Four Questions about Wiring Diagram, Switches

A conversation among Whalers
Eagle1499

Four Questions about Wiring Diagram, Switches

Postby Eagle1499 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:51 pm

Where I can get the wiring diagram for a Boston Whaler 2001 160 DAUNTLESS?

Where can I get all switches?

What are the wire colors and the correct terminals for the On-Off-On Navigation light switch?

This switch has seven terminals and controls the [lanterns for the sidelights and white all-round light].

jimh

Re: Wiring Diagram, Switches

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:40 am

Contact Boston Whaler to get a wiring diagram. It may already be on their website for downloading. Look under OWNER RESOURCES.

Contact a Boston Whaler dealer to buy replacement switches. Chose a dealer who understands parts, like Twin Cities Marine in Wisconsin.

Wire insulation color coding is given in an article in REFERENCE. Read

Marine Wiring Color Codes
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... rCode.html

The unusual and completely unintuitive wiring often used for control of navigation lighting on Boston Whaler boats is described in detail in a thread in SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL.

Read

Navigation Lamp Circuits Used on Newer Boston Whaler Boats
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4136

The article may explain the wiring on your boat. The article is very detailed and information. It requires careful reading for comprehension. It very likely will be enormously useful to you if read carefully.

If you need more advice about electrical circuits use SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL forum.

Phil T

Re: Four Questions about Wiring Diagram, Switches

Postby Phil T » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:02 pm

I found http://www.newwiremarine.com has a deep selection of switches to choose from.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:13 pm

Whether an exact replacement switch for the Boston Whaler boat’s switch that is the topic of this discussion can be obtained from the website mentioned above in PHIL’s reply remains to be demonstrated, but, in any case, the cited vendor appears to be a very reasonably-priced supplier of marine electrical hardware and looks quite useful.

Based on about 50-years of experience, I must stress that, among all things electrical and electronic, a switch is perhaps the most complicated device to order. The complication arises from the almost unlimited number of variations in the switch that can occur due to the many options available, and nowhere are there more options than in illuminated, multi-position, multi-pole switches.

As I cautioned earlier, the wiring used by Boston Whaler is very non-intuitive. Now I warn also that the switch configuration used is also uncommon. It relies on the switch itself having internal connections between switch positions. It is not an ordinary configuration.

Buying a replacement switch with what appears to be the same connections and wiring it to the existing wiring following wire insulation colors and terminal numbers will only result in the correct action if the replacement switch is truly identical in its internal switch action and connections.

Also, in today’s world of smartphones, take several close-up photographs of the existing switch wiring BEFORE removing the original switch.

rsantiago

Postby rsantiago » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:01 pm

Attached is the 2001 Dauntless 16 wiring diagram that came in Owner Supplement Manual for my 2001 Dauntless 16.

[Moderator's note: the attached image was very low resolution and was unreadable. Because there was no value to be obtained from the image, it has been removed. Please see a follow-on post for more information on the topic of wiring diagrams.]

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:50 am

As I said in my initial reply—Boston Whaler has extensive resources. You just have to look for them. It took about a minute to find this:

http://bostonwhaler.com.s3.amazonaws.co ... l-2006.pdf

If interested in an electrical schematic for a 160 DAUNTLESS, download the above PDF document. It contains the sought-after electrical system schematic diagram.