SPECIALTY MARINE Wood Kit for SOURPUSS

A conversation among Whalers
razadazza

SPECIALTY MARINE Wood Kit for SOURPUSS

Postby razadazza » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:30 pm

Hello. I bought [a 1981–ALWAYS USE FOUR DIGITS FOR YEARS—THIS IS A RULE ON THIS FORUM AND IS MENTIONED IN THE POSTING GUIDES] [SPORT 13] that needs the wood and a bunch of other stuff replaced. I like the design of the [SOURPUSS]

Q1: does the kit from Specialty Marine work?

[I have] the stainless [steel] railing. The steering cable seems to be long enough.

Thanks

Phil T

Re: Does the kit from SPECIALTY MARINE work to make a SOURPUSS?

Postby Phil T » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:25 am

While it may work, many owners have had poor experiences with Specialty Marine's products. Decent quality mahogany materials are expensive.

There is a cabinet maker in Massachussets whom owners recommend for replacement wooden parts and interiors, Bob Latourelle @ 978-837-8808
https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/d/boston-whaler-mahogany-wood-consoles/7216034818.html#
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

biggiefl

Re: Does the kit from SPECIALTY MARINE work to make a SOURPUSS?

Postby biggiefl » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:36 am

I disagree on their wood. I bought a front hatch from them and it is very nicely made.

What exactly are you buying to make it a sourpuss? The center steering console, the wraparound rail and backrest, or both?
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

razadazza

Re: SPECIALTY MARINE Wood Kit for SOURPUSS

Postby razadazza » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:16 am

Thanks for the replies. Since all the wood is to be replaced , I thought maybe I should buy the [SOURPUSS] kit. I think the style would fit my needs better, if the console and backrest fit.

[The boat] already [has] the rail that goes around the backrest.

I could order the bow hatch and check the quality before getting the whole kit.

I am new to Boston Whaler boats. I appreciate the help.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:32 pm

I am currently installing Specialty Marine's 13' Super Sport wood interior kit and side railings on a friends boat. To my surprise, the wood and varnish work is very nice as well as their side railing and fastener pkg. I would have no problem personally using their products

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:56 pm

Marcus--check back with us in a year and let us know its condition.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:36 am

Marcus--what sort of wood is in the kit? Is it solid or plywood? Is the wood teak of mahogany?
Butch

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:34 pm

I believe it is African Mahogany based on grain and color. It looks nice and varnish had only a couple of "holidays" that I will wet sand.

razadazza

Postby razadazza » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:30 pm

[The wood in the SPECIALTY MARINE Wood Kit is] purported to be solid, not plywood. But really, how do you tell? If the wood isn't obviously plywood, then, with the right stain and poly, it could be pine.

Two years later its mush.

I'm more undecided then ever. I think I'll source some wood myself and dust off the jigsaw. I've got patterns, how hard could it be?

Thanks.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:51 am

[The wood in the SPECIALTY MARINE wood kit I have purchased] is solid Mahogany.

I drove to Oceanside and personally looked at [the wood from the SPECIALTY MARINE wood kit], then brought home [the wood], and I compared it to the wood in my SOURPUSS. When I am done installing this interior, I will post some pictures [to show the wood from the SPECIALTY MARINE wood kit to] all the naysayers.

rtk

Postby rtk » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:17 pm

Phil T: Have you ever purchased a product and utilized a product for more than a year from Specialty Marine? Simple yes or no will do. Not terribly interested in the "data" you have accumulated from a limited, biased sampling.

Have you purchased a Boston Whaler reproduction wood product from the gentleman from Massachusetts? Looks like he does amazing work. Interested in your actual experience with the offered product.

Specialty Marine is an exceptional business entity to deal with. First and foremost their customer service is excellent. Their product inventory offering is excellent.

The solid mahogany is not plywood. How do you tell? Look at the end grain. If you need instruction beyond that then please refrain from adding nonsense about their solid mahogany product being cheap plywood. It's obvious you do not know what you speak. The original Boston Whaler consoles were plywood. Specialty Marine offerings are not any different in construction material than the original Boston Whaler design.

I have received a rear seat kit, varnished, for a classic 1966 16, front seat kit, varnished for a classic 1966 16, the rail fittings kit for a classic 16 (OEM/Boston Whaler fittings were garbage- literally disintegrate- crappiest pot metal ever made), various other classic 16 parts; most recently a reproduction RPS with the 18" legs and teak back that is an exceptionally well made piece of marine seating.

It is installed on a 20' 1983 MAKO center console with a Moeller white 22 gallon Boston Whaler fuel tank under it. With the white legs it is a match made in heaven. The Specialty Marine RPS is exceptionally well made, the varnished teak back is beautiful, the upholstery work is excellent.

The stainless fittings I have received from Specialty Marine did not instantaneously rust like some say- they didn't rust at all.

The varnished product comes with 4 coats of varnish I believe. For marine brightwork a minimum of 8 coats is recommended for longevity. Throw another 4 coats of varnish on the Specialty Marine mahogany products, keep it covered from the sun and you'll have a product that will last for years and years.

The Specialty Marine offerings are an exceptional product at an exceptional price point. I feel lucky that a company took the extreme effort to make these exceptional products available for our very fine Boston Whaler boats.

Boston Whaler didn't do it. Specialty Marine did.

Rich

razadazza

Postby razadazza » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:49 am

This [discussion thread] has been a tremendous help for me. Thanks to all for the replies.

I bought [the 1981 SPORT 13 boat] hoping there would be an excellent online old Boston Whaler community, and I was right.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:05 am

Rich,

Not nit picking but did you review your post before submitting? You seem to offer some conflicting information.

I can't speak to earlier models but our original 1981 Sport 13 wood is solid and not plywood as you indicate. The railing stanchions are not pot metal and have lasted almost 40 years in a salt water environment without damage other than the chrome finish wearing through in places.

I appreciate the tip on needing eight coats of varnish on the boat's furniture.

I have read conflicting reviews on Specialty Marine's products on this and other boating oriented web sites. We need to keep in mind that a disappointed customer is more inclined to post negative comments than is a satisfied customer.

There is no need to criticize a member posting a less than positive opinion on a product with which you have had positive results. That's what we do here, provide our opinions. It's up to the reader to determine the value of the opinions expressed.
Butch

razadazza

Postby razadazza » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:00 pm

I'm still wondering if the SOURPUSS kit will work in the SPORT hull. It seems like it would.

Give me any thoughts.

Thanks

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:15 am

All the classic 13-foot models use the same hull. The changes from model to model are the interior components.

rtk

Postby rtk » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:10 pm

Hello Butch,

I sincerely appreciate your response. Yes I agree that open opinions about products are crucial to our marketplace. An informed decision is invaluable.

I have read quite a few comments over the years about the quality of Specialty Marine products. There were comments made by some in this thread about the lack of quality of their product. I am a factual data driven type of guy. My pointed questions to those individuals were made in an attempt to accumulate factual data on a product they professed to have vast and intimate knowledge of. Vast and intimate to the point of making very specific comments on a quality of product. I am merely asking those individuals to post the actual factual data they have to support the negative determination on the quality of Specialty Marine products.

My purpose is to call out those whom choose to sit back and criticize business entities such as Specialty Marine without having a clue about their products.

It's just not right.

Rich

goldstem

Postby goldstem » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:18 am

I purchased a super sport side console for a sport 13 a number of years ago. It did not assembly particularly well, but we did put it into service.
Within a few years the top piece warped badly, although we left it in use until just this year, when I replaced just that top board with the
same piece from the original we had taken out of service. I suppose for the money it was a fair deal, but based on my own experience, I cannot recommend them.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:16 am

Rich -

My contribution to this forum is to share information I have learned directly or learned from Boston Whaler owners and suppliers of products used by owners. I try not to inject my opinions. This is why I write "owners have found...." or "owners have reported ....".

I have read practically every post, every day, on this board as well as 2 other boards for over 15 years.

I can recall at least a dozen members here and on the other boards who were totally livid on the crap wood quality and/or cushions that fell apart or got damaged easily.

These reports are an indicator the product quality is questionable.

Let's not kid ourselves, these products are not cheap and owners are saving up to purchase these items and expect them to last a long time.

There are established vendors who are small businesses who produce high quality products of "whaler quality" and charge only slightly higher prices. The negative reports are few.

When the numbers of disappointed members reporting problems with a vendor rises or falls significantly, I will revise my comments on that vendor.

I am glad you have had a positive experience with Specialty.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

fno

Postby fno » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:30 pm

Phil, you posted earlier a link to another source of wood on Craigslist and it was a dead link. Do you any additional contacts for this source other than the craigslist listing? Thanks in advance.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:28 pm

Hi Frank -

It's Bob Latourelle at 978.837.8808 in Haverhill, MA. He is a bit old school, no website, just Craigslist advert posts.

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/d/boston-whaler-mahogany-wood-consoles/7226667040.html

Hope you are well.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

fno

Postby fno » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:44 pm

Doing well so far. Thanks for the contact info.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:43 pm

Re sources for replacement wood products for older Boston Whaler boats: there have been several vendors who have been in the business of providing replacement wood parts. Some operated as at-home in-the-workshop type businesses. All of these seem to eventually cease operation. The quality of the work was usually not in question, but delivery times were often erratic and very slow. The vendor under discussion here has received mixed reviews regarding the quality of the wood provided. There have not been complaints about delivery times.

For decades I used the services of a custom carpentry shop. At the door they had some advice for the customer:

GOOD--CHEAP--FAST: pick two.