Removing Bottom Paint

A conversation among Whalers
Papag

Removing Bottom Paint

Postby Papag » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:41 pm

I bought a 2003 130 SPORT. The hull is painted with anti-fouling paint and the boat was docked in ocean in 2019 and 2020.

The anti-fouling paint appears to be wearing off. I was told that anti-fouling paints needs to be repainted annually.

Is it possible to return the boat to an all-white gloss like the upper half of the exterior?

Or, do I need to plan on an annual paint job?

I looked for information to [remove bottom paint] but did not find [any information on removing bottom paint].

The boat will be trailered and washed down after each use.

jimh

Re: Removing Bottom Paint

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:40 pm

Bottom paint can be removed, but the job may be laborious, dirty, and difficult.

Papag wrote:I looked for information to [remove bottom paint] but did not find [any information on removing bottom paint].

Here is a link over 500 prior discussions on CONTINUOUSWAVE whose topic mentions bottom paint:

SEARCH RESULT LINK

The above search was generated from this SEARCH page:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/oldForum/

You can also search the new forum with this LINK.

That search finds 39 results.

I think the topic of removing bottom paint has been discussed quite often. After you read the prior discussions, I think you will have a good idea about various methods to remove bottom paint. You are certainly not the first person to inquire about this process.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:45 am

Depends on how the paint was put on in the first place. If they did not etch or sand the hull prior to painting it, it will come off. You are supposed to put a barrier coat down first, if white is showing, then they most likely did not do a good job and it may be a much easier job to remove and make shiny again.

2nd...there are 2 types of bottom paint for the most part. Albative and regular. Albative will wear away and needs to be painted regularly. Many will use 2 different colored paints so when you start seeing a different color, it is time for a new coat or 2. Regular bottom paint does not wear off per say and is much harder. This type of paint is usually sanded between coats to maintain buildup. This type of paint usually has a lifespan of effectiveness and although it looks good, it will not be effective. Most you have to keep the boat in the water or it becomes ineffective as well.

3rd...I would say you have 3 choices. Leave as is, remove a spot and see if you want to go further, Repaint it so it looks nice and enjoy.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

Papag

Postby Papag » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:22 am

Thanks all. They used ablative paint. Guess that's the reason I'll see some paint color in the water when I launch it.