FRONTIER Value, Ride

A conversation among Whalers
Anthonylouis

FRONTIER Value, Ride

Postby Anthonylouis » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:25 pm

I am set on a FRONTIER or maybe a CHALLENGER. I have been stumbling onto some [of these boat for sale] recently.

boat_.jpg
Fig. 1. Unidentified boat, low resolution image.
boat_.jpg (14.35 KiB) Viewed 3053 times

All the FRONTIER boats that are available need work. There is one in California listed for $32,000 that needs a bunch of work and has a sterndrive that runs. And there is one in Texas that is $15,000 and needs to be re-powered and retrofitted. It would be nice to wait for one from the auction for a steal but I kind of want to get a retrofit started.

What is the value of a c.1980 FRONTIER with the hull in sound condition?

From anyone who has ever ridden in a FRONTIER, what is the ride?

I am a bit obsessed with the look of the FRONTIER, but I have also been looking at CHALLENGER, GUARDIAN, OFFSHORE 27, and VIGILANT boats. A VIGILANT would be ideal--but I can't find any.

Phil T

Re: FRONTIER Value, Ride

Postby Phil T » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:26 am

Having done an inspection of two Challenger 27 boat, I am very smitten. Then again, it depends how you are going to use the boat.

For cruising year round in the upper NW, Alaska or DownEast --> Challenger.

For fishing, diving, freight, etc ---> Frontier.

Demand is through the roof, the prices are ridiculous, and the supply is very limited--practically non-existant for the models you are looking for.

What you will find are the extremes: totally restored boats for $100,000; or complete project boats for $15,000 to $20,000.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Anthonylouis

Postby Anthonylouis » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:45 am

Thanks for the information.

The boat would be used in Florida as a utility boat and a tow boat.

My dream is to retrofit the boat to be used for diving, fishing, and recreation. The low cabin height may not work for me; I am six-feet tall.

Would [a FRONTIER] boat be out of the question for taking to the Bahamas from Miami?

I think I can get the owner down to around $10,000 to $12,000, but also I have to transport it about 1,800 miles to get to me.

The owner contacted me yesterday and showed the engine running. But the to-do list on it for a retrofit seems like everything may need to be redone.

On the other hand I found a cherry 27 Guardian in Puerto Rico for $38,000 with twin 2004 Yamaha 225-HP engines.

I want to be patient. I don’t know when the next FRONTIER or CHALLENGER or VIGILANT will pop-up in my price range.

Phil T

Re: Used Market for Commercial Boston Whaler Boats

Postby Phil T » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:14 pm

The CGP or BCPD boat market is challenging, even in good times.

The Frontier, based on the Outrage 25 hull is smaller, lighter than the Challenger or Guardian 27.

As for navigating between Miami to Nassau, Bahamas, the distance is 185-miles. For any boat, it is a matter of sea conditions, engines, and fuel capacity.

I would NOT do a trip like this on a boat with a single engine.

As for candidates, it really is your math.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Anthonylouis

Postby Anthonylouis » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:18 am

I haven’t gone offshore on a single screw since I was a little kid, and I wouldn’t consider it now in most circumstances, even if it were just Bimini.

Going on my third term as a 100-ton Master, and I currently own my seventh Boston Whaler-- but I’m still a novice.

As I’ve said before I’ve been on the search for these boat for a while. No VIGILANT or 27 OFFSHORE. But fortunately I’ve just stumbled upon a some good options. Just need to weight the choices.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:49 am

Re the OFFSHORE 27: I have always admired the look of the OFFSHORE 27. I have never been aboard one. I was somewhat surprised to read some less than enthusiastic comments about the ride qualities of the 27-foot classic hull from someone who was out on one in the Pacific Ocean.

The classic 25-foot hull delivers a very good ride.

Of course, none of the moderate V-hull and not-too-sharp bow entry Boston Whaler hulls are much good for banging into big head seas. But they track down sea with very little tendency to bow steer.

I think Phil's assessment of the price range is likely accurate. Any 27-foot hulls in pristine condition will be expensive. And un-restored heavily-used 27-foot commercial boats will not be in very yachty condition.

These bigger hulls demand twin engines, and today, a pair of new 250-HP engine will cost $50,000. I believe the cost to re-power with twin outboard engines at today's prices is what accounts for the relatively lower asking prices for some of the larger boats with very old twin engines.

Even with modern fuel-efficient outboard engines, pushing a 27-foot classic Boston Whaler hull on plane at 30-MPH is going to consume a lot of fuel. The fuel economy is going to be in the 1.5-MPG range, and with older engines, probably in the 1-MPG range.

From Miami to Bimini is only 52-miles. Getting there on a 25-footer or 27-footer with twin engines and appropriate fuel capacity should not be a problem.