Total loss of our Boston Whaler Nauset

A conversation among Whalers
Clarinet28

Total loss of our Boston Whaler Nauset

Postby Clarinet28 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:02 am

We had been restoring our 1967 Nauset over the past several years. A devastating fire at the Woodland Marina rack storage located on the Mississippi River northwest of the St. Louis Metro area on October 7, 2020 destroyed some 120 boats, including ours.

Jefecinco

Re: Total loss of our Boston Whaler Nauset

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:51 am

What a shame. Hope you had "agreed value" coverage.
Butch

kwik_wurk

Postby kwik_wurk » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:40 pm

That stinks, and dealing with the insurance is time consuming.

Clarinet28

Postby Clarinet28 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:29 pm

FYI, our Nauset was insured by BoatUS/Geico Marine Insurance. Local marine surveyor was sent to marina to investigate what might have remained of our BW, and perhaps others similarly insured. Obviously nothing remained. After filing requested paperwork, received a check for the “Agreed Upon Value”.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:02 am

Six weeks seems a little long to receive a settlement check but perhaps that's the normal time required for a survey, etc. to take place.

Having an "Agreed Value" policy is valuable for an old classic boat. This is a lesson all owners of "classic" boats can learn from.
Butch

R DAVIS

Postby R DAVIS » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:46 pm

I have a very clean 1982 Sport 15 with a 1983 Johnson 50 HP with aftermarket (CMC) power tilt / trim. It's insured with Progressive (through Worldwide Marine Underwriters). On their advice, when I bought the boat I insured it for an agreed value of $10K.

Last week I destroyed the lower unit and SS propeller backing off a sandbar and hitting some really solid submerged object. I called Progressive and was surprised to have an adjuster call me back the same day. She quickly took my report and assigned an estimator to look at the boat.

I really wanted the motor repaired and would have been happy with that. The estimator tried his best to locate parts, a used or reconditioned lower unit, but could find none. So he totaled the entire boat. They very promptly paid me the $10K less salvage value of $725 and let me keep the boat with no change of title work. I have 0 deductible having been with them over 5 years so they paid me $9,275. I have now purchased a brand new 2020 Tohatsu 60 HP 4 stroke which will be installed (I hope before the holidays). for an installed out the door price of $9,100. I came out smelling like a rose and decided to add a jackplate at my expense.

I must admit I was somewhat apprehensive about the claim, but it was handled quickly, fairly, and everything was clearly explained.
I was afraid they would send out Flo (as seen so often on TV). I asked if they could assign the cute little blonde in the "lets hide behind the chainsaws" commercial, but alas, they said they couldn't do that.

Agreed Value saved me. I plan to reinsure it for $10K after sending them documentation of the new motor. The underwriter said that wouldn't be a problem.

MikeF1

Postby MikeF1 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:28 am

We had our 1982 Montauk 17 and 1998 Merc 115 insured for an agreed upon value of $10,000 with Progressive. During Hurricane Isaias, waves came over transom and the pump couldn't keep up. The 22 gallon fuel tank under RPS floated and gauge/cap broke and water (apparently, salt water according to the mechanic) entered the tank. We notified Progressive right away, just in case. I didn't realize there was a problem until running the boat several days later and finding the engine not quite right - hard to start and occasional misses. The mechanic found water in the fuel, got rid if it, cleaned all the carbs, etc. The bill was about $1400 and we submitted it to Progressive. After a bit of red tape, they totaled the boat for the agreed upon value. Apparently, they didn't want to deal with potential future claims. We bought the now-running boat back for $1700 and paid the mechanic and ran the boat for the rest of the summer. We then used the left over money to re-power with a new Merc 115 4 stroke. While the old engine ran, it was making some funny sounds and had been nickel and diming us with relatively minor problems. A band new motor for about $4K out of pocket? Had to do it. We picked up the boat last week and will wait until Spring before trying her out. Progressive will completely re-insure the boat again. It was a win-win.