New, Unused E-TEC Engines For Sale

A conversation among Whalers
Oldslowandugly

New, Unused E-TEC Engines For Sale

Postby Oldslowandugly » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:28 pm

Can a [new, unused] E-TEC still be bought?

Phil T

Re: New, Unused E-TEC Engines For Sale

Postby Phil T » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:46 pm

Highly doubt there are E-TEC engines left at any local dealers.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:15 am

There is no method for customers to know the inventory of all dealers. As Phil speculates, most dealers have very little inventory of unsold new engines. E-TEC manufacturing stopped around May 2020.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:47 am

Many dealers, especially in the Northern US, are busy this winter servicing engines and performing off season repairs, and they fail to respond to email. A telephone call is usually a better choice.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:21 am

To echo Butch's comments, the last time I spoke with my local Evinrude dealer, he said they have been "insanely busy" this year, probably a result of many people using their boats more than normal due to the pandemic. He said the telephone never stops ringing, and as soon as you hang up on a call, another one rings through. I believe he has sold all of the Evinrude E-TEC engines he had in inventory.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:25 am

As of 11 Jan 2021, the local dealer here still has six E-TEC engines available. Not much moving in the winter months around here.
  • one 200-HP E-TEC G2
  • two 150-HP E-TEC G2
  • one115-HP E-TEC G2
  • two 30-HP legacy E-TEC

ScooterII

Postby ScooterII » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:13 am

On January 5, 2021, Causeway Marina, a small dealer in Elizabeth City, North Carolina, had three E-TEC engines in their showroom.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:59 am

[Deleted several posts on the sidebar topics on what sort of recreational activities some outboard engine dealers undertake when they are closed for the winter, and comments about unnamed dealers in unnamed locations and their business relationship with certain participants, all of which seems to have no relationship to the topic of the availability of new and unused E-TEC engines in January 2021.]

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:23 pm

I just spoke with my local dealer, LOCKEMAN'S HARDWARE AND BOAT, regarding availability of new, unused E-TEC engines. Their situation with inventory of new, used E-TEC engines is changed from my earlier reporting. As of January 12, 2021, Lockeman's Hardware and Boat have the following new, unused, E-TEC engines in stock:
  • two 25-HP
  • two 40-HP
  • one 50-HP
  • two 115-HP three-cylinder G2
  • one 150-HP
  • one 90-HP XL

An authorized Evinrude dealer can contact the Evinrude factory and determine the exact inventory available from other dealers for a particular model E-TEC engine. Lockeman's has used this method to have new, unused E-TEC engines shipped to them from other dealers to sell to their customers who wanted a particular E-TEC model. All engines that Lockeman's buys and ships-in must still be in their original factory shipping crates so that the engine will be properly protected during shipping.

Evinrude is very active in helping their dealers clear out any unsold E-TEC engine inventory. (I suspect they want to clear the way for any new boat propulsion products they may introduce in the future.)

Further, Lockeman's has been able to obtain new and unused E-TEC engines from some boat builders who have unsold E-TEC engines in their inventory, providing another channel to obtain new and unused E-TEC engines for Lockeman's customers.

For anyone seeking a new, unused E-TEC engine, I suggest contacting Lockeman's Hardware and Boat. Lockeman's is an Evinrude Platinum Certified Dealer. They were also recognized as a National Sales Leader by Evinrude. They have been in business for 102-years at the same location. Contact Information is available from their website, http://www.lockemans.com.

Anyone looking for a new E-TEC should contact Lockeman's about buying an engine from them. Customers of Lockeman's often travel hundreds of miles (or more) to obtain a new engine with proper installation on their boat or have an existing engine serviced properly.

ASIDE: Lockeman's has also taken on two new lines: they are in the process of becoming a dealer for SUZUKI outboard engines and for POLARCRAFT boats. And, of course, Lockeman's will continue to provide expert service for Evinrude engines, including the E-TEC, E-TEC G2, FICHT, and older engines. With many surrounding Evinrude dealers planning to curtail service on Evinrude engines, Lockeman's anticipates their service business will increase.

My relationship with Lockeman's is as a very satisfied customer.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:45 pm

So [new. unused E-TEC engines are] out there. Thanks for that link.

kwik_wurk

Postby kwik_wurk » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:13 pm

At what was once a high volume [Evinrude] dealer in the [Pacific northwest] I saw [three E-TEC engines] on display. Two were 90-HP; the other was a G2 150 or 200. Two more were into a corner with SOLD tags on them. So [new, unused E-TEC engines] are around.

ASIDE: there are some nice EVINRUDE-branded outboard engine stands for sale.

floater

Postby floater » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:19 am

Many marine dealers exhibit at the Toronto Boat Show. I've found several dealerships here in Ontario selling E-TEC engines from their inventory. I saw an E-TEC G2 200 25-inch shaft at US-$18,000 reduced from $22,700. [That price was] very tempting.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:51 am

$18,000 is very tempting? I can get a brand new 200 Suzuki for around $12,000 in Florida. Installed for $14,000.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

floater

Postby floater » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:04 pm

Up here in Canada [$18,000 for a 200-HP engine] is the best price I've seen. Down there in Florida it may seem like a rip. I [will] send you the money and you [can] mail me a engine.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:49 pm

You can do that. Back in the early 2000's it was much cheaper for me to import a Honda from Canada. Shipping was less than the sales tax I did not have to pay.

There is an Evinrude dealer by me with a new 40-HP for $3,800. A 60-HP for $5300 and a 140-HP G2 for $8200.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:51 pm

biggiefl wrote:I can get a brand new 200 Suzuki for around $12,000 in Florida. Installed for $14,000.

Yeah, but I would have to trailer my boat down to Florida, hang out in Florida for a week or two while the engine was rigged, and then trailer back to Michigan. That's about 4,000-miles and maybe six days on the road, a lot of time, a lot of gasoline in the car, a lot of wear and tear on the boat, the trailer, my truck, on me, and two weeks out of my life. Some things are just not worth it. And I can get a 200-HP for about the same price up here in Michigan.

By the way, if I were a dealer who was selling Evinrude E-TEC engines, I would give a lot of thought to getting a SUZUKI outboard engine dealership to replace the Evinrude engines. I think SUZUKI engines would be a good fit for an ex-Evinrude dealer for the following reasons:

--SUZUKI has fewer dealers than Mercury and Yamaha, so less competition than if the dealer went with those brands;
--SUZUKI has fewer new-boat locked-in boat-engine packages, so more likely to be considered in re-power situations;
--SUZUKI engines are already familiar to EVINRUDE because at one time Evinrude were selling re-badged SUZUKI engines as Evinrude or Johnson engines;
--SUZUKI is probably looking for more dealers, particularly in certain areas where there are almost none;
--SUZUKI is not MERCURY, as most Evinrude dealers have been selling against Mercury for decades and have probably been telling their customers that Mercury engines were inferior to Evinrude;
--SUZUKI usually sells below the price of YAMAHA, so the engines will be very price-competitive

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:11 am

biggiefl wrote:There is an Evinrude dealer by me with a new 140-HP G2 for $8200.

I really like that E-TEC G2 three-cylinder 140-HP engine, and that $8,200 price sounds good. It is such a good price I think you should buy another Boston Whaler boat just to have a transom for that engine. I think it would be good on an 17 OUTRAGE II or a classic OUTRAGE 18 (if you don't want a 50-MPH boat).

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:35 am

It is tempting for my 18' Outrage but not going to happen. Main reason is they are waaaay too ugly.