OEM Seat Pads for c.1972 13-footer: Need advice

A conversation among Whalers
jjacobs

OEM Seat Pads for c.1972 13-footer: Need advice

Postby jjacobs » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:29 pm

I have a set of what I believe are original seat pads for my 1972 13-footer.

seatPads.jpg
Fig. 1. Seat pads from c.1972 consisting of three seat bottom cushions and one seat back cushion.
seatPads.jpg (75.21 KiB) Viewed 2953 times

seatPadsLabel_.jpg
Fig. 2. Label on seat pads from c.1972
seatPadsLabel_.jpg (45.16 KiB) Viewed 2953 times

The seat pads (see above) came with the 1972 13-footer when purchased by me as a used boat in 2006.

I have never used these seat pads, and I don't think they had much use before I acquired them.

Because there are Boston Whaler labels sewn on them, I assume they were sold as accessories by Boston Whaler.

The seat pads are slightly faded on the sun-facing sides, but unfaded on the backs. There are three seat pads, and one seat back pad.

I'm moving and I don't want to throw them in the trash, but I don't want to take them with me either.

What is their value?

My main objective is to put these seat pads into the hands of someone who will appreciate them for their historic value.

Give me some advice. Thanks,

jimh

Re: OEM Seat Pads for c.1972 13-footer: Need advice

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:17 pm

If you want to get rid of them, you should post a notice of For-sale in MARKETPLACE and set a very low price. I am certain the cushions will be of interest to someone, more as a practical cushion to use than as an historical artifact. If getting rid of them at a very low price, you might give some consideration to the recipient. There are many participants here with 13-footer who have been active for years in contributing to the website and forum, and it would be nice if they got a preference for your gift, rather than some commercial reseller who jumps on your for-sale post and would likely re-sell them.

By the way, where are you located? A local recipient might be the best one.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:20 pm

As historical artifacts, the cushions--that is the images of them and their existence--are very interesting. I do not believe cushions like these have been mentioned, seen, or discussed before. Thanks for this most interesting information.

jjacobs

Postby jjacobs » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:14 pm

I'm in the Boston area, and would definitely prefer that these go to someone who is an enthusiast rather than a reseller.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:58 am

Why are there three pads? Are they for a Super Sport with a backrest?

Their existence is very interesting and the condition is surprising. It's also interesting that they are intended for lacing beneath the thwart and behind the backrest. Boston Whaler would use snaps for mounting the cushions on boats of this era.

I think they would have exceptional value to anyone with a pristine restored 13 used primarily for showing.
Butch

jjacobs

Postby jjacobs » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:18 am

My boat is a Super Sport with the back rest. The pads came with the boat, but not installed on the boat, when I bought it in 2005ish. As to whether they are original to my specific boat is a mystery.

I've found someone with a "show boat" to take them. Although I keep my boat pristine, it is still used regularly and doesn't qualify as a show boat.