Many Questions

A conversation among Whalers
Miquel

Many Questions

Postby Miquel » Mon May 04, 2020 8:24 pm

I am familiar with the specifications of both the SPORT 11 and SPORT 13. I do not understand the effect of hull size and engine power on how a boat performs. I read that the 11-foot hull won't plane, and that the 11-foot hull is meant to use as a tender or dingy.

Q1: is there a great difference in boat speed and fun factor between a SPORT 11 and a SPORT 13?

Q2: what is the difference between a tender and dingy?

Q3: do various models of a 13-footer use the same hull?

Q4: where can I learn how engine power affects performance of an outboard-engine-powered small skiff?

Q5: is it permissible to post a link to craigslist and ask for an evaluation of the amount of repair necessary?

Q6: [inferred question] is the condition of a boat able to be judged from pictures?

I am a total newbie. Any help will be much appreciated.

jimh

Re: Many Questions

Postby jimh » Tue May 05, 2020 7:31 am

Hello--I moved your thread to THE GAM, which is a forum that discusses general topics. I re-arranged your long post to make the questions being asked clearer. I deleted some of the lengthy comments you had that would not affect the answers to your questions. Here are some answers, which, due to the many questions, are brief but accurate replies:

Miquel wrote:Q1: is the difference in boat speed and fun factor between a SPORT 11 and a SPORT 13 great?

A1: the 13-foot hull has outsold the 11-foot hull by a huge ratio, maybe 500:1. I recommend you use that as an indicator of which one has the better fun factor.

Miquel wrote:Q2: what is the difference between a tender and dingy?

A2: a tender is a boat used to service a larger yacht. The 142-foot BYSTANDER is a tender to the J-Class sailing yacht VESHELDA. There is no size limit to a boat being a tender to a larger boat. A dingy is a very small boat, usually powered by oars, a small sail, or a very small outboard engine.

Miquel wrote:Q3: do various models of a 13-footer use the same hull?

A3: all classic era models noted as a 13-foot hull used the same hull. Later models noted as 13-foot boats tend to use different hulls. The specifications for hulls can be compared by reading:

Dimensions and Production History
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/specifications.html

Miquel wrote:Q4: where can I learn how engine power affects performance of an outboard-engine-powered small skiff?

A4: boat speed for all hulls is related to total weight and propulsion power. For a moderate speed planing hull, boat speed varies with the power-to-weight ratio to the 0.5 exponent. Please see:

Propeller Basics: Part 2
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/prop2.html

Read the section under the heading "CALCULATING SPEED POTENTIAL."

If you need a more in-depth explanation, purchase and read

The Propeller Handbook
by Dave Gerr

Miquel wrote:Q5: is it permissible to post a link to craigslist and ask for an evaluation of the amount of repair necessary?

A5: Do not post links to temporary listing of boats for sale on other websites as the fundamental basis of a discussion. Notices of for-sale are generally very temporary and disappear in a matter of days. The value of a discussion about a boat that can no longer be seen then disappears with it. The website is not interested in collecting information whose value only lasts for a day or two.

For example, if you saw an advertisement for a particular Boston Whaler boat with a particular engine horsepower, and you want to know if the boat can reach plane, a good method is to look up the specification for minimum horsepower for that hull. Boston Whaler ratings for minimum horsepower are generally interpreted to mean the minimum horsepower to push the boat onto plane with the lightest load.

Miquel wrote:Q6: [inferred question] is the condition of a boat able to be judged from pictures?

A6: making a proper assessment of a boat's condition cannot be done only with pictures. An in-person inspection is necessary.

For advice on buying a classic era Boston Whaler boat, please see:

Buying Classic Boston Whaler Boats
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/buying.html

To get background on the 13-foot hull, please see:

The 13-foot Hull
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/13/

To see answers to frequently asked questions about classic era Boston Whaler boats, please see:

Frequently Asked Questions
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/

The forum works best if each thread discusses one particular topic. Threads that ask many questions usually become difficult to follow because the replies to the initial post will branch in many different directions.

Welcome to the forum. If you need more advice about making a particular repair, use the REPAIRS and MODIFICATION forum for each particular repair. If you need more advice about the performance of a particular boat and engine combination, use the PERFORMANCE forum. Using the SEARCH function for the present forum can be helpful. You can also search the old forum and the entire website with the search method available in the old forum. See:

The Old Forum
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/oldForum/

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue May 05, 2020 8:06 am

Regarding the general topic of buying an old Boston Whaler boat that needs a great deal of repair, renovation, or refurbishing to become a useful, safe, and seaworthy boat:

If your primary interest in boating is to get out on the water, to use the boat, and to enjoy the boating experience, I do not recommend buying a used Boston Whaler boat that is in disrepair. There are thousands and thousands of Boston Whaler boats still operating that are in very nice condition and need very little work before they can be used. Buy one of those boats.

If your primary interest in boating is to provide a mechanism for you to enjoy working with old fiberglass, with polyester resins, with epoxy resins, with paint, and you enjoy sanding while wearing total body protection, and you have a good workshop space with good lighting, air handling and filtering, and power, and you have hundreds of hours of spare time to devote, then buy an old hulk Boston Whaler and fix it up. But be aware that the cost of materials, the cost of your labor, and the cost of your time will be likely to be much greater than any value you can add to an old beat-up hull.

Also be cognizant that Boston Whaler boats from the 1960's are now approaching 60-years-old. Some sellers think there is intrinsic value in every old Boston Whaler hull, regardless of condition. In my opinion, condition of an older Boston Whaler is the principal determinant of its value. The worse the condition, the less the value, down to the point of a hull truly having no value as a boat but perhaps having value only as a nautical-themed yard decoration.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Tue May 05, 2020 11:33 am

Miquel wrote:...the 11-foot hull won't plane...

An 11-foot Boston Whaler boat will plane and will plane very well.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

Miquel

Postby Miquel » Wed May 06, 2020 12:21 pm

Thanks for moving and clarifying- my original post was a mess.

All comments make perfect sense.

I have lined up viewings of a couple boats in different conditions. One is a 13-footer with a newer 40-HP engine and a sparse interior that I’m really hoping to end up with.

Biggie--thanks for the input on the 11-foot hull. The one I found has a nice new 15-HP engine, which, from the sound of it, might be a little underpowered but I’m sure works for moving the boat.

Part of my problem is I have a desire to simply get out on the water, but I also have a desire to do all those unpleasant sanding things jimh listed. I’ve decided I can try for both if I time [the boat purchase] well.

Thanks for the input guys. I’ll update you with any restoration work I end up needing ad wanting to do. At a minimum I know I’ll be making a new set of mahogany seats and a helm.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed May 06, 2020 1:17 pm

My wife's family used to have a SPORT 13 with a 35-HP Evinrude. It was a great boat for two people. You could even pull up a water skier--if the water skier was a very svelte young lady.

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Wed May 06, 2020 2:52 pm

A 11 footer with a hp 15 is plenty of power for that boat and will plane and run well for you.

In my opinion wait for the 13' Whaler for your purpose of just getting about on the water. One thing to think about is the handling and stability of the the 11' compared to the 13' Whaler. There will be a big difference between the two boats.
Compare the 13' in rough water compared to the 13'.

First video is a 11 second video is a 13'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlGPPKliG_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dlfGYapvoU

Miquel

Postby Miquel » Mon May 18, 2020 2:09 pm

I missed out on a 13-footer, but I waited and found dealer's trade-in 1984 SPORT [unknown length] with (maybe) an (original) Evinrude 25-HP engine that runs well. I made a deposit on the boat. I should be able to pick it up the week of May 18, 2020. Even my wife is getting into it.

This 1984 SPORT has the original mahogany--except the anchor locker cover. [In the future I plan] new additions to the woodwork to make a SUPER SPORT set-up with with seat backs and storage.

Thanks for all the advice.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 18, 2020 5:51 pm

Congratulations on the new boat. If you have more questions that are specific to the new boat, start a new thread for them in the appropriate discussion forum. Limit question to one question as much as possible. Threads that ask many questions generally are not particularly informative.

We all have a lot of plans for things we may do in the future. Good luck with your plans.