Labor Day Weekend Launch Ramp Stories

A conversation among Whalers
Papag

Labor Day Weekend Launch Ramp Stories

Postby Papag » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:42 pm

This being labor day weekend and weather in the mid-70's and sunny, all local ramps are busy. Tried 3 so far this weekend and each one has been an experience.

First one was in a lake and the environmental police were there checking for "clean" boats (not ocean debris). I failed, pulled to the side and used vinegar and water to rid the boat of stuff not acceptable. Passed and then allowed to boat.

Second one was at a different lake with a steep launch ramp (in my mind, the steepest driveway in a lifetime). Took me 23 minutes (timed it) to go down after countless turns and going forward to straighten out and back again.

Today, went to the ocean and it was a real experience. The launch/ramp was almost directly off the street and required a turn and straightening out. It took a while to get the boat in. While I was going back and forth to get to the water a guy waiting was visibly frustrated and yelled to come back when I know what the H*ll I'm doing. My wife was by the dock and guiding me back and heard him. She immediately yelled back to shut up and wait your turn. So, got the boat in, pulled away and to my pleasure the guy had a flat trailer tire. Smiled and pointed to it. He was less than happy.

And now, just spent 1 hour at a local parking lot practicing back up. More to come.

jimh

Re: Labor Day Weekend Launch Ramp Stories

Postby jimh » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:32 am

[Updated]
This weekend at Northport, Grand Traverse Bay, Lake Michigan:

Saturday: a beautiful day; ramp parking full. Many boats underway enjoying light winds and small seas. Air temperature 68-degrees. Dozens of reckless jet skis going by at high speeds far too close to shore where there are often swimmers in the water.

Sunday: gale force SSE wind and very rough; ramp parking empty. Only one boat seen underway, making very slow progress into head seas. Air temperature 74-degrees. Bay open to SSE with 25-mile fetch.

Monday: cold front has passed; wind backing to NNE at 20 to 25. Air temperature low 60’s. Overcast. No boating activity observed. Wave height less than one foot due to being in the shelter of the bay. At the ramp all activities were loading boats on trailer for end of boating season. As one fellow remarked, “The party’s over.”

My boating: the boat was on the trailer all weekend. There are too many slob boaters out boating on Labor Day weekends. I generally never go boating on weekends, but particularly not on Labor Day weekend.

Late Monday the sun came out and I gave the foredeck a good scrubbing—which was badly needed.

A 13-foot Boston Whaler was the only boat seen inshore.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:48 pm

Pay for a private launch at Dauphin Island. No problems.

The west-end boat anchoring attempts were incredible to watch.

superdave_gv

Postby superdave_gv » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:17 am

Saturday and Sunday afternoon launches at public Lake Rabun, Georgia, ramps were very pleasant and not crowded. Plenty of room and time allowed for mutual admiration of boats and polite small talk in passing.

The marina required masks inside and compliance was 100%. Masks not required while launching or refueling.

Temperature 80-degrees or less depending on the passing clouds.

Lake traffic was above average for a summer weekend but less than some past holidays. Respectful and observant captains across the board.

Boat observations: Mastercrafts (modern wakeboard models and vintage ski), Whalers from most decades (13, 15, 17), a few vintage wooden Chris Crafts, various pontoons, and jet ski riders ranged from mother and infant to three teenagers to solo wake jumpers.

We anchored and swam one of the days. Felt very fortunate.

MarkCz

Postby MarkCz » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:27 am

Only good experiences at the Belmar municipal marina boat ramp in NJ on Saturday of Labor day weekend. That ramp is laid out very well with pretty wide lanes and a nice area where you can pull forward to straighten out your vehicle and trailer to get them straight before backing down. I like that ramp.

hauptjm

Postby hauptjm » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:26 am

Everyone has had some interesting stories at the boat launch over the years. I feel bad for the folks that have difficulty maneuvering trailers because they are under the watchful eye of spectators that probably are worse than the boater - you never see these critics backing up anything more than a 12 ounce can of swill. This makes the boater more nervous, which complicates his/her efforts.

With that said, I wish the newer boaters would take the time to practice this craft at a location away from watchful eyes and other boaters that are trying to keep the lanes flowing. It is very frustrating to watch and wait for someone to perform a task that should not take more than a minute or two. Papag stated that he took 23 minutes to get his trailer in a position to retrieve his boat. I'm sorry to say, that I 'm not surprised that this frustrated other boaters in the area. I would have been beside myself watching this.

I know some ramps are more accommodating in their layout for a faster retrieval, but 23 minutes is simply not acceptable. If it truly took that long to back up a trailer, then you need to use another location to learn how to do it correctly. It's not other boaters responsibility to "remain patient" while you use this time to teach yourself a new talent. Please understand, I'm not trying to justify boorish behavior, but everyone deserves to be reasonably accommodated.

Jimh, this may be an opportunity to provide resources for trailering instructions. I don't think I have seen anything other than internet sites from RV companies on how to back down a trailer. Maybe there's a cottage industry in the making.

I should add: if you only have a small/restrictive launch available for your use, it may benefit you to become a spectator yourself and watch what other more successful drivers are doing to mitigate the cramp spaces in which they are maneuvering. There is no need to reinvent the wheel, if they can position their trailer properly in a minute or two, then simply copy what they are doing.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:30 pm

Agreed...23 mins? I would have lost my shirt if I had to wait that long for somebody.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:56 pm

Re offering advice about backing up:

I know how to do it but I am not sure I could offer instructions. I have been backing up a boat trailer so long that the action of doing it is just automatic for me.

Backing up a short trailer is harder than backing a long trailer. Backing up with a short wheelbase vehicle is harder than with a long wheelbase vehicle. My Suburban has a long wheelbase and I have a long trailer. Backing up is not very hard.

Backing up an empty boat trailer is harder than a trailer with the boat loaded because often you cannot see the trailer in the rear view mirrors. Adding tall white PVC guide posts that are intended to be helpful in loading the boat onto the trailer also make backing an unloaded trailer easier because you can always see those tall white posts in the mirrors.

At my ramp the parking is shared with general parking for the marina users. The parking lot is a long oval with one-way traffic. A boat trailer being backed toward the ramp blocks all traffic. If someone took 23-minutes trying to back up they would essentially block all cars from exiting the parking lot for 23-minutes—not just one other boater “waiting his turn.”

As far as having your wife shoot back a snooty reply to someone waiting 23-minutes for you to back down the ramp, I offer some caution. Most men won’t come over and confront a woman giving them some sass, but you are taking your chances. People get irrational at boat ramps.

I’d suggest you just smile, wave, and say something like, “I am very sorry this is taking so long—we are just learning.”

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:06 pm

I have had men get in the water to give me a bit of help with getting the boat on the trailer. They were next in line and it was in the self interest to get me out of the way. Another time I had a nice man stand in front of the truck and use hand signals to indicate which way to steer and when to stop to correct my steering. There was no line and he was just sharing his backing skills.

I found both of these events terribly embarrassing but soon got over it and was grateful for the help. What made my poor backing skills difficult for me to understand is that I had spent a good amount of time driving and backing Army tractors pulling lowboy trailers with wide loads such as bulldozers. Of course the tractors were relatively short wheel base vehicles and the trailers were long with the wheels very near the rear. Plus, it was several decades earlier in my life.
Butch

Mambo Minnow

Postby Mambo Minnow » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:29 pm

I decided to take the Tuesday after Labor Day off for a 4 day weekend. I went to the dry stack marina to launch my boat and we had the place to ourselves. The ramps in FL since springtime have been overflowing so I put the boat in a marina for the summer to avoid all the ramp drama.