly there are two LED lamps under the console footrest that light up the decks for when you drop your bottle opener at night.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:17 pm

ASIDE: Frank—those are nice photographs of a stern compartment on your 210 OUTRAGE. But not the bilge, because the bilge space is sealed and filled with foam.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:55 pm

By the way, that aft compartment looks like it could hold a lot of water. What is the rating on that hull for swamped load capacity? There is going to be a lot of water in that compartment when the boat is swamped, so I am expecting the swamped load capacity is not going to be enormous. (For comparison, the swamped load capacity on a classic 22-footer is 5,000-lbs. That means even with the hull swamped, you can still stay afloat with 5,000-lbs of people, engine, fuel, and gear in the cockpit.)

fno

Postby fno » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:33 pm

Jimh--the manual indicates the swamped capacity of a 210 Outrage is 5,500 lbs. I once forgot the transom plug at the ramp in fresh water. I'm sure the boat filled up with water when I parked the truck. It also drained out when I ran the few miles to Nick's house and then filled back up after I tied the boat up. Half an hour later with beer in hand I noticed the boat was low in the water. I went to take a look and yes the "sump" compartment was filled with water but not as high as the deck. The bilge pump was working overtime to get the water out but that did no good until the plug was put in. After that the bilge pump had the boat drained in about 3 minutes. I think since then I installed a larger bilge pump but do not really know if it can keep up with that 1" hole in the transom waiting for a plug. Old story but worth sharing.

The boat was never unstable or had a tendency to lean to one side or the other filled up with water. Might be a different story if the fish boxes get filled up too as they are not self draining at rest. In motion they self drain.

vze2gbs4

Postby vze2gbs4 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:09 pm

A 210 OUTRAGE has real bilge like any other traditional non-foam-filled boat. The reason it is one of my favorite Boston Whaler boats is because of this rare feature on this stand-alone hull--not crossed with Ventura or Conquest models.

No other Boston Whaler boat I ever owned had anything even close to size of a 210 OUTRAGE bilge space.

This model also has two very deep fish boxes on each side of this bilge--which makes you wonder about non-sinkable. Considering having all this features, then where is the foam?

A 210 OUTRAGE is heavy boat that needs 200-HP minimum.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:44 am

If there were a true bilge space, then the shape of the bilge compartment as seen above in Frank's photograph would reflect the shape of the hull. Of course, it does not. The surface of the large and deep stern compartment is not the hull bottom. It is the hull liner, molded to a completely different shape than the hull.

Also, there is nothing particularly unique about the 210 OUTRAGE. Here is a view of another model of Boston Whaler boat in the process of being built:

235 CONQUEST hull on production line, before the cabin and topsides molded components are added to the hull. This view shows a large stern compartment that will be below deck level in the finished boat. Note that all the rigging pathways and the fuel tank cavity can drain into the sump at the stern.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:45 am

fno wrote:...the manual indicates the swamped capacity of a 210 Outrage is 5,500 lbs.

That is a very good reserve capacity, more than I expected. Thanks for looking up that specification.

The deadrise on that hull is quite steep, ranging from 45-degrees toward the bow and tapering to 20-degrees at the transom (per the magazine review). That deep-V creates a lot of space--space that would be the open bilge on a normally constructed boat --that gets filled with foam. The more space in the hull filled with foam, the more swamped capacity. That's because water down-flooding the cockpit cannot fill up the space occupied by all the foam. That is where the 5,500-lbs swamped capacity comes from. The amount of water the hull can be flooded with is greatly reduced because the boat has no bilge space.

If the 210 OUTRAGE were like a normally constructed boat, there would be an enormous open space--the bilge--where water would enter, and the swamped capacity would be greatly reduced. Another indication that the boat does not have a bilge.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:32 am

fno wrote:...the boat was never unstable or had a tendency to lean to one side or the other filled up with water.

That is an interesting observation. Perhaps with the generally deeper-V hull than most classic Boston Whalers, as the hull settled deeper into the water, the hull-form gained some stability because the newly immersed areas of the hull were not in a deep-V form. I am thinking of a comparison to a dory. When loaded down almost to the gunwales awash, the dory hull becomes more stable than when it has no weight in the boat.

Don SSDD

Postby Don SSDD » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:27 am

ASIDE on a different boat and its stability in high seas when partially down flooded and with a heavy load:

Our fire department rescue boat is a 1994 GUARDIAN with T-top and twin E-TEC 135-HP engines. The 1994 GUARDIAN has a large well just forward of the center console, covered by a [commercial type metal hatch] and a large cooler. A sump pump is in the well. I would estimate this space could hold 20 to 30-gallons of water.

During an exercise, the well's sump pump was noted to be not working. In addition, the fuel tank was full with over 600 litres. The boat was operating in heavy, five to six-foot wave height seas with a crew of four and a fair amount of gear. Several times the GUARDIAN was used to haul as many as eight rescued people from an island to a wharf about two miles away. The GUARDIAN was taking green water over the bow on several occasions, and all aboard were up to their knees in saltwater. The GUARDIAN self-bailed in minutes and handled the seas and onboard weight without problems

We didn’t notice the full forward well and sump not working until we got back to shore. At no time did the boat feel unsafe or unstable.

While not a 210 OUTRAGE, I think this experience with the GUARDIAN demonstrates the [reserve] buoyancy of Boston Whaler's hull design and the hull's self-bailing characteristics. A Guardian is also a much heavier hull than the recreational version of the same size hull.
1986 Outrage 18 with 2001 Honda 130 HP
Former Owner 1991 Guardian 19 with 1994 Evinrude V4 140HP
Former owner 1987 Montauk with 1998 Mercury 90HP
Nova Scotia

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:30 am

fno wrote:Re engine power: my boat was on the lot with an OptiMax 175-HP engine installed. I asked the dealer to replace it with a 225-HP four-stroke to close the deal. After 15 years of ownership I am not disappointed with that decision.

Your experience is probably part of a general trend at that time for Boston Whaler new-boat buyers to be hesitant to buy a Mercury OptiMax engine. At some point, probably after c.2004 when Mercury developed their VERADO engine, Boston Whaler decided to drop the Mercury OptiMax engine from their standard or optional engine configurations.

In regard to the boat we are discussing that may in the future be purchased by UP&ATOM, that this 210 OUTRAGE has a Mercury VERADO engine is an advantage.

fno

Postby fno » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:22 am

Jimh—actually my preference [for a 225-HP four-stroke-power-cycle engine instead of a 175-HP OptiMax] was not based upon any misgivings I had with the OptiMax engine line.

There were two factors to be weighed. First was my wife who had a preference for four-stroke power with no smell, no oil slick, quiet running. The other factor was our experience with our previous boat, a Dauntless 16 which was sporting a 90 HP Mercury FOURSTROKE engine.

The DAUNTLESS 16 was rated for 115-HP. Needless to say, the 90-HP seemed quite anemic at times, and The engine did not want to pull water skiers unless I changed props for better acceleration. The real culprit I believe was the notch Boston Whaler put in the transom and them not really designing that model for four stroke power. I also came to the conclusion that a 115-HP engine would not buy very much more in the way of performance to justify the cost.

When it came time to upsize, I was certainly not going to under power my next boat by 50-HP to save money. The dealer wanted that sale, and he offered a leftover Yamaha-Mercury 225 HP four stroke engine for an additional $1000 over the original cost. Other options existed but with higher costs to trade out the 175 Optimax. That is more or less how that engine found its way onto the transom of my 210 Outrage.

If and when I do decide to repower it will probably be something in the 250 to 300 HP range as long as the weight is not too much. The Mercury PRO XS 300 would make a good lightweight choice today.

For those inclined to comment on the misgivings of powering my boat above the recommended 225 HP, save it for one of the many existing uninformative discussions (debates) already in place for that purpose.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:57 pm

ASIDE on the new topic of why Frank didn't keep the OptiMax:

FRANK--thanks for clarifying that it was your wife who did not want the Optimax because she thought it would be a noisy, oily, smelly two-stroke engine. Your wife certainly made a good decision, and in the case of a significant expenditure on a new boat, that is always a good strategy for the husband.

That you didn't want the OptiMax because it was only 175-HP is interesting, but I see you didn't opt for a 225-HP Optimax in the swap.

In my comment about Boston Whaler customers trending to not buy new Boston Whaler boats with an OptiMax, I didn't specify that there was only one reason or that your basis for your decision was an exemplar of that single reason. But your decision to get another engine on your new Boston Whaler boat other than the OptiMax would have been part of the trend that was occurring which ultimately lead Boston Whaler to stop selling the OptiMax.

A senior manager at Boston Whaler told me that the decision to stop selling the OptiMax was based on their sales history. The sales of new Boston Whaler boats with an OptiMax had declined to become a very small percentage of total engine sales. Rather than maintain the option of an OptiMax, which would have meant keeping OptiMax engines in inventory and all of their associated rigging, Boston Whaler just dropped them.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:59 pm

fno wrote:For those inclined to comment on the misgivings of powering my boat above the recommended 225 HP, save it for one of the many existing uninformative discussions (debates) already in place for that purpose.

FRANK--no worries. As you may know, I am very much in favor of keeping threads on topic, although, I must concede that in this one we have wandered a bit off the main three topics of the self-bailing of a 210 OUTRAGE, its performance with 175-HP, and hidden defects in manufacturing a 210 OUTRAGE in c.2007.

fno

Postby fno » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:00 pm

Jimh, I have to agree we have wandered around a bit for the fun of it but it was hopefully informative. And hopefully the OP has followed our running commentary and didn't run out and buy a Bayliner in the meantime.

up&atom

Postby up&atom » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:11 am

Thanks everyone. The thread has been very helpful.

zigzag930

Postby zigzag930 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:58 pm

I've been away from the forum for a bit, so I just noticed this thread.

up&atom wrote:Q6: Do cupholders, storage and fish boxes, and the center console drain into the bilge?

Yes, the rear cup holders on a 210 Outrage do drain into [the aft below deck open space].

The fish boxes on a 210 Outrage do not drain into [the aft below deck open space]. They drain through the hull when plugs are removed, or out the transom if you have the optional fish box pump-out feature. By the way, if you do have that feature, the pump may likely not work. The pump is no longer available, nor is the motor or crank arm and so on.

The center console could drain into [the aft below deck open space] as well, but ordinarily most water will run down the deck and out the scuppers. There are two boots for wiring and engine controls in the console. If either is not properly sealed, then water could enter the ]aft below deck open space] through these boots.

up&atom wrote:Q2: will a 2007 210 OUTRAGE be be under-powered by a VERADO 175-HP engine?

On the engine power, my 210 Outrage has a VERADO 200-HP. It is all I need--maybe not all I want--and runs the boat to about 45-MPH when loaded with a half-full fuel tank. My 210 Outrage has a T-top and overhead console; both add wind resistance. I would imagine the 175-HP would be fine. A VERADO engine would be my choice over the OptiMax engine. The VERADO is the quietest, smoothest, most-torque engine I've ever experienced.

up&atom wrote:Q3: what defects should be looked for on inspection that are particular to a 2007 210 OUTRAGE?

My 210 Outrage had a bad aft scupper. The scuppers are partially submerged when the boat is at rest. There was a crack in the actual scupper where it passed through the hull. As a result, the [aft below deck open space] filled with water because the float switch had failed. The rear swim platform sat just below the waterline, but no water came onto the deck of the boat.

I'd say if the bilge pump failed, you probably wouldn't have to worry about the boat sustaining much in the way of damage. I would suggest careful inspection of all the scuppers. My 2007 210 Outrage had one fail and a few scuppers looked about to fail, so I replaced all scuppers.

Also, I have had nothing but problems with just about every modern float switch. I'd suggest regular testing and replacement of the float switch.

All in all, the 210 Outrage has been a fantastic boat for me. I've owned much larger boats, up to 48-feet long, and some smaller boats, like my 17 Montauk. This 210 Outrage has been a favorite due to its excellent fuel efficiency, great range, wonderful riding in a chop, and it is perfect for four people (or more on occasion). I use the 210 Outrage for fishing, sand-bar, diving, sightseeing, and so on.

I have two complaints. There is a lack of shade from the T-top, so I am adding an extension to add shade from the rear of the T-Top aft past the engine. This is a problem for any T-top center console and not unique to the 210 Outrage

And, I hate the stainless anchor roller. It bends easily and I have to wrench it back into shape on occasion. This will be removed and taken to a local welder for strengthening at some point.