Buying My First Boston Whaler

A conversation among Whalers
exostash

Re: Buying My First Boston Whaler

Postby exostash » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:03 pm

They changed the Montauk a lot lately, self bailing and more, buy the new one or get an little older.

cb_nbpt

Postby cb_nbpt » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:22 pm

Starting to thinking this isn’t meant to be. Just drove 10 hours round trip for nothing. Drove from MA to NJ to buy the Dauntless 15. Saw the motor start up flawlessly yesterday via FaceTime probably 8-10 times. No problems. Drove 5hrs today and the motor couldn’t start. Change gas tank and line, changed spark plugs... no spark. We couldn’t agree on a price as-is so I had to walk away. Super frustrating... this thread is now turning into “Tales of a super unlucky first time boat buyer that might never buy a boat.” Wish the bars were open, sure could use a pint of 12 of Guinness.

Tom Hemphill

Postby Tom Hemphill » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:47 pm

cb_nbpt wrote:Any tips on driving routes from Parlin NJ to Newburyport MA for a first-time boat trailering fool like me?

Be advised, vehicles with a trailer in tow are generally not allowed on any roads with "parkway" or "expressway" in their names. Rather than cross the Hudson on the George Washington Bridge, crossing farther north on the Tappan Zee Bridge may be less stressful. Likewise, I try to avoid Interstate 95 and favor more inland routes.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:01 pm

I always adopt the attitude the candidate boat I am going to see will be a disaster and I will drive home empty. Keeps emotions in check.

It is not the goal, it is the journey that one should focus on.

We all have our story on finding our first, second, third etc. boat.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

cb_nbpt

Postby cb_nbpt » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:08 am

Phil T wrote:I always adopt the attitude the candidate boat I am going to see will be a disaster and I will drive home empty. Keeps emotions in check.

Indeed, good advice. I got my hopes up because of the massive stressful drive and the fact that I finally "got one", since the other boats I had lined up got snatched from under my fingertips. Lessons learned: reduce the shopping/driving radius and assume it's not gonna work out.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:09 am

Tell him to get it running and deliver to you.

Did you check the safety lanyard? Lastly to rule out the neutral safety switch or bad key switch, unplug the wiring harness at the engine and rope start or at least see if there is spark. This is also how you hotwire a boat in case you ever need to do so.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

cb_nbpt

Postby cb_nbpt » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:30 am

biggiefl wrote:Tell him to get it running and deliver to you.
We might work something out like that. He's going to keep me posted. They felt terrible about how far I drove. They were good people.

biggiefl wrote:Did you check the safety lanyard? Lastly to rule out the neutral safety switch or bad key switch, unplug the wiring harness at the engine and rope start or at least see if there is spark. This is also how you hotwire a boat in case you ever need to do so.
The ignition worked fine, the flywheel spun, it wanted to run, but there was no spark even with new plugs.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:47 am

The engine will turn all day with the safety lanyard not connected.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).