1990 NEWPORT Purchase

A conversation among Whalers
tarawa

1990 NEWPORT Purchase

Postby tarawa » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:40 am

I am contemplating on purchasing my first Boston Whaler boat, a 1990 NEWPORT with a 1998 Evinrude. The NEWPORT has a poling platform on the stern and some bottom paint. I won’t see the boat in person for a few days.

Give me a checklist of things that may go wrong on a Newport.

I have already asked about soft spots. I have always liked this mode[l]. I don’t want emotions to get in the way.

Thanks--Geo

biggiefl

Re: 1990 NEWPORT Purchase

Postby biggiefl » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:47 am

Its all about condition. Make sure engine compression is good and no water in the lower unit oil.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:18 pm

I don't think there is anything in particular about a NEWPORT that requires a specialized list of items to check. The REFERENCE section already contains very well written articles on the topics of buying a classic Boston Whaler boat, assessing used outboard engines, and proper trailer set up.

Twenty years ago I wrote an article offering advice for purchasing used Boston Whaler boats. I don't think anything has changed in the last twenty years that would make the information in that article obsolete. See

Buying Classic Boston Whaler Boats
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/buying.html

Fifteen years ago I wrote an article offering advice for purchasing used outboard engines. I don't think anything has changed in the last fifteen years that would make the information in that article obsolete. See

Assessing Used Outboard Engines
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... Check.html

Twenty years ago I began a series of articles on the topic of trailers for Boston Whaler boats. The information in those several articles will be useful for you. See

Trailering
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/trailering/

I can also offer this advice for

Assesing Used Boat Trailers
Locate, inspect, or determine the following on a used boat trailer:
  • the manufacturer's name; determine if they are still in business
  • the exact model designator for the trailer; this is useful in communicating with the manufacturer
  • locate the manufacturer's sticker on the trailer that gives
    • the VIN; this will be essential for communicating with the manufacturer and for registering the trailer with a state registration agency
    • the capacity or the maximum gross vehicle weight rating
    • the date of manufactuer
  • visually inspect the trailer for signs of corrosion and obvious signs of oil or grease being thrown from the wheel bearings
  • examine the integrity of the winch, particularly the winch strap and eye
  • verify the trailer is registered and has a license plate; if not registered and licensed, look for a manufacturer's certificate or origin which may be needed to register the trailer
  • check the jack stand for rust or decay
  • verify the trailer lighting system works and has a suitable connector; most small trailers use a Flat-Four connector
  • verify there are hold-down mechanism that retain the trailer under the boat
  • check the tire size, type, load rating, and speed rating; also verify proper inflation has been maintained
  • measure and verify proper tongue weight.

Extensive restoration of a used trailer in poor condition can often entail many new component purchases at retail. Creating a road-worthy trailer from a poor condition trailer may end up costing almost as much as a new trailer.

tarawa

Postby tarawa » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:29 pm

Great articles. Thank you.