Lack of New Boston Whaler Inventory

A conversation among Whalers
Jefecinco

Lack of New Boston Whaler Inventory

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:28 am

Yesterday as we drove past the MarineMax dealer in Gulf Shores, AL I saw only one new Boston Whaler on display. It had four engines and was, I believe, a 2021 380 Realm. I would have stopped to look over the boat but it was raining. The only other new boats on display were four Grady Whites that I believe I have seen there in the recent past.

It's pretty difficult to sell boats you don't have. I wonder if this is an isolated situation. The Gulf Shores MarineMax is part of the much larger Pensacola, FL store. We were planning a visit to Pensacola next week but the rain chance is now 80% based on the approaching tropical storm so the opportunity to check the inventory there is on hold.
Butch

ConB

Re: Lack of New Boston Whaler Inventory

Postby ConB » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:37 am

Butch, your Gulf Shores Marinemax was 1/3 full of pontoon boats last winter. Are those all gone too?

Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

Mambo Minnow

Postby Mambo Minnow » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:24 pm

The pandemic has created a demand surge for new boats as a socially distant recreation for families to get outside. NMMA is having one of their best years in decades, which may be counter-intuitive with the economy shut down.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:58 am

Yes, it's all very strange. I didn't notice any pontoon boats on display but wasn't looking for any. They were probably sold. There is a "pontoon boat store" farther North on Hwy 59 and they are doing a booming business. I'm guessing that one in four boats going past the house are pontoons. So the pontoon boat store is competing directly with MarineMax. The seem to specialize in price-point boats but also sell high end tritoons with twin and triple engines. They are a Suzuki dealer and most of their boats have Zukes hanging on the backs. Suzukis are becoming far more popular and that helps the pontoon store compete on price for comparable boats.
Butch