2002 255 CONQUEST Optional Fishing Package

A conversation among Whalers
Ratking20

2002 255 CONQUEST Optional Fishing Package

Postby Ratking20 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:38 pm

Were pumps for the two fishboxes an option on a 2002 255 CONQUEST?

Where would a fish box pump be located?

Back story: for my [recently purchased] 2002 255 CONQUEST I bought a new switch panel. I rewired all the switches. On the switch panel on this 2002 255 CONQUEST there is a three-position switch labeled FISHBOX and PORT for up and STARBOARD for down. The switch illuminates when operated. But the pump for the fishbox do not work. [If pumps for the fishboxes were an option, then this boat] might not even have any. I checked the wiring diagram. The wires are placed correctly [onto the switch]. The FISHBOX switch is the only switch I that is causing a problem.

What else can I check?

Thanks for any help.

jimh

Re: 2002 255 CONQUEST Optional FIshing Package

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:38 am

Ratking20 wrote:What else can I check?

On the 2005 Boston Whaler catalogue pages for the 255 CONQUEST under the sub-heading "Notable Options" there is a mention of an option for a "FIshing Package."

The Fishing Package option list a number of additional devices included in the package. One of those is "Fishbox pump-outs."

A c.2002 255 CONQUEST boats with the Fishing Package option will have two tackle drawers and five rod holders; a boat without the Fishing Package option has no tackle drawers and only two rod holders. These visual clues should inform if the boat has the Fishing Package option. If the boat has the Fishing Package option, the boat will have Fishbox pump-outs.

If the boat under discussion is determined to have Fishbox pump-out pumps, the first step in diagnosis of the cause for the pumps to not operate will be to locate the pumps. There are two general causes for an electrically operated pump to not work: no electrical power is being provided to the pump motor; or, there is electrical power provided to the pump motor, but the pump motor does not operate due to failure of some sort. The failure can be electrical or mechanical.

Presence of electrical power at the pumps can be determined by measurement of current and voltage at the pump.

Electrical wiring that is placed in area to that will routinely be submerged in water will be more prone to failure due to ingress of water, particularly saltwater, than electrical wiring that is kept dry.

jimh

Re: 2002 255 CONQUEST Optional Fishing Package

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:11 am

Ratking20 wrote:The switch illuminates when operated.

Electrical switches that illuminate when the switch position is moved to an energized position generally are wired so that the power for the illuminating lamp is provided at the switch itself, and not from a return circuit from the load end. This means the switch illumination only indicates the circuit was energized at the switch. Switch illumination in the energized position of the switch should not be interpreted to mean that the load in the circuit being controlled by the switch is receiving proper power. Any problem in the wiring downstream from the switch could affect the circuit and prevent the load from from receiving electrical power.

fno

Postby fno » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:26 am

It is not uncommon for modern era Boston Whaler boats to have unused switches on the operators panel. Makes sense to make only one panel. The switches are probably wired to a breaker and stop there. If you do have fishbox pumps the fish boxes will have a drain at the bottom at the stern end. If the pumps are macerator pumps there will probably be two (one for each box). If the pump is a diaphragm type then there is usually one. The locations can be found on the parts drawings found on Boston Whalers website.

Ratking20

Postby Ratking20 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:15 pm

[M]y [2005 255 CONQUEST] boat does have an operating livewell and does have tackle boxes. [My opinion is the boat does] have the Fishing Package option.

Q: [What is the] best way to find the pumps?

Q: [Can I] just find the hole where the water would pump out and follow the hose?
[I will] look for through-hull fittings where the water would pump out of the fishboxes.

There is barely a mention of the fishboxes in the owner's manual on-line. No mention of how to operate it. [The owner's manual on-line] just mentions that it exists.

Thanks in advance for all this help.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:31 pm

Ratking20 wrote:Q: [What is the] best way to find the pumps?

The pumps can be located by following other devices that are connected to them. Since the pumps are operated by an electrical motor, locate the circuit at the helm that supplies power to the pumps and follow the conductors from the helm to the pumps. Since the pumps exhaust water, look for hose connections in the fish boxes that lead to the pumps, or look for the pumps themselves in the fishboxes.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:48 pm

I moved three questions about how power control switch illumination status could be interpreted to the SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL forum for discussion. See

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5574&p=32433#p32431

DIscussion of electrical circuitry on small boats is conducted (pun intended) in the SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL forum.

GoldenDaze

Postby GoldenDaze » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:20 pm

Check the resources section on the Boston Whaler website at

https://www.bostonwhaler.com/boat-ownership/resources/

Once you select the year, model type, and specific model, you will have a wealth of information at your fingertips. Like this diagram

http://bostonwhaler.com.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/255-Conquest-Fishwell-Pumpout-System-Assembly-Sheet-2-of-2-2002.pdf

which shows the exact location of the port and starboard fish box pumps.

-Bob
2003 160 Dauntless Golden Daze

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:23 pm

Ratking20 wrote:There is barely a mention of the fishboxes in the owner's manual on-line. No mention of how to operate it. [The owner's manual on-line] just mentions that [the fisfboxes] exist.

When making a reference to a resource that is “on-line”, please give the URL for the on-line resource in order that readers can know what you are making a reference to.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:55 pm

GoldenDaze wrote:Once you select the year, model type, and specific model, you will have a wealth of information at your fingertips. Like this diagram

http://bostonwhaler.com.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/255-Conquest-Fishwell-Pumpout-System-Assembly-Sheet-2-of-2-2002.pdf

which shows the exact location of the port and starboard fish box pumps.

BOB--you have found the EXACT diagram that shows the EXACT location of the pumps that the OP has indicated he is having a problem locating. You have given the OP wonderful advice. For owners of recently-made Boston Whaler boat, the website at

BOSTONWHALER.COM

provides an amazing amount of detailed, illustrated, wonderfully drawn diagrams to answer just about any question any owner of ay recently-made Boston Whaler boat could have. If only there were such detailed drawings available from BOSTONWHALER.COM in a beautifully indexed and easily accessed method for all the older boats they made prior to the c.2002 era--what a wonderful world that would be.