Automatic Latch to Trailer for Boat Tow Eye

A conversation among Whalers
R DAVIS

Automatic Latch to Trailer for Boat Tow Eye

Postby R DAVIS » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:50 am

Give me information for an automatic boat-to-trailer latch similar to the DROTTO or RAMP-N-CLAMP prodcuts that will work with the bow eye on a 1983 Sport 15.

BACKSTORY: I've seen [automatic latching devices that] appear to only work with a U-shape bow eye. I know Boat Buddy is no longer in production and don't know if it would fit. I want to be able to just pull the [SPORT 15] onto the trailer and have it latch automatically.

I currently keep power on and enginer in gear to [push and] hold the boat in position. Then I go forward and attach a rope between boat and trailer. That method is a dangerous, and I'm not comfortable doing that.

I usually boat alone and use fairly steep ramps. I need a safer way to load the boat onto the trailer. I'm not interested in any kind of ladder. I am 74-years-old, and I don't care to climb around. I always pull up close to the dock so I can just hop out of the boat and onto the dock when finished.

jimh

Re: Automatic Latch to Trailer for Boat Bow Eye

Postby jimh » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:23 pm

Give me information for an automatic boat-to-trailer latch similar to the DROTTO or RAMP-N-CLAMP products that will work with the bow eye on a 1983 Sport 15.
I infer the present bow eye on the SPORT 15 will not work with the products. Change the bow eye on the SPORT 15 to the type needed to work with the devices you mention. Buy one of those products

--or--

Get tall PVC guide posts on the rear of the trailer to help align the boat on the trailer for final loading.

Loading procedure:
  • Bring boat to courtesy dock and tie off;
  • get off boat onto courtesy dock
  • drive truck and trailer to ramp served by the courtesy dock
  • unwind winch strap to sufficient length to be able to reach to the boat bow eye from the position you have put the trailer on the ramp
  • attach winch strap hook to pole
  • use pole to position hook onto bow eye
  • return to winch and take up slack
  • return to dock and cast off boat
  • return to trailer and winch boat onto trailer; guides will assist in centering boat.

I use this procedure with my boat, except I pre-position the boat in a loading position above the mostly submerged trailer using dock lines; then I wade into the water a few feet to connect the winch strap hook to the bow eye rather than fiddle with a pole. I am almost your age: I am 70-years-old. I am very careful when walking on the ramp because it can be slippery. I wear CROCS footwear, which gives a good grip, and I hang on to the trailer and then the boat when wading in. Usually I only have to wade into the water to just below knee height. At some point, I may switch over to using a pole to attach the trailer winch strap hook to the boat bow eye.

Phil T

Re: Automatic Latch to Trailer for Boat Tow Eye

Postby Phil T » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:32 pm

Forgoing commentary on the pros or cons of the loading techniques outlined above, I would have an experienced welder weld an eye and the necessary base material to the end of a new stainless steel rod and install it in lieu of the existing eye.

- or -

Replace current eye with:
https://www.suncorstainless.com/heavy-duty-special-eye-bolt
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003