Smaller OUTRAGE Boat Cleats: Use for Towing

A conversation among Whalers
805Whaler

Smaller OUTRAGE Boat Cleats: Use for Towing

Postby 805Whaler » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:36 pm

Are the cleats on the smaller OUTRAGE boats backed?

Are the cleats on the smaller OUTRAGE boats sturdy enough to handle short tows?

Backstory: I recently bought a 1997 17 Outrage. I volunteer with the USCG Auxiliary. I would like to use my 1997 17 Outrage II as a facility [a term used by the USCG Auxiliary to mean use of a privately-owned boat in official USCG Auxiliary activities--Moderator]. I do not want to over-stress or break anything. We often practice towing other vessels. My feeling is Boston Whaler boats are probably plenty well-built for this, but want to make sure before I strain or break something. I love the boat so far, and am happy to join the Whaler family.

Phil T

Re: Smaller OUTRAGE Boat Cleats: Use for Towing

Postby Phil T » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:18 pm

For towing or lift, use the transom tow eyes on the outside.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: Smaller OUTRAGE Boat Cleats: Use for Towing

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:52 pm

To assess if the cleats are reinforced with backing plates on your Boston Whaler boat, examine the underside of the deck or gunwale for the presences of an external backing plate. I do not think you will find backing plates and through-bolted cleats on recreational boats from Boston Whaler.

Generally the cleats will be fastened to internal embedded reinforcement material contained in the hull or in the deck or gunwale laminate. All Boston Whaler Unibond hulls are molded with many embedded reinforcements in various areas. These reinforcements and their location are shown of what has come to be know is a "wood locating diagram," although in many cases the embedded reinforcements are not always wood; they can be a resin-infused sheet material sometimes referred to as WhaleBoard, or more generally as resin-infused thermosetting laminate sheets with designators like G-8 or G-10 or similar.

With regard to use in towing, your inquiry is not clear if your smaller OUTRAGE boat is to be the boat being towed or the boat doing the towing of another boat.

If you need to tow your Boston Whaler boat at slow, displacement hull speeds, you can probably tow the boat using the bow eye on the bow stem. The bow eye on most Boston Whaler recreational boats is through-bolted and is generally strong enough to be used to lift the boat and support the expected weight of the boat being suspended in a horizontal and level position that will exist on a three-point lift with two lifts at the stern eyes and one lift at the bow eye. The bow eye is probably not suitable for high-speed towing. Boston Whaler offers optional bow towing eyes on some models for high-speed towing. Those options are usually several thousand dollars and are offered on larger Boston Whaler boats that are intended as tenders for very large luxury yachts.

If you need to tow another boat with your Boston Whaler, you should use a bridle and attach the bridle to the through-bolted stern eyes on the transom.