Suspicious HIN Plate

A conversation among Whalers
cgodfrey

Suspicious HIN Plate

Postby cgodfrey » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:17 am

What appears to be an Outrage 24 is on display for sale near me. This boat has been for sale locally for several years.

My own brief, non-expert, visual inspection tells me this boat is in below-average condition. Reliable sources tell me the foam is very saturated, and should be considered a project at best. Less reliable sources have suggested it's a hurricane damaged boat with a checkered history, and to avoid.

This HIN plate on the back seems highly suspicious. I've never, seen a HIN plate quite like this, attached with basic fasteners, which is why I'm willing to question this boat's provenance as well.

Give an opinions:

IMG_4965.jpeg
IMG_4965.jpeg (72.43 KiB) Viewed 2362 times
Chris Godfrey
Minneapolis, MN
CW'er since 2005
1963 13' Sport, 1970 16' Katama

Jefecinco

Re: Suspicious HIN Plate

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:28 am

Reliable sources are often not quite as reliable as they may seem. Is the opinion that the foam is saturated based upon testing by the source? The only reliable way to know how much water content a Boston Whaler boat may contain is to weigh it and compare the weight to the weight in Boston Whalers Specification data.

Many used Boston Whaler boats have some water in the hull. The amount is usually so little as to pose no consequential additional weight to the boat. The "water in the foam" problem is often grossly exaggerated.

If you are interested in buying the boat consulting with a qualified marine surveyor should provide reliable information on the condition of the boat. Before spending the money for a surveyor you may want to conduct an initial inspection to satisfy yourself that the boat is worth that extra expense.

Is the boat located in Minnesota where your profile indicates you live? If so, that may cast some doubt that the boat suffered hurricane damage.

An HIN plate added to a hull is not by itself a reason to question a boat's provenance. Due to age or other factors factory HINs are often difficult to read or in difficult to reach locations. An HIN plate may be added by an owner for convenience or to comply with local regulations for boat registration or titling. If the boat has a valid title with an HIN matching the HIN on the attached plate that is evidence the plate is accurate. If you are considering buying the boat the number can be verified during an initial inspection.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:57 am

The HIN ending in two digits encodes either the model year or production year, depending on format. Because the two digits are 95 the year is clearly 1995. But this creates a HUGE conflict. The HIN for a 1995 boat was never permitted to be attached with a metal tag; the HIN has to be molded into the hull. Use of metal tags was not permitted. There is no doubt that the fancy metal tag was NEVER original. But a replacement tag like that should not have been necessary because the original HIN was molded into the hull and should still be there.

frontier

Postby frontier » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:07 am

Are you sure the boat is a Boston Whaler? The green paint or gel coat is a red flag. Can you post a picture of the whole boat?

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:27 am

A poor aftermarket HIN plate is, in my opinion, a sign of the prior owner’s lack of fastidiousness.

Find another candidate.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:46 am

A 25 year old boat may have had more than one previous owner. We don't know when the poor aftermarket HIN plate was attached. I don't believe it is a cause for alarm but as with the purchase of any boat a very careful inspection and survey is warranted.

Cgodfrey infers he is interested in purchasing the boat but has not verified that to be the case. He may just be curious about the boat's provenance.
Butch