Power Bimini Tops for Boats Make Sense

A conversation among Whalers
frontier

Power Bimini Tops for Boats Make Sense

Postby frontier » Sun May 31, 2020 8:35 am

A power Bimini top for a boat makes sense. Cars have power [convertible] tops. I saw an advertisement for a power Bimini top for boats.

Is there a Boston Whaler boat fitted with a power Bimini Top?

jimh

Re: Power Bimini Tops for Boats Make Sense

Postby jimh » Sun May 31, 2020 9:54 am

I do not have a clear sense of what you mean by a "power Bimini top." Further explanation would be very helpful to understanding what you are seeking.

frontier

Postby frontier » Sun May 31, 2020 10:56 am

Cars have power convertible tops. Push a button to make top go up or down.

ShureShade on their website wrote:SureShade Power Bimini Electric Shade System: The SureShade Power Bimini (formerly PWR-ARM by Schwintek, Inc.) is a fully automatic bimini top that can be added to virtually any pontoon or deck boat. At the touch of a button, the Power Bimini electrically extends for full shade coverage, adjusts to different positions to block the sun and then easily retracts to stow away within a boot

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun May 31, 2020 12:38 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

I found the manufacturer's website and the page about the power Bimini top at

https://www.sureshade.com/power-bimini/

Now that I understand what you are talking about, I will offer a few comments about this product.

I had never heard of this product before your mention of it. It looks designed for pontoon boats. The width of the top is 92-inches minimum. My classic Boston Whaler boat has a beam of 7-feet 5-inches, or 89-inches. This is typical for 22-foot or smaller classic hulls. To mount on the gunwales, I would allow at least three inches on each side, or six inches less, meaning the width for mounting a frame hinge would be 83-inches. A mounting that needed 92-inches width would be 9-inches too wide. On that basis I do not see any possible application of the power Bimini Top on classic Boston Whaler boats of 22-feet or less length.

On classic Boston Whaler boats, the usual weather canvas is from Wm. J. Mills & Co., or something very similar. When I go boating, I have the Flying Top frame erected. If I want to deploy the Flying Top it only takes about 30 seconds to unzip the cover, pull the hinged frame forward, and connect the two straps to the padeyes. The frame is built from stainless steel tubing and is very sturdy.

We are often operating the boat into headwinds. The boat speed might be 20-MPH. The headwinds might be 25-MPH. This gives a 45-MPH wind on the boat. I would not trust a big Bimini top that relied on some sort of motorized hinged frame to be able to withstand that sort of wind pressure. Also I would be worried about the motion on the boat. Sometimes we have to tolerate some rough seas. The last thing I want to worry about is a big motorized sun top and frame breaking loose. To fold down a 10-foot-long top in any strong wind will be risky. The top will become a big sail.

Maybe if you own a pontoon boat and cruise around at 5-MPH on some small lake on a sunny day with no wind the power sun top might be useful. I don't see any use for it on my classic Boston Whaler boat. It does not make sense to me.

frontier

Postby frontier » Sun May 31, 2020 4:43 pm

This same company - Sureshade - already supplies Boston Whaler with factory option "Automated Shade" products for many Outrage, Conquest, Vantage and Realm models with hardtops.
Maybe a power bimini is in the future for smaller Boston Whaler boats.
With many modern pontoon boats using high technology and high HP outboards, many reach speeds of 30 to 50 MPH. Pontoon boats are huge sellers. My guess is a power bimini top would stand up well to the average speed of our classic Boston Whaler boats.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:34 am

If you install a power Bimini top on your Boston Whaler boat, let us know how it worked out for you. You seem quite enthused about the product and its suitability for use on Boston Whaler boats.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:07 am

They have used power tops for decades but usually on much larger boats. They usually consist of some sort of rigid frame that has either a soft or hard top that extends to block or allow sunlight. A power top like a car would have to be very sturdy in my opinion and would still need to be secured once opened.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).