First Used Boat

A conversation among Whalers
Papag

First Used Boat

Postby Papag » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:37 am

Give me advice on selecting a used first boat. I amable to perform some basic maintenance, but not on an engine. I live in Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

Critera:
  • the boat will be on a trailer and used locally and around New England inland waters
  • [tow vehicle is] an F150
  • I want a simple, clean boat to be used for ponds, small lakes, ocean bay areas close to land
  • [boat will be used to] mostly to cruise around; the only fishing will be simple pond or lake fishing with grandkids, nothing serious
  • the boat must carry three adults and two grandchildrem
  • budget is $10,000; less is better
[Separated into its own thread after hijacking another fellows discussion. Do not hijack someones thread. Start your own thread to talk about what you want to talk about--Moderator]

Jefecinco

Re: First Center Console Boat

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:56 am

If a Boston Whaler is what you want I suspect you are going to need to up your budget given your planned use of the boat. If you want to accommodate three adults and two children you are going to need something in the 17 foot or larger range.

If I were in your situation I would start looking for a used classic Montauk 17. If you are able to find one with a usable salt water trailer it will probably need some work to bring it to a reasonably safe and reliable condition. If you are handy and don't mind some hard work it will be a plus.

If you can wait until the Summer boating season ends you will be more likely to find a boat in your price range. Buying then will give you several months to work on the boat for a Spring 2021 launch.
Butch

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:43 am

There is a very nice one in NC for sale in the marketplace for $6,000 road trip and don't delay.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

Papag

Postby Papag » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:57 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. The 17 Montauk feels like the better option.

And timing of the purchase is not a concern for me. To wait for the end of the season and watch for someone ready to sell makes sense.

With three adults and two kids, what is a good choice for engine[horse]power?

I am assuming [boat operation in] lake and streams will be okay, but when the trip includes near-coast waters, in the event of chop, some [engine or boat that is] stronger may be needed. [I will not be] going far out.

Don SSDD

Re: First Used Boat

Postby Don SSDD » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:13 am

Most 17’s have 90 hp or close to it which is plenty hp for your use. I’d say 60-90 hp would be fine.

You will see 2 stokes and 4 strokes, some 4 strokes are fairly heavy where the 2 strokes are almost always lighter and have more low end torque.

Start looking now- you may find what you want plus the looking will educate you on what’s available in your area and price and condition combinations. Buy the first one that suits you. The Montauk 17’s are older so they are getting harder to find.
1986 Outrage 18 with 2001 Honda 130 HP
Former Owner 1991 Guardian 19 with 1994 Evinrude V4 140HP
Former owner 1987 Montauk with 1998 Mercury 90HP
Nova Scotia

Papag

Postby Papag » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:45 am

Don, thanks for the note.

I am now looking for a boat. Many used boats in my price range have older two-stroke-power-cycle engines.

My brother-in-law in a second generation boating family is telling me I'd be nuts to get an older two-stroke-power-cycle engine [because of the] age, noise, risk of engine failure, and extra maintenance efforts.

[Give me your opinion of my brother-in-law's opinion]

ASIDE TO DON: Nova Scotia is beautiful. My other hobby is motorcycles and in Spring 2019 I did a two-week trip around NS--a great time, lots of fish chowder and scallops, and fun rides.

MarkCz

Postby MarkCz » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:30 am

You may have to raise your budget a little to get a descent Montauk that has been repowered with a 4 stroke. Like someone mentioned be careful about putting too much weight on the transom of a classic Montauk. I have a 1987 Montauk with a 1987 70 hp 2 cycle power stroke engine and that has plenty of power to get on plane with 4 adults.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:33 am

Re my opinion of your brother-in-law's opinion about older two-stroke-power-cycle engines:

Older two-stroke-power-cycle engines that have been well-maintained and were originally good and reliable engines can continue to be reliable and good engines as long as they are well maintained.

The difference in noise level between modern engines and older engines is the largest at idle speeds, and when the engine is running at higher throttle the difference in noise becomes much less. If a few decibels of quieter running is worth $10,000 for your auditory enjoyment, get a modern engine.

The difference in maintenance between modern engines and older engines is not particularly large, and older two-stroke-power-cycle engines may require less maintenance. On older two-stroke-power-cycle engines there are no crankcase lubricating oil sumps to drain, no oil filters to replace, no valves to check for clearances as will be found on many modern engines.

If modern two-cycle oil is used there will be little smoke or odor in the exhaust of an older two-stroke-power-cycle engine.

The reliability of an older two-stroke-power-cycle engine can be quite good, but this characteristic will depend on the original quality of the engine, how well the engine has been maintained, how many hours of operation the engine has endured, what sort of service the engine was in, and many other factors all related to how the engine was used. Generally there are OEM or aftermarket parts (often better than OEM in some cases, particularly electrical parts) still available.

There are many c.1980 outboard engines still running just like new, are kept in like-new condition and appearance, and are highly reliable. These qualities depend entirely on the ownership, care, and prior use of the engine.

ASIDE TO DON RE NOVA SCOTIA: we visited Nova Scotia in 1997 and rented a car. We drove around for two weeks and had a great vacation there. We visited the small towns of PORT HEBERT and LITTLE PORT HEBERT on the southeast coast due to their familial namesakes, Halifax, Cape Breton, Bra d'Or, the Fortress of Louisbourg, the site of Marconi's transmitter used in the first radio transmission from North America to Europe, and many other interesting places. We did get out on the water on a whale watching boat and a leaky skiff that we rowed out and very quickly rowed back to shore.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:48 am

You may want to look around freshwater lake areas. Knowing the Cape personally, most boats are kept on a mooring and have never or rarely seen a fresh water bath nor flushing. Good thing is your season is shorter than many others so usage is probably lower.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

Papag

Postby Papag » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:43 am

Agree with looking off-season. Any yes, most whalers viewed locally are moored all season. Expanded the search for all New England and upstate NY.

[Moved new topic to a separate thread.--Moderator]

Papag

Postby Papag » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:15 pm

Starting small. Went for a 2003 sport 130 with the original 40 hp merc 2 stroke w/oil injection.

Was focused on a montauk (17 foot) and 4 stroke, but decided to start small. Also, my wife wanted to get something she could trailer to the local pond and easily manage.

The boat was on a large lake and spent the past 2 years in the ocean.

Picking it up Wednesday and heading to western MA (berkshires) to try and find a lake or two to explore with grandkids.

Thanks for the advice (and convincing me a 2 stroke will work).

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:07 am

Be careful....many lakes do not allow 2 strokes anymore.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:34 pm

Given the person requirement, you are looking at a 16'/17' or even 18' boat.

Within your budget means older models, Montauk, Nauset, Sakonnet, Eastport, Dauntless and Outrage.

This is a terrible time to buy a boat. Prices are 30% above typical/appropriate levels. Wait till sanity comes back.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003