1987 27 FULL CABIN with Inboard Engines

A conversation among Whalers
HdrewesIII

1987 27 FULL CABIN with Inboard Engines

Postby HdrewesIII » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:45 pm

I may buy a 1987 FULL CABIN model with inboard engines. Please tell me what components on a 1987 27 FULL CABIN boat [ should be closely assessed before purchase]. My Whaler experience is an SUPER SPORT 13 and an OUTRAGE 18, both late 80's vintage.

[Moved to THE GAM for discussion. Please do not post to the forum Introduction to the Forum Software with boating topics. The forum Introduction to the Forum Software is NOT a boating forum, and is used to discuss the forum software in detail for users who need further help in using the forum.--Moderator]

jimh

Re: 1987 27 FULL CABIN with Inboard Engines

Postby jimh » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:36 am

Does the 1987 27 FULL CABIN really have twin inboard engines with propeller shafts and rudders?

It is important that you clarify the propulsion system on this boat. No one can really offer any advice about the propulsion system until you give us more details. We need to know the exact configuration: inboard, sterndrive, or outboard, and the horsepower, manufacturer, and model of the engines.

Before buying any used boat, a sea trial is very important. A sea trial should establish the boat's top speed, its fuel economy, and its general handling characteristics.

jimh

Re: 1987 27 FULL CABIN with Inboard Engines

Postby jimh » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:55 am

If considering purchase of a 1987 27 FULL CABIN boat, the most important element to give close attention is the Unibond hull. In this regard, there is nothing special about a 1987 27 FULL CABIN boat, as ANY used, older Boston Whaler boat has a Unibond hull, and the integrity of the hull is the paramount concern.

For more advice about general considerations when buying a classic-era Boston Whaler boat, see my article

Buying Classic Boston Whaler Boats
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/buying.html