A Whaler That Fits My Needs

A conversation among Whalers
AlexB

A Whaler That Fits My Needs

Postby AlexB » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:14 pm

I just joined the forum to learn more about the Boston Whaler line and to help me decide if there's a Boston Whaler boatout there that might be a good fit for me and my family. I must admit I'm partial to Arima boats, and my current top choice is the 19-feet Sea Ranger, but I don't want to dive in without doing some thorough research on other potential makes and models. Boston Whaler boats are definitely in the mix of possibilities.

Suggest a Boston Whaler that might be a good fit given the details below:

• Budget: Semi-flexible for the right boat, but ideally [a cost of less than $25,000 to $30,000] for something with a modern, reliable four-stroke-power-cycle engine. I’d also consider an older boat that could be re-powered within my budget. I like the idea of a warrantee on the engine for the first bit of time.)
  • Tow vehicle: 2005 Toyota 4Runner with low miles and 5000-lbs towing capacity
  • Destinations and activities: Home port will be Bodega, but plan to hit all the usual California Bay Area spots for salmon, rockfish, halibut, etc, as well as explore lakes all over California. Angling is the big priority for me, but I also want something that will be enjoyable for a relaxing day at the lake or pulling a tube.
  • Captain and “crew”: Realistically I will probably spend a decent amount of time fishing solo, but I want something that will be reasonably comfy for my wife (who likes to fish, but is not “hardcore” about it), my daughter (currently 22 months old), and my 85-lbs pooch. I also expect my Dad will want to join us from time to time, and when that happens it’ll be OK for the pooch to stay home.

Ideally I want something with a small cuddy cabin for a portapotty, kiddo naps, overnights, etc. The REVENGE line is definitely intriguing, but I don't know much about them or even whether they are light enough to be towed behind our 4Runner.

What do you think? Is there a Boston Whaler boat that could meet my needs?

Thanks,

~Alex

biggiefl

Re:A Whaler That Fits My Needs

Postby biggiefl » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:46 pm

In that budget there are plenty of 17-19' models that are relatively new. They will be towable, especially a 17' Montauk or Dauntless.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Re: A Whaler That Fits My Needs

Postby jimh » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:20 pm

AlexB wrote:The REVENGE line is definitely intriguing, but I don't know much about them or even whether they are light enough to be towed behind our 4Runner

The REVENGE Walk-Through models are great Boston Whaler designs with real cabins. There are three hull lengths: 20, 22, and 25. The older and odd-numbered REVENGE boats (the 19 and 21) really are not cabin boats. They just have a forward deck under which you can throw some gear.

Towing even a REVENGE 20 for any distance with a vehicle only rated for 5,000-lbs would be less than optimum. You could do it, but I think you will be right at maximum capacity or a bit over.

I towed my REVENGE 20 with a GMC Suburban rated at 7,000-lbs, and it was a very good rig. The 22-foot is basically the same boat only two feet longer. The 25-foot is wider and five feet longer. I own a REVENGE 22 Walk-Through Whaler Drive. This is a 24-foot 6-inch boat. I have trailered it extensively to the Atlantic Coast, to the Gulf of Mexico, and to all five Great Lakes, from my home port in southeast Michigan, many tens of thousands of highway miles. The REVENGE 22 W-T Whaler Drive and trailer are a load that is close to the 7,000-lbs rating of my GMC Suburban. I tow it slowly and carefully, and the trailer has four-wheel brakes.

REVENGE 22 Walk-Through Whaler Drive with Mills Flying Top, Windshield, and Side Curtains

I think towing will be your limiting factor. The towed weight is the combined weight of the trailer and the boat, and the rated weight must be reduced by any weight added to the towing vehicle other than the driver. When you add more two adults, an 80-lbs dog, and some gear to the tow vehicle, its tow rating probably decreases 500-lbs or more. A trailer will weight at least 500-lbs and probably more. So the real boat weight you can tow is more like 4,000-lbs. That has to include the engine, fuel, and all added gear. It is quite common that the "dry weight" of a hull will be doubled by time the boat is set up with an engine and necessary gear. On that basis, the boat you want should weigh less than 2,000-lbs as the dry hull weight

There are plenty of opportunities to buy nice classic-era (c.1980s) Boston Whaler boats for under $30,000.

Re-powering is expensive if you buy a new engine.

The principal factor that attracts everyone to a Boston Whaler is the enormous reserve buoyancy created by the double-bottom foam-filled hull construction. Boston Whaler boats just do not sink. They also have excellent residual value, and are easy to sell if you want to move to a different boat.

If you do not really need a hard forward deck and cabin, you can get an open cockpit boat like an OUTRAGE and rig it with a canvas forward shelter. This gives the boat a weather protected forward area that can be folded out of the way when not needed. However, canvas is not cheap.

Here are some examples of OUTRAGE models with the Wm. J. Mills & Co. weather canvas system:

OUTRAGE 22 with Forward Shelter, Windshield, Side Curtains, Aft Drop Curtain

OUTRAGE 18 with Forward Shelter, Windshield, Side Curtains, underway

OUTRAGE V-20 with Forward Shelter, Windshield, Side Curtains, Drop Curtain

quickenberger

Postby quickenberger » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:10 pm

This one might fit your needs and is already in California. The area under the bow is fairly roomy but not very high. Great place for the kiddo to play but not for adults to sit up in.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threa ... st-5191740

AlexB

Postby AlexB » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:27 pm

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I spent a good amount of time fishing off a buddy's classic Montauk 17 while I was in college. That thing was definitely a workhorse, but the minimalist seating arrangement and super low freeboard are not what I'm looking for at this point with a wife, toddler, and dog along for the ride.

I'm also intrigued by that Sentry with the custom (I guess?) pilot house, but it looks like it's got a really small "dance floor" in back for fishing. The cabin looks like it would get in the way if you're trying to cast, and it doesn't look like more than one or two people could confortably fish off the back. Neat looking boat for someone who only heads out solo or with one buddy, but maybe not the best for a family/fishing boat.

It's a bummer that those Revenge cuddy boats are probably too heavy for my tow vehicle.

quickenberger

Postby quickenberger » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:36 pm

Are you set on fiberglass? The weight restriction of your tow rig limits fiberglass but aluminum might be able to fit the bill. Aluminum is lighter, louder, and colder than fiberglass, and it doesn't ride quite as nicely. I have three kids under sux-years-old. I found that a boat without a pilothouse or enclosure really limits things up here in Alaska.

One boat manufacturer I'm starting to become fond of is Steiger Craft. Those boats are probably heavy for your needs, but their layout is great for fishing and has higher freeboard than Boston Whaler boats. There are not many Steiger Craft boats in the used market, and even used they are spendy.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:59 pm

AlexB wrote:It's a bummer that those Revenge cuddy boats are probably too heavy for my tow vehicle.

My REVENGE 22 Walk-Through Whaler Drive with a single 225-HP E-TEC on an E-Z-LOADER trailer ready to be hitched up and towed weighs 5,600-lbs. See complete details of how this weight was measured in

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/016667.html

The dry hull weight is only 2,600-lbs.

A REVENGE 20 is listed as having a dry hull weight of 2,150-lbs, or 450-lbs lighter. A reasonable estimate of total towed weight on a trailer would still be around 5,000-lbs, or right at the maximum towing weight for your vehicle.

AlexB

Postby AlexB » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:15 pm

quickenberger wrote:Are you set on fiberglass? The weight restriction of your tow rig limits fiberglass but aluminum might be able to fit the bill. Aluminum is lighter, louder, and colder than fiberglass, and it doesn't ride quite as nicely. I have three kids under sux-years-old. I found that a boat without a pilothouse or enclosure really limits things up here in Alaska.

One boat manufacturer I'm starting to become fond of is Steiger Craft. Those boats are probably heavy for your needs, but their layout is great for fishing and has higher freeboard than Boston Whaler boats. There are not many Steiger Craft boats in the used market, and even used they are spendy.

I'm definitely not set on fiberglass, but I don't see many (or any, really) welded aluminum boats with actual cabins within my budget. Most of the more modern, thicker, well-built aluminum boats have full windshields but only storage (if that) up front. I'm a little leery of the older and/or thinner aluminum boats as I've heard several stories of welds suddenly failing after years of pounding through chop.

If this were just going to be a fishing boat for me and a buddy or two I might consider something like a newer Bayrunner, but that doesn't strike me as a great family boat.

AlexB

Postby AlexB » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:16 pm

jimh wrote:My REVENGE 22 Walk-Through Whaler Drive with a single 225-HP E-TEC on an E-Z-LOADER trailer ready to be hitched up and towed weighs 5,600-lbs....

A REVENGE 20 is listed as having a dry hull weight of 2,150-lbs, or 450-lbs lighter. A reasonable estimate of total towed weight on a trailer would still be around 5,000-lbs, or right at the maximum towing weight for your vehicle.

Thanks, Jim. With that info it's safe to say the Revenge 20 and 22 are off the table.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:09 pm

[A Boston Whaler 205 EASTPORT boat] may work for you. See:
https://www.saltwatersportsman.com/boat ... -eastport/

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:34 am

Yes, a 205 EASTPORT is a smaller and lighter cabin boat. The problem will be to find one. That model was only in production for a few years.