Insurance Adjustment Quote for Replacement Railing for Newport 17

A conversation among Whalers
fish-r-ride

Insurance Adjustment Quote for Replacement Railing for Newport 17

Postby fish-r-ride » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:55 pm

Where can the railing for a NEWPORT 17 be purchased?

Where can the railing for a NEWPORT 17 be fabricated?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BACKSTORY. My shed collapsed. I want to get prices because I know most all the railing is going to have to be replaced. [Later disclosed that a price for replacement railing was needed to get an insurance adjustment for damage]

I was suppose to take my boat for two weeks at spring break. I am trying to get [the railing] repaired as quickly as possible.

Phil T

Re: Insurance Adjustment Quote for Replacement Railing for Newport 17

Postby Phil T » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:49 pm

It would really help if you included your location for local or regional vendor recommendations.

I doubt a fabricator will be able to do a quick repair due to COVID.

Remove the rail and go on your trip.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

fish-r-ride

Re: Railing for 17' Newport

Postby fish-r-ride » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:51 pm

I'm in East Texas. The snow and ice caved in my shed my [NEWPORT 17] was under. I will probably go without the rail, but I will still need to get it fixed.

Right now I need a price for Insurance on the railings.I hope there is no or little fiberglass damage.

ASIDE: I will be taking [the NEWPORT 17] to Florida this summer and you know [the NEWPORT 17] will have to look good for that. I spent about $3,000 on the [NEWPORT 17] last year restoring teak, seat, rub rail, new parts on the rail itself, and some minor fiberglass work.

jimh

Re: Insurance Adjustment Quote for Replacement Railing for Newport 17

Postby jimh » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:34 pm

fish-r-ride wrote:Where can the railing for a NEWPORT 17 be purchased?

Since the NEWPORT 17 model has been out of production for several decades, I doubt that there are replacement railings sitting on the shelf of retailers for a NEWPORT 17 waiting for you to buy them. Even when the NEWPORT 17 was still in production, the only likely source of a replacement OEM railing would be from Boston Whaler.

The NEWPORT 17 boat bow railing was quite different from the bow railing on other 17-foot models. This uniqueness also suggests that finding a replacement railing already fabricated and waiting to be sold will be very unlikely.

fish-r-ride wrote:...I need a price for Insurance on the railings.

To get an insurance adjustment for damage, get a quote from your local Boston Whaler dealer for having them custom fabricate a new railing or get a factory replacement. Or call SUE LODEL at TWIN CITY MARINE in Wisconsin. Ask her for a recommendation for a fabricator for a NEWPORT 17 railing.

In reality, your best bet is to preserve the original railing as much as possible, and find someone local to you that might be able to duplicate it or repair it. I am not familiar with vendors in east Texas that do custom stainless steel boat railings, but I would expect in a larger city like Houston there ought to be someone in that business.

fish-r-ride wrote:I'm in East Texas. The snow and ice caved in my shed my [NEWPORT 17] was under. I will probably go without the rail, but I will still need to get it fixed.

Right now I need a price for Insurance on the railings.I hope there is no or little fiberglass damage.

fish-r-ride wrote:ASIDE: I will be taking [the NEWPORT 17] to Florida this summer...
I am certain that in Florida you will be able to find a shop or artisan that can repair the damage to the railing on the NEWPORT 17. There is an enormous concentration of boat-related fabricators in Florida.