Cost of Boat Canvas

A conversation among Whalers
Steeda67

Cost of Boat Canvas

Postby Steeda67 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:02 pm

I got quoted a jaw dropping price for [a 170 MONTAUK bow dodger].

[MODERATOR'S NOTED: moved from the MARKETPLACE forum. This post in MARKETPLACE elicited a discussion. Due to my mistake in moving the thread, two posts were lost. I regret that loss and encourage the two other posters to respond here--jimh]

jimh

Cost of Boat Canvas

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:58 am

Re a quote for some boat canvas that was apparently so high that it caused the potential buyer's jaw to drop.

Boat canvas that is designed to fit only one particular boat model and is specific to that particular boat model is inherently not likely to be a mass-produced product that is manufactured, distributed, and sits on the shelf of retailers waiting for customers to walk in and buy it.

Boat canvas designed to fit only one particular boat model is generally an artisanal product, that is, it is a product made by an artisan. An artisan is a worker who practices a trade or craft, and often refers to a person that makes something in limited quantities using traditional methods. That definition fits makers of boat canvas very well.

Boat canvas is often made from premium fabrics that possess special characteristics, such as resistance to water, resistance to sunlight, long service life, and an attractive appearance often with many colors available.

Boats in general, and particularly recreational boats, are often expected to have a pleasing appearance and good design, and accessories attached to them are thus also expected to have a pleasing appearance and good design. And above all, boats and their accessories are expected to have great utility, tolerance for sun and water, and long useful service lives.

Don't confuse other products made from inexpensive cloth and mass produced with hand-crafted artisanal boat canvas of unique design made with premium fabric like Glen Raven Mills SUNBRELLA.

jimh

Re: Cost of ANYTHING Boat-related

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:13 pm

There is an old saying that any component or part with the word "marine" prefixed to it means the price has doubled.

In the 1980's I was a crewing on a fairly serious racing sailboat. There was a very competitive fleet of sailboat racers on Lake St. Clair in those days. A source for the more exotic sailboat parts that might be used in racing was from an old hardware store in Grosse Pointe. Thomas Hardware had a huge inventory of sailboat rigging parts, and the owner was really an expert in finding just the right part for you. Some little stainless steel fitting or some titanium pulley ( a block on a sailboat) were always available. Of course, the prices were rather high, and among the sail boat racing crowd Thomas Hardware was often referred to as "Thomas Jewelry."

Phil T

Re: Cost of Boat Canvas

Postby Phil T » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:26 pm

A bow dodger is a unique accessory on the Montauk 170. Mills Canvas still offers them.
http://cf.millscanvas.com/cfml/Product_Detail.CFM?ProductID=208

The dodger is expensive but so are most canvas accessories. I doubt a local fabricator can match the fit/quality of the Mills offering.

TN170 Mtk shelter.jpg
TN170 Mtk shelter.jpg (3.04 KiB) Viewed 2853 times
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

GoldenDaze

Postby GoldenDaze » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:49 pm

About 15 years ago I bought a Mills dodger for my 160 Dauntless.

(http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/shelter.html).

I believe I paid about $1,100 for it. As Phil mentioned, the quality is top-notch and 15 years later it is still in excellent condition (minus a patch where a mouse nested one winter). Before buying from Mills, I talked to two local canvas shops and they both quoted me over $3,000.

—Bob
2003 160 Dauntless Golden Daze

paulharmo

Postby paulharmo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:47 am

Thanks for the extra detail, Jim - for a year or so, I have unknowingly lived close to Thomas Hardware in the Park, and it looks like I certainly owe them a visit.

Are they still on Charlevoix, or are they down on St. Jean in Detroit now? I am seeing conflicting locations.

Relatively on-topic, do you or anyone else local have recommendations on where to have a Sunbrella interior cover custom made from Sunbrella? I have an original Mills console cover, but it is in poor shape, and would much prefer a custom-fit to cover the cooler and pilot seats as well.
Paul
1974 Outrage 21 - Twin Yamaha 90 - Work in Progress

jimh

ASIDE: Thomas Hardware

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:41 pm

ASIDE: Thomas Hardware
My sailboat racing days more or less ended in 1997, which is the year I bought my first Boston Whaler. I haven't been to Thomas Hardware in several decades. I cannot image Warren, the original proprietor, could still be around. He had boxes and drawers and shelves full of sailboat hardware, most of it without a price marked. If you found something you needed, he would eye you up and then announce the price.

Here is another story: In 1988 I was heading up to Manitoulin island to take over on a sailboat charter. The day before we are to leave, the previous-week charterer informs that the cockpit wheel steering was broken, and the boat was out of commission. I went to Thomas Hardware and consulted with the proprietor, a great fellow named Warren. I explained the problem, the model of the boat, and asked for advice I what to take with me so I could fix the problem. He picked out a collection of cables, clamps, thimbles, and other stuff I might need. The price was not exorbitant, $25, and I took all those spare parts with me. When I got to Manitoulin Island, I hired a rigger from the local boat yard, Boile's Marine, and he crawled into the very cramped quarters under the cockpit at the helm pedestal and made the actual repairs. I tell this story in my SAIL LOG for that trip:

http://continuouswave.com/sail-logs/nc1988/

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:42 pm

paulharmo wrote:...do you or anyone else local have recommendations on where to have a Sunbrella interior cover custom made from Sunbrella?

Try Lakeshore Boat Top
https://www.lakeshoreboattop.com/

They have been around for decades.

paulharmo

Postby paulharmo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:04 pm

jimh wrote:Try Lakeshore Boat Top
https://www.lakeshoreboattop.com/

They have been around for decades.

Thanks, Jim. I spoke with them briefly at Colony Marine's sales day about a helm pad, and have their card. I'll reach out to them.
Paul
1974 Outrage 21 - Twin Yamaha 90 - Work in Progress