Water in Hull

A conversation among Whalers
Dave lathrop

Water in Hull

Postby Dave lathrop » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:57 am

Does the SQUALL have a wood transom, a foam transom, or a plywood transom?

I find the transom shows very high moisture readings.

[This post was separated from a thread on a completely different topic. Please do not join a discussion and then propose a completely new and different topic be taken up in that discussion.--jimh]

biggiefl

Re: Water in Hull

Postby biggiefl » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:11 am

Don't use a moisture meter on a Whaler. A SQUALL weighs roughly 125-lbs. Does it feel heavy?
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:40 am

For advice on how to determine if a Boston Whaler Unibond hull has entrapped water, see the answer in the FAQ to this very frequently asked question:

Q3: Is There Water in My Hull?
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q3

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:59 am

Regarding the Boston Whaler SQUALL: the CONTINUOUSWAVE website has never really tried to collect and organize information about the SQUALL and other Boston Whaler sailboats, due mainly to the existence of other websites that focused on those boats.

Normally I would give you the URL of the other websites, but at this particular moment, I cannot find them.

Regarding the construction of the hull of a SQUALL, as far as I know--not very far--it is a Unibond hull and plywood is used for internal reinforcements.

jimp

Re: Water in Hull - Squall

Postby jimp » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:25 pm

Not the best answer for your wood-in-the-transom question, but back in 2002 I asked Boston Whaler's Chuck Bennett for any plans he had on the Squall as I had picked up a waterlogged 1968 rowing model (Cetacea page 67). He sent me what he had, mostly sail plans and how to convert a rowing Squall to a sailing Squall.

Squall2.jpeg
Fig. 1
Squall2.jpeg (92.53 KiB) Viewed 2482 times

Squall3.jpeg
Fig. 2.
Squall3.jpeg (37.71 KiB) Viewed 2482 times

I just dug them out, and no wood locating diagram, but some other drawings that may be useful. I'd guess that there is plywood in the transom at least in the attachment points for the gudgeons and rudder lock (Fig. 1 at callouts 26 and 27). Other information in the drawings call for wood screws. Also a possibility, at callout 17 the downhaul cleat.

Another interesting feature to many of the drawing is that they were approved by the initials "RJD" - Bob Dougherty.

JimP

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:46 pm

That diagram is for a second generation Squall. The original Squall had a retractable keel, built in oarlocks, a rudder attachment, decals at the bow, and was rated for 5-HP. Due to manufacturing cost they really cheapened up the Squall in c.1980 and after. I wonder if the weight of post-1980 boats is different.

I have an original Squall sitting in my shop that is dry.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).