Massachusetts Boat Title

A conversation among Whalers
cb_nbpt

Massachusetts Boat Title

Postby cb_nbpt » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:12 pm

I found a great boat for me at a great price but it's down in Connecticut, and the seller doesn't have a title since they're a no-title state. I'll need to title it up here in Massachusetts.

In looking at the Massachusetts RMV page I see the first note is: "When a boat is purchased from a private party sale or dealer from a non-title state, the seller's previous boat registration is required in lieu of a title."

https://www.mass.gov/how-to/first-time- ... gistration

All I need is the bill of sale and the seller's registration, and I can register and title the boat here in Massachusetts.

As for the trailer, it's under 3,000-lbs so it seems I don't need a title for the trailer. But I will have to register the trailer.

Is the bill of sale enough for that?

Should I write up separate bills of sale for the boat-motor and another for the trailer? The registration takes place at different locations.

Gotta love Mass RMV. They love to complicate things.

I am trying to avoid any hiccups when I go to get the new boat registered and titled. I'd like for this to go as smoothly as possible so I don't regret the whole thing.

jparmelee

Re: Massachusetts Boat Title

Postby jparmelee » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:52 pm

Just went through this myself: [bringing in a boat] to Massachusetts from Connecticut.

I got two bills of sale from Connecticut, one for the trailer and one for the boat and motor.

You need to get a copy [from the seller] of the trailer and boat registration; you will need these documents.

[With all those documents] you are good to go—enjoy.

Also: I never sent along originals in the mail, and all [paperwork] went through. Your mileage may vary.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:24 pm

Dealing with agencies of state government administering licensing and registrations often comes down to which employee you happen to wind up dealing with and how you and that person communicate and relate.

I recently had a very odd problem that needed resolution at the Secretary of State office in Michigan. After waiting about an hour for my turn at the head of the line, I had the good fortune to get a clerk who was friendly, efficient, and knowledgeable. In literally 90-seconds my problem was resolved and I walked out with all new documents and license plates at no cost.

May your new boat and trailer registration and transfers of ownership go as smoothly.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:23 pm

My [15-foot] Boston Whaler boat came from New Hampshire, which is also a non-title state. I had no problem registering in Massachusetts two years ago.

I was able to pay the sale tax on-line. I visited the office in Boston to register with the required information—less title—and the process was painless. Maybe I was just lucky.

D-

cb_nbpt

Postby cb_nbpt » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:58 pm

Thanks so much for all the input folks. Much appreciated. Heading down tomorrow to hopefully buy the boat.

jparmelee wrote:You need to get a copy [from the seller] of the trailer and boat registration; you will need these documents.

Are copies of the registrations ok or do they need to be originals? You said copies, but I just want to make 100% sure. I called several of the Mass offices but no one answered... covid? lunch break? ;)

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:17 am

I would get originals and bring both to DMV.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).