Trailering a 170 Montauk

A conversation among Whalers
bmat5

Trailering a 170 Montauk

Postby bmat5 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:22 am

I will be trailering a 2005 170 Montauk with the original Mercury 90-HP engine on a Karavan bunk trailer on a 300-mile trip.

The previous owner of the boat mentioned that a transom-saver-type support isn't necessary. He further mentioned using the tilt support lever on the engine as the correct means of supporting the engine for a long trip.

However, the Mercury owner's manual states the tilt support lever is not intended to be used for trailering.

[What is the] proper position for the engine when trailering?

[What is the] proper method to support the engine on the transom when trailering?

Jefecinco

Re: Trailering a 170 Montauk

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:21 am

We have a "transom saver" we bought for a few dollars at Walmart. We use it for travel out of town. When trailering a previous Dauntless 16 with an OMC 115 HP engine we used a two foot long scrap piece of 4X4 inch lumber as a transom saver and it did just fine.

I don't know if a transom saver is necessary but it provided us a little peace of mind.
Butch

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:04 am

The prefered position for trailering is placing the outboard in the down postion.

If this is not practical due to clearance problems, you can raise the engine to gain sufficient clearance. Many owners use a device to support the engine by connecting it to the trailer frame. Others use a block or wedge.

I prefer the block of wood or https://m-ywedge.com/
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:26 pm

Ignore the previous owner's advice. Follow the operating guide.

As Phil mentions, If the engine sked will have sufficient ground clearance when the boat is on the trailer, tilt the engine down so the engine leg is vertical.

If there is not sufficient ground clearance, the tilt up the engine somewhat, but never to full-up or nearly horizontal position.

I presume the Mercury engine on the 170 MONTAUK has a hydraulic trim-tilt actuator. If the hydraulic system uses two sets of actuator rams, two rams for the trim range and a single ram for the tilt range, tilt down the engine so it comes to rest on the top of the two trim actuators. If the trim-tilt system is working as it should, the engine should sit there forever and not drift down. The engine should also not be able to bounce upward, either, as the tilt ram should prevent that. This position should increase the ground clearance enough for any sort of trailering.

Some outboard engines, notably ones made by Evinrude and Johnson, typically incorporate a trailering support bracket. The bracket just prevents the engine from being tilted down farther than a particular fixed angle.

Mercury outboard engines tend to NOT have any built-in trailering position bracket or lock mechanism, nor do Yamaha engines. For this reason a clever fellow invented the M-Y (as in Mercury-Yamaha) Transom Saver product. Many boaters with Mercury or Yamaha engines buy the M-Y Transom Saver product to create a means of preventing their engine from being able to drift down below a particular position when on the trailer. This can occur if the trim-tilt system is not working correctly, that is, if there are leaking seals or check valves in the system. The transom saver also claims to provide some cushioning for sudden downward movements of the engine.

The M-Y Transom Saver is a handy accessory and doesn't cost very much. It seems to be popular. It's $40--and in the cost of boating that is nothing.

I have never used an M-Y Transom Saver. When I had Yamaha engines I just lowered them until they hit the trim-range rams. I probably trailered over 20,000-miles that way.

My Evinrude engine has a trailer lock bracket built in. I used it all the time.

If the Mercury 90-HP engine has carburetors, then when the boat is just sitting on the trailer for storage, set the engine trim so the leg is vertical. This will prevent fuel from spilling from the carburetors. I did always did this with my V6 carburetor engine with six carburetors. As much as possible I tried to keep that engine trim set for the leg to be vertical to keep the fuel in the carburetors from spilling between uses. And, of course, tilting a carburetor engine to horizontal is the fastest way to spill fuel out of the carburetors.

Regarding the transom: the transom should be strong and completely rigid. If there is any tendency for the transom of deflect or move, the transom has some defect. The more vertically the engine is positioned when trailering, the less stress on the transom as the forces trying to deflect the transom will be minimized.

Regarding ground clearance: when trailering the boat, be aware that the most likely situation for the engine skeg to hit the pavement will be when traversing pavement which makes a sharp downhill dip and then a sharp rise. Entrances to retail gasoline stations often exhibit that feature. When the trailer wheels are at the low point, and your car is on the upslope, the engine skeg will become closer to the ground than when the trailer is on level pavement. Watch out for that sort of transition in your route.

bmat5

Postby bmat5 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:44 pm

Yet again, great advice from this forum and much appreciated. I intend to trailer in the vertical position as it seems preferred for both outboard stability and the carburetors. I will keep a close eye to ensure there is sufficient clearance for the skeg. Thanks.