Trailer Winch, Boat Bow Eye

A conversation among Whalers
Papag

Trailer Winch, Boat Bow Eye

Postby Papag » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:03 pm

I have a 2003 130 [SPORT] and matching [E-Z-LOADER] trailer. August 29, 2020 was my first time out.

To get the boat to slide of the trailer was a struggle. [On the launch ramp] my truck's rear tires were partially submerged.

When I pulled the boat back in, the bow eye pulled right into the winch guard--they were touching each other--which seems wrong. Thought one was to be higher.

[Give me] suggestions.

jimh

Re: Trailer Winch, Boat Bow Eye; Bottom Paint Dissolves In Water

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:22 pm

I do not understand your nomenclature "winch guard." What is the "winch guard"?

Papag

Postby Papag » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:30 pm

The rubber roller at the end of the winch housing that touches the boat.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:54 pm

Papag wrote:The rubber roller at the end of the winch housing that touches the boat.

The winch drum or any part of the metal structure of the winch should never touch the hull of the boat.

I think you are trying to describe the bow rest or the bow stop. The bow rest or bow stop can take at least three forms: a Vee-shaped pad into which the bow stem will fit, or a large diameter tapered roller intended for the same purpose, or a pair of smaller rollers on a short frame with a pivot that does the same function. The bow stop pad or rollers can be a semi-hard rubber or polyethylene material.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:56 pm

Papag wrote:When I pulled the boat back in, the bow eye pulled right into the [bow stop]--they were touching each other--which seems wrong.

The proper arrangement for a boat when loaded unto its highway trailer is for the bow stem to be in contact with the bow rest.

Read my multiple part article in REFERENCE on TRAILERING to become more acquainted with the art:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/trailering/

In the first article, see Figure 5 for the relationship between the bow stem, the bow stop, and the winch.

Generally in order for the boat to slide off the trailer, the stern of the boat must be immersed into the water so that the hull form of the boat is displacing water and creating buoyancy. Once the hull form creates buoyancy the effective weight of the boat is reduced by the buoyant force. The friction between the hull and the trailer bunks will decrease due to the decrease in the effective weight of the boat. The bunks becoming wet will also reduce the friction. The boat should slide off the trailer with a minimum of additional pushing force or no additional pushing force.

Don SSDD

Re: Trailer Winch, Boat Bow Eye

Postby Don SSDD » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:27 am

Your boat and trailer may need to be realigned to make the boat easier to move off the trailer. Your boat should mostly float on almost to the bow stop.

Can you lower your bunks without risking the boat hitting the trailer frames or hitting the axle while travelling? Lower it as much as possible and then when you are launching, when you back in at the ramp, your trailer will be closer to floating and easier to load and unload.

After lowering the bunks, move your bow stop so that it meets the bow of you boat in the correct place.

Another factor could be your tow vehicle has a very short overhang from your rear axle to your rear bumper. You may have to back up further or get an extension for your trailer hitch.
1986 Outrage 18 with 2001 Honda 130 HP
Former Owner 1991 Guardian 19 with 1994 Evinrude V4 140HP
Former owner 1987 Montauk with 1998 Mercury 90HP
Nova Scotia