REVENGE 22: Cost to Replace Fuel Tank

A conversation among Whalers
DJ_Ambrose

REVENGE 22: Cost to Replace Fuel Tank

Postby DJ_Ambrose » Thu May 14, 2020 5:42 am

To someone who had the fuel tank on a REVENGE 22 replaced by a professional: what was the cost?

Maverick

Re: REVENGE 22: Cost to Replace Fuel Tank

Postby Maverick » Thu May 14, 2020 6:20 am

In 2014 I paid about $900 to buy a 63-gallon Florida Marine Tank fuel tank for my Guardian 18. To buy new USCG-approved fuel hoses and new bonding wiring cost about $50.

I did the work myself, which had many steps and took probably 20 hours work time. The shop rate for marine service that I'm familiar with is $75 to $110 per hour. This cost could be lower where you live.

I discovered the fuel tank had many bad spots, and I thought it may have been leaking. I wasn't certain. I wasn't sure of the telltale signs. The fuel tank had many corroded spots on the topside, was oily, and had some thick white powder on the sides.

When the tank was pried out of the fuel tank cavity, I could--literally--stick a finger through the white powdery area into the tank. I was glad pulled it out for inspection and then replacement. I will have a better idea what to look for next time. A careful and thorough inspection is essential where fuel is concerned.

Be safe. Check everything carefully. Get it right.

I did not have to replace the fuel tank cover deck, but I did make a repair on its underside in one small area.