ID Stamped in Storage Well

A conversation among Whalers
floater

ID Stamped in Storage Well

Postby floater » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:53 pm

I was cleaning my 1998 Revenge 20 WT and noticed some numbers stamped inside one of the seat wells in the forward berth. They are 8A1692. Would this be the identity of the mold used when they made the boat? Just curious

jimh

Re: Stencil Serial Number

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:21 am

The question you are asking is a frequently-asked question and the answer has been prepared many years ago. You can find the answer by reading the FAQ--FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS--section of the website. Here is a link to the FAQ:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/

The specific answer to your frequently-asked question is given in the answer to

Q2: Where is the Hull Identification Number?
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q2

floater wrote:I...noticed some [characters] stamped inside one of the seat wells in the forward berth....
Your visual impression of the alphanumeric characters is incorrect. They are not "stamped" onto the hull, as in using some sort of ink and a stamping pad to transfer the ink to the hull. They are molded into the hull during its fabrication by using a different color gel coat resin. This is explained in the FAQ.

floater wrote:They are 8A1692.
That sequence is known as "the stencil identification number." This is explained in the FAQ. For a few models, mainly the 13-foot and 16-foot hulls, the stencil number can be interpreted to a particular manufacturing epoch by reading the REFERENCE articles on those hulls. This is explained in the FAQ.

floater wrote:Would this be an id number of the mold used when they made the boat?
No. The stencil number does not identify the mold. The stencil number identifies the hull and liner. This is explained in the FAQ.

I highly recommend you read the FAQ answer to Q2. It will give you the information you are asking about.

As a general source of good information, I recommend you read the answers to all the FAQ questions.