Recommend Yamaha Dealer in North Carolina; Gel Coat Repair Vendor

A conversation among Whalers
BassettBW

Recommend Yamaha Dealer in North Carolina; Gel Coat Repair Vendor

Postby BassettBW » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:45 pm

Give me a recommendation for a Yamaha outboard engine dealer in North Carolina.

Also, give me a recommendation for a vendor in North Carolina to do gel coat work.

BACK STORY I want to re-power my 1987 Montauk with a Yamaha 70. I contacted a dealer in Morehead City, North Carolina. This dealer said my boat is beyond the age for this dealer's re-power.

What the heck? Really? A 1987?

Phil T

Re: Recommend Yamaha Dealer in North Carolina; Gel Coat Repair Vendor

Postby Phil T » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:58 pm

It would help to know the name of the dealer for others to be aware of.

That is shameful. Most likely he is deflecting from the news there is a several month wait for a motor as demand has outstripped production of many models across the brands.

https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/find-a-dealer
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:50 pm

I have never heard of an age limit for a boat to qualify for a new engine. It sounds like the dealer is unfamiliar with Boston Whaler boats and their useful service life.

Perhaps that dealer has some bad experiences with previous customers who put a new engine on an old boat (on its last legs) and were disappointed with the outcome in some way, and that has caused the dealer to avoid getting into those situations again.

Regarding "gel coat work": usually in any area with a high population of boaters there will be an artisan with a shop that does "fiberglass repair." Ask around with some local new-boat dealer for a recommendation for such a service provider.

Without knowing where you are located in North Carolina, it would be difficult to know where to look for a provider.

MarkCz

Postby MarkCz » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:18 pm

I have heard of outboard shops refusing to work on older engines beyond the typical new water pump but never heard of an outboard dealer saying your boats too old. I am glad he is not a heart surgeon.