Replacement Navigation Lamp

A conversation among Whalers
dg22

Replacement Navigation Lamp

Postby dg22 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:08 pm

I lost the [some part referred to as a "cover" for the white all-round pole lamp] on my original 1967 13-footer. [This part of the lamp referred to as a "cover"] appears to not be manufactured anymore.

Where can [a new white all-round] pole [lamp] be purchased that will fit the existing hardware on my 13-foot boat?

lamp2_.jpg
Fig. 1. OEM mounting hardware for pole lamp
lamp2_.jpg (8.2 KiB) Viewed 1643 times

Phil T

Re: Replacement Navigation Lamp

Postby Phil T » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:21 pm

You are looking for a [white all-round lamp] on a pole with bare wires.

If you select aluminum, like most of the cheap Attwood, SeaDog brands, and leave in the holder, it will fuse itself to the brackets. Either stow when not in use or purchase a high quality chrome over bronze pole from Perko.

https://www.nausetmarine.com/shop/1035237-light-pole/
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: Replacement Navigation Lamp

Postby jimh » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:30 pm

dg22 wrote:Where can [a new white all-round] pole [lamp] be purchased that will fit the existing hardware on my 13-foot boat?

There is very little about the OEM hardware that limits your choice of a replacement lamp on a pole. You just need to buy a replacement lamp on a pole with the outside diameter (OD) of the replacement lamp pole to be the same as the OEM hardware on the boat. You can choose from many possible pole lamps. Just measure the diameter of the existing pole to deduce what the needed diameter will be.

Navigation lamps like a white all-round pole lamp are sold by many, many retailers and distributors. You will not have any problem finding a vendor.

I deleted all reference to the navigation lamp under discussion which used an improper name for the lamp. The federal regulations for navigation lighting only specify the LIGHT that is to be shown. The light is give a particular name. The lantern or lamp that produces the light goes by the name for the LIGHT it creates. The lanterns or lamps are not named by their location on the boat such as "bow" or "stern."