Crafty Solution for Fuel Hose Routing with On-deck Fuel Tanks

A conversation among Whalers
MarkCz

Crafty Solution for Fuel Hose Routing with On-deck Fuel Tanks

Postby MarkCz » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:02 pm

I had problems with [fuel hose clearance] with an on-deck fuel tank on my Montauk with Reversible Pilot Seat. I cut [two] thick rubber mats that fit into the original 6-gallon-fuel-tank tank mats. The [elevation of the on-deck fuel tank above the deck created] by the two pads [also created a center gap that] allowed the fuel line to fit there.

jimh

Re: Crafty Solution for Fuel Hose Routing with On-deck Fuel Tanks

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:20 pm

For more on fitting on-deck fuel tanks under a helm seat, see

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... lTank.html

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:38 pm

MarkCz wrote:I had problems with [fuel hose clearance] with an on-deck fuel tank. I cut [two] thick rubber mats that fit into the original 6-gallon-fuel-tank tank mats. The [elevation of the on=-deck fuel tank above the deck created] by the two pads [also created a center gap that] allowed the fuel line to fit there.

Mark--I like your solution, but by raising the tank higher, didn't you encounter a problem with the vertical clearance of the Moeller 22 or 24-gallon white on-deck fuel tank with the bottom of the classic Reversible Pilot Seat?

Also, what was the total height gap under the tank when on the new taller mats? I would think you'd need enough room for the fuel hose to bend 90-degrees to go through the original hole. A rubber fuel hose would need a minimum bend radius to make that 90-degree transition.

MarkCz

Postby MarkCz » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:13 am

When I used the 3/4-inch-thick mats to gain clearance for the hose under my new larger tank there was still over 1-1/4-inch vertical clearance under the seat.

As for the bend in the hose I just let the hose make a gentle curve. I did not pull the hose tight to the tank--not perfect but I did not want to drill a hole.

The gap under the new tank between the original gas tank pads is 1-inch.