Is a classic Montauk a good fit for me?

A conversation among Whalers
flychris

Is a classic Montauk a good fit for me?

Postby flychris » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:26 am

Hi Guys. [I am a] new guy here. I grew up boating with my Dad on a 21 Outrage and most of my best memories were skiing, wake boarding, fishing, and hanging out with him, my mom, and brother on the boat. We've been off the water now for four years as life, college, and moving to places with little boating have turned our attention to other hobbies.

I've recently moved to Southern California and have continued fishing here. I'm itching to get a boat that will allow me to fish the coast and lakes with the occasional jaunt over to Catalina with weather permitting. I'd like it to be trailerable and low maintenance. Would a Sport 15 or classic Montauk 17 be a good first boat for me in Southern California? Thanks--Chris

Jeff

Re: Is a classic Montauk a good fit for me?

Postby Jeff » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:17 am

Chris--I think I would stick with looking for a 17-foot model so you can run in the ocean on good days as well as trailer out east to the reservoirs in Nevada and Arizona.

If you could stretch for an 18, do it. But on the west coast prices are the highest of anywhere in the US. Especially on good 17 and 18's. You might be best served to find one elsewhere in the US and have it shipped over. There have been a number of outstanding deals in the Texas Gulf Coast on 17 & 18's. For the savings on one of those you could have it hauled out to SoCal and still be ahead of the game.
1993 23 Walkaround Whaler Drive - 1988 190 Grady White Tournament- 1981 15' Striper (under restsoration) - Curator of Everything Boston Whaler on Instagram

porthole

Postby porthole » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:01 am

I really liked my 15 and took it out in some gnarly stuff, but no way I'd take it 20+ miles across open ocean, at least now. Maybe when I was a teen and invincible.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

Sebastian

Postby Sebastian » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:35 pm

I have a classic 17-foot Boston Whaler boat, and I live in San Diego. [The 17-foot Boston Whaler is the] perfect boat for two adults fishing off our coast. I routinely take it 20-miles to 30-miles offshore to fish for pelagics.

[The 17-foot Boston Whaler boat is] not a large boat. I have two 11-year-old boys, and [the boat] does get crowded, [but boating with the two 11-year-old boys on the 17-foot Boston Whaler boat can be done] but [will not be] comfortable or ideal.

[The] cost [of buying a 17-foot Boston Whaler boat] really depends on the condition of the motor and trailer. I have an older motor and have spent [money] on it in the past.

andrey320

Postby andrey320 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:51 pm

If you plan on using [the boat you will purchase] in the ocean, make sure you get a model that allows you to drive comfortably standing up. My Dauntless 15 does well in our coastal waters and on occasional island trips.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:14 am

I have a CENTER CONSOLE 15. I would not take it 20 miles in the ocean--unsinkable or not, as porthole and Jeff said. For your parameters, I would skip the 15--although I often fish with three adults without a problem and had fun fishing with four adults in my center console--and look for 17-feet and up. No matter how big the boat, the weather determines a good or bad ride--see Anthem of the Sea--but a 17 to 18-foot boat would be twice the 15-footer.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

flychris

Postby flychris » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:09 pm

Thanks for all the input; it was just what I was hoping for. I think that Catalina trips will be a stretch for my confidence even in a 18-foot boat. I am more and more convinced that I would prefer a boat in which I can stand and steer for visibility. Thanks again--Chris

JohnW

Postby JohnW » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:27 pm

Don't overlook the OUTRAGE 17. It sounds like it might be a good fit for what you are looking for.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:52 am

Standing while steering is over rated, especially in open water. As long as your visibility forward is good steering while seated can be much less tiring on a long haul or during a day of fishing and moving from spot to spot. If you or your Admiral are not tall enough to see forward well while seated a cushion can make it easy. As one grows older sitting at the helm becomes more attractive.
Butch

porthole

Postby porthole » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:59 am

JohnW wrote:Don't overlook the OUTRAGE 17. It sounds like it might be a good fit for what you are looking for.

Especially if you were on the east coast - since I have a nice one available.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

flychris

Postby flychris » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:54 pm

Just saw yours. Looks very nice!

PJMSport15MY1984

Postby PJMSport15MY1984 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:49 pm

Hello FlyChris,
My wife and I have a 1984 Sport 15. They are great, but they are not set up to go from the west coast of Los Angeles Area to Catalina Island. They are much more of a fun boat designed to throw in a lake, and go have fun for the day. They have a low freeboard, and they ride hard. We live in the Northwest. Even though, our little sport 15 has been on Puget Sound on more than one occasion, it has to be driven at idle or very slowly when the sound gets snotty, and it is not a lot of fun.
The channel between the western Los Angeles Area and Catalina Island is somewhat like Puget Sound, and that it can deceive you in thinking it is a peaceful body of water. Unfortunately, it can change its tune in a heartbeat. I used to live down there and boat. I would go for at least a Montauk 17 or bigger if I was going to be using it on that body of water regularly.
Good Luck.
Paul

LCnSac

Postby LCnSac » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:38 am

I had a 2009 170 Montauk, and that's a very different and larger boat from the classic. I think I'd be OK with a 52 mile [round trip] to Catalina with a kicker in calm seas and light air. Locally, guys take rougher trips in northern California in their 170 boats. I agree the 17 or 18 Outrage would be perfect and safer. I fish from an 18 Outrage occasionally and feel very confident in big water. In my case, the 170 Montauk was too much boat for me for the majority of my fishing. I lost the intimacy with the water on anything but saltwater. I fly fish mostly inland lakes and estuaries and strongly prefer my 150 Sport, but would not consider a Catalina run with this one. A classic Montauk would be fine for me as well, should have bought that in the first place.

endus

Postby endus » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:56 pm

I have an 2004 Montauk 170. It definitely rides better than the older Montauk hull, but it's still a very rough ride in any significant seas. I have driven the original Montauk in full blown storms with water up to my ankles in the boat, and have had my 170 out in some very rough conditions as well. I trust the boats a lot, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous on my Truro to Provincetown jaunt last summer when the seas were up (should have turned around, live and learn). Wasn't worried for my immediate safety, but was concerned about just how long it was going to take to get back, and how wet and beat up I would be when I got there.

We've taken the boat probably 6 or 8 miles up the coast, and I took it from Chatham out around the tip of Monomoy in Cape Cod by myself, but I think that's about the limit for the boat. Its definitely not an immediate safety concern, but the speed you can reasonably go gets lower and lower as the waves come up. Hand the boat some big waves and then add in a strong current and winds pushing you away from your destination and you might just have a serious problem on your hands.

That said, it is such a great boat! It is a great size to easily trailer to different ramps and it is certainly more than capable of handling the open ocean as long as you are conscious of its limits. If I were planning to keep the boat in the water somewhere I would definitely consider getting something bigger with a V hull, but for any trailering it really is a perfect size.

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:00 am

Fishing and boating in SoCal and in the big desert reservoirs? That's me. I live in SoCal and got a Montauk with the dream of taking it to the islands. It turned out to be a fantasy... You can't just go when you want. You really have to pick your days and watch the weather carefully. It get's in the way of a good time, to be constantly worrying about getting back. You need something bigger. On the other hand, I fish the kelp paddies in front of my house in Santa Barbara within a mile or two of shore in my 13 Sport, and it's perfect for that. I moved my Montauk out to our lake house in Boulder City by Lake Mead. Lake Mead gets big, but the Montauk is a better fit there especially when it's hot out and the water is warm. The Pacific in SoCal is too big wet rough and cold for serious boating in a small boat, unless you are a serious hairy chested mariner.

-Peter

flychris

Postby flychris » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:22 pm

pcrussell50 wrote:Fishing and boating in SoCal and in the big desert reservoirs? That's me. I live in SoCal and got a Montauk with the dream of taking it to the islands. It turned out to be a fantasy... You can't just go when you want. You really have to pick your days and watch the weather carefully. It get's in the way of a good time, to be constantly worrying about getting back. You need something bigger. On the other hand, I fish the kelp paddies in front of my house in Santa Barbara within a mile or two of shore in my 13 Sport, and it's perfect for that. I moved my Montauk out to our lake house in Boulder City by Lake Mead. Lake Mead gets big, but the Montauk is a better fit there especially when it's hot out and the water is warm. The Pacific in SoCal is too big wet rough and cold for serious boating in a small boat, unless you are a serious hairy chested mariner.

-Peter

Thanks for the info. I realize that the Montauk would be limited to nice days and getting home early. I'm not sure I'd be too comfortable in any craft going out in miserable weather. If I'm going to be doing this for fun, the weather had better be nice.

I'm also limited to towing with my Subaru Outback (2700lb stated tow capacity) so I don't want to overburden that.

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:50 pm

Aha! A "minimalist tower" :). I'm the same way. I can't tell you how many times I've towed my HEAVY Montauk the short drive from my house in Santa Barbara, to the harbor, with my 5-speed manual, 1986 Nissan Stanza 4wd Wagon (not a typo). Anyhow sounds like you know what you're up against. I still think a small Outrage would be better (for both of us), but it is a LOT more boat than a Montauk, with the non-linear increase in hassle that comes with more size. You won't be disappointed with a Montauk. I'm not, with mine.

-Peter

flychris

Postby flychris » Sun May 01, 2016 5:03 pm

Cheers, thanks for the advice. keeping an eye on various classifieds to see whats around

Sounds like an admirable vehicle you have, my subaru is a manual too. My grandpa called anything with an automatic transmission a "golfcart".

Chris